PDA

View Full Version : Unconnected powerful figure vs. another unconnected powerful figure

Greebo
2007-10-23, 09:06 AM
Who would win? Powerful figure one who is completely and totally unrelated to powerful figure 2 in any way, or powerful figure 2 who is completely and totally unrelated to powerful figure 1 in any way?

Yes, there really is a point to this...

Solo
2007-10-23, 09:07 AM
Chuck Norris wins.

Greebo
2007-10-23, 09:08 AM
Chuck Norris wins.

He's not in the fight, he has connections to both. Sorry. :)

EvilElitest
2007-10-23, 09:25 AM
So Artimis Enterai vs. Ruroni Kenshin
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
from,
EE

edit
Or link vs. seph

Greebo
2007-10-23, 09:34 AM
The intent here is not for people to try to apply names to the figures. The message is different.

Samiam303
2007-10-23, 10:03 AM
That's an impossible scenario. You cannot be completely unconnected in any way and be having a fight... that requires some level of connection.

DomaDoma
2007-10-23, 10:09 AM
Er... apples and oranges, I guess?

WalkingTarget
2007-10-23, 10:37 AM
I'm going to go with Powerful Figure 1 for Reason A.

Of course, this requires you to ignore Powerful Figure 2's Ability β and to grant that the conflict takes place in Neutral Setting Я, but I think that these are reasonable assumptions that any logical person would agree to.

Jorkens
2007-10-23, 11:24 AM
My dad vs. your dad?

Greebo
2007-10-23, 11:35 AM
So far I think Walking Target has gotten closest to the point. ;)

Closet_Skeleton
2007-10-23, 01:05 PM
Figure A has a vulnerability to subtance A, and Figure B has a supply of subtances B and A. But Figure B is an idiot who doesn't even realise what he has so he has no chance against the more intelligence figure A.

EvilElitest
2007-10-23, 01:53 PM
Figure A has an instent death spell, but it may not effect Figure B because he/she is a god, Figure A is immune to most magic, but Figure B is the most powerful caster in their world ect.
You know, you really take the fun out of these vs. threads
from,
EE

Greebo
2007-10-23, 02:45 PM
You know, you really take the fun out of these vs. threads

AHHH!

THATS what I was looking for! :smallamused:

Seriously - the whole reason I started this particular thread was to my thinking, the "unconnected person 1 vs. unconnected person 2" threads have gotten out of hand. In no way am I saying stop - heck, *I* have participated in a few, and as an academic exercise, to a point, they *are* fun.

But look at Sauron vs. Voldemort. Look at how LONG it is...

Ya know, we're debating over fictional characters --- its possible to get *too* intense about or wrapped up in it... :smalleek:

SO I thought a little perspective that these are two completely disconnected people with *no* common frame of reference was called for. They don't matter, the threads don't matter, and other than as a time waster for enjoyment, they shouldn't be taken seriously, in my own, disconnected opinion. :smallcool:

WalkingTarget
2007-10-23, 02:56 PM
...to a point, they *are* fun...

...and other than as a time waster for enjoyment, they shouldn't be taken seriously...

Agreed wholeheartedly.

EvilElitest
2007-10-23, 03:44 PM
But really, they are fun for some people, i think the fun in them is the fact they are unconnected. The amount of debating is extremly entertaining, as i am one of the masters of these sort of threads. Also, compare Sauron vs. Mr. V to Link vs. Seph that hit 53 pages before i won (smile)
The fun in them is the illogical nature of it all, and trying to bring rules to unrealated worlds.
from,
EE

TheEmerged
2007-10-23, 07:56 PM
It depends entirely on whose book the fight is happening in. As we all know, Spiderman can beat Juggernaut if the fight is happening in a Spiderman comic despite all logic to the contrary. Similarly, Storm can defeat Wonder Woman in a fistfight despite all logic to the contrary.

Frankly, that's why I hate Versus threads in a nutshell.

2007-10-23, 08:17 PM
It depends entirely on whose book the fight is happening in. As we all know, Spiderman can beat Juggernaut if the fight is happening in a Spiderman comic despite all logic to the contrary. Similarly, Storm can defeat Wonder Woman in a fistfight despite all logic to the contrary.

Frankly, that's why I hate Versus threads in a nutshell.

Deadpool beat Wolverine in the Wolverine comic.

I'm just saying...

Tom_Violence
2007-10-23, 08:28 PM
That's an impossible scenario. You cannot be completely unconnected in any way and be having a fight... that requires some level of connection.

That may be the most wrong thing I've read in the last month.

It is a thought experiment, right? :smalleek:

Darken Rahl
2007-10-24, 08:37 AM
Sephiroth vs. Mr. T

Fraiser vs. Saruman

Superman vs. The Dude

Napoleon Dynamite vs. Naruto

EvilElitest
2007-10-24, 10:03 AM
The trick of Vs. threads is to find realitivlly neutral ground, and bear in mind, home turf doesn't always win. If Artimis Enterai fights Ruroni Kenshin, then it doesn't matter fighting wise if Enterai is in Kenshin's terrotory, because Kenshin uses a sword anyways, but Enterai's home ground has magic ect.
from,
EE

Blue Paladin
2007-10-24, 10:13 AM
Deadpool beat Wolverine in the Wolverine comic.

I'm just saying...And Wolverine cut off Deadpool's head in Deadpool's comic. Turnabout...

Anyway, with regards to powerful figure 1 and powerful figure 2, if powerful figure 2 has time to prepare, he easily defeats powerful figure 1. QED.

Ramos
2007-10-24, 12:52 PM
Such speculation is useless. All vs fights depend on three things: the staging area, available information and, most importantly, the figures themselves.

If figure A is on par with Eternity and figure B is not, then figure A wins no matter the staging area or available information.

Similarly, no matter how much info you give to someone on par with Daredevil and no matter how you alter the area in their favor, they are not going to win over someone on par with the Phoenix.

Freshmeat
2007-10-24, 01:02 PM
Indiana Jones & MacGyver vs. the A-Team

Arena: An old Mayan temple previously used by Nazis with tons of junk laying around.

Discuss!

factotum
2007-10-24, 05:37 PM
He's not in the fight, he has connections to both. Sorry. :)

If he has connections to both, then the two protagonists have connections to each other via Chuck, so your basic premise goes out the window... :smallbiggrin:

Moff Chumley
2007-10-24, 06:55 PM
Power Figure A has seen to be defeated under A, B, and C circumstances, but excells under circumstance D. Power Figure B has complete and total mastery over circumstances A and D, but is also easilly defeated if D is brough to bear against him/her. PF A's second in command kicks PF B's second in commands arse ten times out of ten, but PF B has an ability to nullify circumstance C, and at the same time, both sideckicks. :smallconfused:

WhiteKnight777
2007-10-24, 08:01 PM
Nice, Greebo. Nice.

The problem with most of these discussions is that there are too many variables to consider. I mean, in most cases the basic rules of reality are different in different' people's universes. Magic in Harry Potter is vastly different from magic in Tolkien, which is in turn vastly different from magic in D&D. Some of these are more like comparing apples to carp than apples to oranges.

Cyrano
2007-10-24, 08:14 PM
Option C comes in and Makes a bomb out of chewing gum / roundhouse kicks them into the sun / eats your sanity.

LordVader
2007-10-24, 08:19 PM
This thread is
Spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam.:smalltongue:

Sure, arguing about who would win is pointless, and geeky, but then, so is wargaming/D&D/online RPing/etc.:smallbiggrin:

If you don't like it, no one's obligating you to participate in it, but let us have our fun, please.

EvilElitest
2007-10-24, 08:23 PM
Nice, Greebo. Nice.

The problem with most of these discussions is that there are too many variables to consider. I mean, in most cases the basic rules of reality are different in different' people's universes. Magic in Harry Potter is vastly different from magic in Tolkien, which is in turn vastly different from magic in D&D. Some of these are more like comparing apples to carp than apples to oranges.

It is very fun however
from,
EE