PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Reskinning Spells?

Nikushimi
2020-03-17, 03:15 AM
Hey there! I had a question about reskinning certain spells to be a bit more thematic.

I am currently playing a Half-Drow Light Cleric of our campaings Moon Deity (Luna).

Currently, I've been reskinning the fire spells as silver or white in color when they are used, such as burning hands, Sacred Flame (technically Radiant, but yeah), and Scorching Ray. I did this to kind of give the feel of moon fire and the moonlight being silver/white. A way to reskin the spells to be a bit more personal and thematic to the deity.

We just hit 5th level, and so I gain the "Daylight" spell.

Would you say it's acceptable to reskin the Daylight Spell into a "Moonlight" spell. All same effects, but the orb that is generate resembles more of the moon than the sun.

Would you consider this to be a bit weird or too much or would you allow this? I know this is a bit of a strange question, and maybe a silly question. My DM may allow this, but I'm unsure and just wanted peoples thoughts on this. Thanks!

Zetakya
2020-03-17, 03:21 AM
I'd definitely allow it. I've played a Celestial Warlock before and reskinned a number of her abilities to match the characterisation.

Fiendish Vigor became Heavenly Health

Hellish Rebuke became Celestial Castigation and the flames were white and gold.

Nikushimi
2020-03-17, 03:28 AM
I'd definitely allow it. I've played a Celestial Warlock before and reskinned a number of her abilities to match the characterisation.

Fiendish Vigor became Heavenly Health

Hellish Rebuke became Celestial Castigation and the flames were white and gold.

I did a similar thing with my Celestial Warlock who happened to be a Levistus descended Tiefling. So they had the ice powers from the bloodline.

So their spells were often golden or icy blue.

Their resistance changed to cold instead of fire.

Their Eldritch Blast is a golden, icy blue mix. Kind of like a golden ray with ice blue shards in it.

I figured that the answer I'd receive is "Yeah, that's fine."

But idk. It may be because I'm tired, but the question came up when I was going over my character since we just hit level 5 tonight, and I was wondering if it is okay to change "Daylight" into "Moonlight" cause it just makes more sense.

Silly Name
2020-03-17, 04:00 AM
Technically Daylight just creates a bright sphere. I'd say it's perfectly fine to describe the looks of the sphere as whatever you want as long as it is spherical and luminous.

Galithar
2020-03-17, 06:20 AM
To put it in to perspective for how acceptable most people would find this, even AL encourages (or at least allows) you to modify any of the fluff on your spells and abilities so long as the mechanical implications remain the same. Daylight simply creates light (and is one of the most misleading spell names because people assume that light is sunlight... Surprise it's not!!). Describing the appearance of the light differently as long as you're not trying to modify the intensity as far as mechanics go (it can't blind some, you can't change the radius affected ETC) I would be confident saying the 95% of players and DM would be accepting of this, if not more.

MrStabby
2020-03-17, 06:30 AM
I would say this is the least controversial set of changes I have ever seen someone try and justify!

There is no mechanical advantage, it fits a theme, the spells still "make sense" as much as spells ever do anyway. Go for it.

I can't see anyone having any problems with it!

Nikushimi
2020-03-17, 11:43 AM
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Idk why I was so worried about it, but maybe cause of the spell name "Daylight" made me a bit wary in attempting to flavor it into "Moonlight".

Appreciate it people <3

Joe the Rat
2020-03-17, 12:00 PM
Absolutely reskin. A caster's job is only half done if they aren't in style. But make a note of what the actual spell is just in case there's an issue.

More examples:
Fey Warlock has Summer Court's Rebuke and Winter Court's Embrace for Hellish Rebuke and Armor of Agathys
A Bahamut-aligned Celestial Lock has Sacred Flame manifest as a breath weapon attack that only affects a single target.
A Dwarf Wizard using Shadow Hammer (Shadow Blade)
A Sorceress with a bisected orb conjures strange element-themed creatures, which then release the spell attacks. REGI IIIICCCEEE!

NecessaryWeevil
2020-03-17, 03:01 PM
I'm totally down with reskinning spells and abilities, though I sometimes wonder what the point is. Do other players or the DM really notice or care?
"Hey guys, when I cast Bigby's Hand it's actually a giant plush teddy bear!"
"Sure, that's cool. My turn. I attack the hobgoblin."

Zetakya
2020-03-17, 03:07 PM
That depends on whether your group is focused on the mechanical gameplay or the roleplaying aspect.

Nikushimi
2020-03-17, 03:31 PM
I'm totally down with reskinning spells and abilities, though I sometimes wonder what the point is. Do other players or the DM really notice or care?
"Hey guys, when I cast Bigby's Hand it's actually a giant plush teddy bear!"
"Sure, that's cool. My turn. I attack the hobgoblin."
As Zetakya said. It depends on if your group is focused more on the mechanical gameplay or if they enjoy the roleplaying, storytelling, and visualization of the game.

Our groups tend to enjoy storytelling and building a world. Mechanics are secondary for the most part. We like to tell visually appealing stories and roleplaying our characters. Creating unique stories for our characters.

Personally, I would find it really boring if a group played simply mechanically. I would feel that there would be a lot of min/maxers in those groups, and a lot of combat oriented gameplay.

"I cast burning hands. 15ft cone. Roll Dex. Okay, that's...*rolls*...Uhm, 12 points fire damage. 6 if they saved."
"Okay, my turn. I move 15ft with my 30ft movement to the Orc and attack. That's....AC 16? Hits? Okay, that's...*Rolls* Uhm, ah. Only 5 points of damage."

That just seems so...static and uncaring. Whereas actually describing your actions makes things more interesting and visually appealing to the mind. You're telling a story after all. So to me, personally, explaining details makes things more interesting.

As an example, I'll use the above dialogue, but change it and replace it with my Light Cleric. They have a holy symbol inscribed on their shield in silver, which they use as a focus for their clerical spells. Burning Hands is a Cleric spell for a Light Cleric.

"The Orc is within 15ft? No one is around? Okay, I raise my shield towards the orc and mutter an incantation prayer, Wreath in Moon Fire. My Shield glows with silver light as the symbol brightens and unleashes a cone of silver flame. They must make a dex save. DC 15. Failed? They take 14 points of fire damage."
"Seeing the Cleric shoot flames at the Orc I move up to attack it with my swords. Spinning my twin sabres I slice down once, aiming at their shoulder, and then bring the other around attempting to slice it across the stomach. Both hit! That's...7+8. 15 points of damage."

To which the DM will then describe the effects. "The Orc screams in pain as the silver flames engulf them. As your companion comes in, swinging down and slicing into their shoulder, cutting through flesh and bone. The next sword swinging dextrously across their stomach, cutting them open. Their guts spilling out as they fall to the ground, dead."

Makes it much more interesting and thrilling I feel to tell a story like that rather than mechanically.

That depends on whether your group is focused on the mechanical gameplay or the roleplaying aspect.

My thoughts exactly xD Was gonna say this exact thing, and I did, but in more detail. I tend to explain too much. Lol. But it seems we are of like minds in our responses, lol.

EggKookoo
2020-03-18, 08:20 PM
Would you consider this to be a bit weird or too much or would you allow this?

I not only allow it, I thoroughly encourage it. Each caster's magic missile should be unique-looking and personal. Magic should always be alive and special.

Samayu
2020-03-18, 09:32 PM
"I cast Grease, vomiting yellow bile all over the floor in front of the ogre."

Misterwhisper
2020-03-18, 09:37 PM
As long as you don’t change a mechanic change anything else you want.

Eldritch blasts that look like smoking summoned ravens streaking out of your hands.

Fireball that looks like you throw a Molotov.

Wand that looks like a pistol.

Scorching ray that looks like a candle with 5 magnifying glasses in front of it.

I played a warlock as a gunslinger, it took People until level 5 to even figure what class I was.

EggKookoo
2020-03-18, 09:40 PM
I played a warlock as a gunslinger, it took People until level 5 to even figure what class I was.

I love this! My brother's warlock is a cyborg.

Misterwhisper
2020-03-18, 09:47 PM
I love this! My brother's warlock is a cyborg.

I was a “gunslinger”

Wore a studded leather duster
Casting foci wand pistol
Casting foci rod rifle
Darkness was a thrown whiskey bottle of smoke
Devils sight came from my old cowboy hat
When I got repelling blast I “upgraded the caliber of my guns”

They only put it together when I threw out a cured sachet that blew up into a hunger of hadar.

SociopathFriend
2020-03-18, 10:17 PM
Hey there! I had a question about reskinning certain spells to be a bit more thematic.

I am currently playing a Half-Drow Light Cleric of our campaings Moon Deity (Luna).

Currently, I've been reskinning the fire spells as silver or white in color when they are used, such as burning hands, Sacred Flame (technically Radiant, but yeah), and Scorching Ray. I did this to kind of give the feel of moon fire and the moonlight being silver/white. A way to reskin the spells to be a bit more personal and thematic to the deity.

We just hit 5th level, and so I gain the "Daylight" spell.

Would you say it's acceptable to reskin the Daylight Spell into a "Moonlight" spell. All same effects, but the orb that is generate resembles more of the moon than the sun.

Would you consider this to be a bit weird or too much or would you allow this? I know this is a bit of a strange question, and maybe a silly question. My DM may allow this, but I'm unsure and just wanted peoples thoughts on this. Thanks!

Reskinning spells is fine so long as mechanically the stay the same.

For example if I learn Tidal Wave as a Necromancer nothing whatsoever is lost by me "reskinning" it as a giant tide of skeletal arms that hits people.
Still the same Dex save
Still moves the same
Still does the same damage
Still pushes prone

The only odd bit is the extinguishing flames part but that could easily be covered by the sheer mass of arms smothering the stuff.