PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help with a dumb concept

Heavenblade
2020-03-16, 01:20 PM
So after a conversion with a friend, I stumbled across the idea of a character whose motto is "If the problem wasn't solved with duct tape, you didnt use enough duct tape"

Probably CN but a nice type, who just approaches every problem using ONLY duct tape - weapon, spell effects, everything.

Literally every problem in the world approaches

Duct tape man - with an unstable glimmer in his eyes and a wide grin, he lifts a piece of duct tape

"Guys, I got a plan"

So, what is the wierdest/coolest/funniest way to make this concept work?

Weapon wise, he is probably immobilizing people a lot. I was thinking an artificer who uses duct tape in order to create magic items
Or maybe a healer who duct-tapes wounds and stuff

What other ideas for builds that could be themed around "duct tape" do you guys have?

ExLibrisMortis
2020-03-16, 02:33 PM
There's no duct tape in the sourcebooks that I know of. That means you're going to need to make up some rules, or repurpose some existing rules. The first useful bits that spring to mind are Shapesand (for the (re-)morphability) and Kaorti resin (because it's like duct tape).

Shapesand can be shaped into any object with a sufficiently high Wisdom check, and it only takes a standard action, which is useful for those problems that don't stand still.

Kaorti resin doesn't have quite the same morphability, but it's nearly duct tape in flavour. The resin suit, for example, "... consists of thin straps of alchemically treated resin that are wrapped around the body fully, similar to a mummy’s bandages". That's pretty duct-tapey. Dragon #358 has an article on kaorti.

You could simply use regular Craft skills (or the fabricate spell) on large amounts of Kaorti resin created with magic. That's something artificers do well, and it's fast and easy enough to do on a problem-by-problem basis, especially if you use Rapid Spell.

Heavenblade
2020-03-16, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the adice! Anywho, that's less what I was aiming for. I was asking mainly for abilities that could be refluffed as duct tape (healing, crafting, Immobilization come to mind) and how can I combine as many as possible of these in one character?

ExLibrisMortis
2020-03-16, 03:10 PM
Well, web, for starters. Hold person. Repair damage spells. Fabricate, as mentioned. Nets, as in the mundane exotic weapon "net", are a pretty cheap way to entangle one target. Kaorti resin weapons, for when you need tape-based damage. Halphax' Imprison and Secure Shelter abilities. A shaedling's Shadow Gossamer ability. Lots of options.

I mean, this sort of question seems to be a good reason to do some Spell Compendium diving :smalltongue:.

Piggy Knowles
2020-03-16, 03:39 PM
An artificer focused on spell storing item can duplicate any low level spell from any spell list on demand by storing it in an item (such as, say, a roll of duct tape). It seems like a perfect fit here. I always kind of love the idea of an artificer as a grizzled mechanic who uses the spell storing item infusion to juryrig devices into doing things they were never meant to do, and it seems like that would work well with the concept you're going for.

The Insanity
2020-03-16, 03:51 PM
Ask your DM if you can reskin wands and scrolls into duct tape.

lylsyly
2020-03-16, 06:23 PM
You forgot the WD-40 and the Hammer. If it moves and it ain't supposed to Duct Tape it! If it doesn't move and it's supposed to WD-40 it!. If that don't work start with a small hammer and graduate up from there! :smallbiggrin:!!!!

Learned from many life lessons both in the military and out!!

unseenmage
2020-03-16, 07:15 PM
Pathfinder Technology Guide has Ion Tape (https://aonprd.com/EquipmentTechMiscDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Ion%20tape) .

You're welcome. :smallsmile:

Alternatively, I'm known as the guy at our IRL group whose characters do this with rope, graduating to chain when necessary.

With enough rope (and minions!) you can move the world.

EDIT: The whole thread is a treasure grove of amazingly dumb-great ideas but this is my fav use for Ion Tape (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=21329061&postcount=9).

Random Sanity
2020-03-16, 07:23 PM
Crafting-wise, don't forget to check out the assorted Mythbusters episodes where they deal with duct tape myths. You'd be amazed what you can make out of that stuff.

Healing-wise ... look for a webcomic called Nodwick.

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-03-16, 07:24 PM
No mention of Sovereign Glue yet?

nedz
2020-03-16, 07:47 PM
Conceptually there are several builds which come close:

Wizard 20 (Bat man build)

Cleric with the Spell domain has Anyspell and Anyspell, Greater. (Obviously you need one of the options to cast your domain spells more than 1/day)

Sorcerer with Wand Modulation, or the Shadow Conjuration / Shadow Evocation line of spells.

Factotum 20.

Vaern
2020-03-19, 04:47 PM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Stick yet. Cantrip, sticks an object up to 5 pounds to another object. Sounds about on par with a couple strips of duct tape.
The DMG mentions under describing spell effects that a single spell can manifest in different ways, like a magic missile appearing as a dagger-like projectile being hurled at the target or a demonic head appearing from nowhere and spitting a ball of energy at the target. You have pretty much free reign to describe spells without obvious visual effects on their description how you want, as long as it isn't too horribly dramatic.
Casters may have visual motifs that they cast all of their spells with, like how magic used by dragon riders in Eragon tends to manifest in a color matching the caster's dragon. In your case, you may actually manifest all of your spells like stick, mending, make whole, the repair damage spell chain, etc. as strips of magically conjured duct tape sticking things together.

Falontani
2020-03-19, 08:40 PM
Spell Thematics feat from players guide to faerun

Yup. It exists!

JNAProductions
2020-03-19, 08:42 PM
-Snipped For Copyright Content-

Yup. It exists!

Hey, Falontani, you might want to double check the forum rules on posting content like that.

Falontani
2020-03-19, 08:56 PM
Hey, Falontani, you might want to double check the forum rules on posting content like that.

Fixed it, didn't realize the site I linked to until you mentioned it.

JNAProductions
2020-03-19, 08:57 PM
Fixed it, didn't realize the site I linked to until you mentioned it.

S'all good. People goof-I've certainly had my fair share of mistakes!

Palanan
2020-03-19, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Random Sanity
Crafting-wise, don't forget to check out the assorted Mythbusters episodes where they deal with duct tape myths. You'd be amazed what you can make out of that stuff.

Anyone who was with the SCA, back in the day, knows what fearsome weapons duct tape can produce.

:smalltongue: