PDA

View Full Version : Where to run an exploration style game in Forgotten Realms?

Yakmala
2020-03-17, 01:27 PM
I'm planning on running a "Western Marches" style exploration game for some friends and family, but, as they are all familiar and invested in the Forgotten Realms lore, I wanted to place it somewhere in Faerun.

What are some good spots in Faerun that have very little lore written about them where, as a DM, it would be easy to add my personal touch to the region without having to modify more established parts of the map?

Trask
2020-03-17, 01:39 PM
The High Forest and the North in general seems like a good place. Its huge, its lawless and barbaric, theres a lot of stuff in there, and its near the heart of the setting (the sword coast) which allows you to branch out into that area if you want to. I'd recommend reading this 1st Edition product to mine for ideas. Theres lots of great stuff in here, literally packed with adventure ideas and locations.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/17554/FR5-The-Savage-Frontier-1e

ZorroGames
2020-03-17, 02:12 PM
I like he idea of Chult either before or after ToA if you are not using AL.

ZorroGames
2020-03-17, 02:14 PM
The High Forest and the North in general seems like a good place. Its huge, its lawless and barbaric, theres a lot of stuff in there, and its near the heart of the setting (the sword coast) which allows you to branch out into that area if you want to. I'd recommend reading this 1st Edition product to mine for ideas. Theres lots of great stuff in here, literally packed with adventure ideas and locations.

I like this too. Lawless, large, barbaric all sound good to me.

Yakmala
2020-03-17, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the link. Will definitely look into this!

BurgerBeast
2020-03-18, 01:01 AM
Other options, depending on how familiar they are, are Kara-Tur, Maztica, and Al-Qadim. There were sourcebooks in 2e that can be found.

ZorroGames
2020-03-18, 07:24 AM
Other options, depending on how familiar they are, are Kara-Tur, Maztica, and Al-Qadim. There were sourcebooks in 2e that can be found.

Maztica lost out to Chult only because the latter is 5e already... and I am lazy.

But with the family being lovingly paranoid about my spending too much time out and about (turn 70 in April) I might just try converting it.

opaopajr
2020-03-18, 12:42 PM
How familiar and invested are we talking about here? FR is ENORMOUS.

It crosses 5 D&D editions, has had two major recent apocalypses between editions, an Ancient Age, 4 separate lines that can be tied in (Maztica, The Horde, Kara-Tur, & Al-Qadim), and more box sets than you can shake a stick at. And then there is the novels, Living Campaign, and what was supposed to be left alone GM-Sandnox space of Sembia.

Grab any major box set or region splat and do a deep dive. Most self-declared fans are VERY novels & video game based. You should easily be able to find a cool area they do not know by rote memorization.

If you can define what they are familiar with, and what setting worlds you like, we here can help narrow you localization! :smallsmile: