PDA

View Full Version : My Gambler Tabaxi

Soylentmatt
2020-03-16, 09:32 AM
Can you guys check out this level-by-level character plan and tell me what you think? I think he's going to be fun to play, but I'd love it if you all could take a look and tell me if there are any errors I made or just some weaknesses that'll make him less fun?

I didn't make him with a specific plan; if anything he's a skill build, but I tried to make him at least reasonably capable in combat at the same time. I did that by focusing entirely on a single sneak attack that will eventually use booming blade and that I can supplement with hex or hexblade's curse. There are spells from a few places but I tried to avoid spells that would trigger a save of any kind, instead just buffs that would help my guy move.

He's just a basic breakdown:

Standard Array:
STR: 8 DEX: 15 CON: 12 INT: 10 WIS: 14 CHA: 13

Tabaxi
Proficiencies: Language (elven)

Custom Background: gambler
Skills: Insight & Intimidation
Proficiencies: Game (deck), Language (dwarven)

Rogue 1
Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Investigation, Sleight of Hand (expertise in Stealth & Athletics)

Rogue 2

Rogue 3 - Scout

Rogue 4
ASI - +2 DEX

Warlock 1 - Hexblade
Spells: Booming Blade, Mage Hand, Hex, Shield

Warlock 2
Invocations: Devil's Sight, Beguiling Influence
Spells: Armor of Agathys

Rogue 5

Rogue 6
Skills: (expertise in Perception & Deception)

Rogue 7

Rogue 8
ASI - +1 DEX, +1 CON

Bard 1
Skills: Performance
Proficiencies: Instrument (Harmonica)
Spells: Light, Message, Longstrider, Feather Fall, Disguise Self, Healing Word

Bard 2
Spells: Comprehend Languages

Bard 3 - College of Lore
Skills: Medicine, Animal Handling, History (expertise in persuasion & investigation)
Spells: (lose Comprehend Languages) Enhance Ability, See Invisibility

Cleric 1 - Knowledge
Spells: Guidance, Resistance, Mending, Bless, Cure Wounds, Sanctuary
Languages: Celestial, Abyssal
Skills: Arcana, Religion

Rogue 9

Rogue 10
ASI - feat: Resilient (CON)

Rogue 11

Rogue 12
ASI - feat: Mobile

Rogue 13

Bard 4
ASI - feat: Mobile
Spells: Prestidigitation, Invisibility

I do this overly-complicated spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y61gZO3pKKmRZFSTLgymZ6dc_ePRIQ-Mpxrn90eFPKE/edit?usp=sharing) to break down everything the character gets level-by-level... I don't know how readable it'll be to anyone that isn't me, but if you want to check it out, and see what's actually going on here, you can.

If I have any big errors or if you have any suggestions for things I could do that might amp him up a little, I'd love to hear them :)

edit: one alternate possibility for that last level could have been a third level in warlock with pact of the chain: an invisible familiar performing the help action is a cool way to get advantage and the 2nd level spell shadow blade would add an extra d8 damage. I decided against it because my DM has this tendency to lean HARD on the patron stuff for Warlock. Every time I dip Warlock, I get anxiety.

CTurbo
2020-03-16, 03:43 PM
I'd replace the Fighter level with a 3rd Warlock level and take the Tome Pact for even MOAR utility.
Bard 4 is another better than Fighter option as it gives you an extra feat. Lucky, Alert, Ritual Caster, Magic Initiate, and even Observant are all great bonus feat picks.

Soylentmatt
2020-03-16, 06:05 PM
I'd replace the Fighter level with a 3rd Warlock level and take the Tome Pact for even MOAR utility.
Bard 4 is another better than Fighter option as it gives you an extra feat. Lucky, Alert, Ritual Caster, Magic Initiate, and even Observant are all great bonus feat picks.

I'm kinda in the same area myself. you know whats slowing me down? I don't quite know what 2nd level spell would actually work with the concept. it's essentially the same problem with warlock 3... in both cases there just aren't spells I want. You're probably right that the extra feat from bard is the way to go as that gets me the most actual improvement.

If anything, I almost want to do the extra class at 20th as a joke, because once you hit 20th level you're essentially done with the character, so it's almost a waste to plan your character that high?

edit: well hold on. I don't have invisibility. That should be a no-brainer. plus with multiclassing spellcasters I'll get a couple 3rd level slots that I can use for those healing spells...

edit 2: there we go :)