PDA

View Full Version : Alignment situation

Techonce
2007-10-23, 09:59 AM
Here is a situation and lets see what people think about the alignment reactions.

A church has a small amount of money they keep on public display. It is known that anyone can take the money as long as they ask and that they use it to help the community.

A player comes to the temple to take the money to use but none of the priests are there.

A lawful good character would probably wait until a priest came by before taking the money since that is what they require. If it was an emergency, he might not wait, but would make restitution or explain himself later. He would probably make sure that all of the money taken would be used for its intended purpose and return unused funds.

A chaotic good character would probably not wait, but would make sure the money was used for the proper purposes. Excess monenies would probably be kept by the person with the intent to use them later for other public purposes.

A lawful evil person would probably wait for a priest. THey would spend the money somewhat on its intended use, but would do so in ways to make a profit for himself. Excess monies woudl get used up by "convienence fees" or the like.

A chaotic evil person would take the money and spend it how they please. If the priest showed up, he might even rough up the priest for more money if eh could get away with it.

I did not include the neutrals since they just muddy the water. I also used probably alot, since exact details are not provided.

Any thoughts?

Blanks
2007-10-23, 12:24 PM
A lawful evil person would probably wait for a priest. THey would spend the money somewhat on its intended use, but would do so in ways to make a profit for himself. Excess monies woudl get used up by "convienence fees" or the like.

A chaotic evil person would take the money and spend it how they please. If the priest showed up, he might even rough up the priest for more money if eh could get away with it.
People often include power in the alignment equation without seeing that they do this.

This is another interpretation (i dont disagree with you but would like to clarify)
Low power LE:
Exactly as you wrote it

Low power CE:
"A chaotic evil person would take the money and spend it how they please. If the priest showed up," he would say he was taking it for its intended purpose (ie help the community) and then use it himself.

High power LE:
"Yeah, sadly the new tax is exactly the amount in your display..."

High power CE:
Just like the low power - he gets all the gold so he is happy, he doesn't care how. No need to rough up the priest unless he have to.
My point is, CEs dont have to be fond of violence, they only use it to reach their goals.

That said, some CEs ARE fond of violence :smalltongue:
"This is my gold now, what are you gonna do?"

Mewtarthio
2007-10-23, 01:08 PM
Lawful guys would probably use the money for its intended purpose. To do otherwise would make the church distrustful and simply complicate any further actions taken to enhance the community. They would also ensure that the priests know the money is being taken, lest they establish a precedent that allows people to more easily steal from the church.

Chaotic guys would likely take the money to further whatever ends they personally believe need furthering. The money is available, and they'd believe that they'd know best how to use it.

Evil guys would further themselves with the money somehow.

Good guys would use the money to help others.

So:

LG - Take the money via appropriate procedures and use it to improve the quality of life overall in the city. For instance, you could use the money to fund soup kitchens, donate it to schools and hospitals, or subsidize child care.

CG - Take the money and use it to help out others on your own. For instance, you could redistribute the money as alms, post bail for an innocent man, or buy supplies for an underground resistance movement.

LE - Take the money via appropriate procedures and improve the city in a way that advances your own position. For instance, you could subsidize your brother-in-law's guild, equip paramilitaries under your command, or beautify the local park with a giant statue of yourself.

CE- Take the money and use it for selfish purposes. For instance, you could bribe a judge, buy a nice painting to hang in your room, or purchase supplies for an evil cult.

Techonce
2007-10-23, 01:29 PM
My point is, CEs dont have to be fond of violence, they only use it to reach their goals.

That said, some CEs ARE fond of violence :smalltongue:
"This is my gold now, what are you gonna do?"

Yeah. I was stereotyping a bit, but then again that's what Alignments are...

Riffington
2007-10-23, 02:18 PM
I don't think an LG character would take the money without asking priests first - unless it was life/death.

I don't think a CG would either, unless the cause was important and urgent - and then, they'd give back what's left, and ask forgiveness anyway. Chaotic does not mean "no respect for property rights". Especially since the money is so available - that just increases the amount of respect a CG character has for the church.

Jannex
2007-10-23, 02:29 PM
I'd imagine that many CG characters would at least leave a note--something to the effect of, "Sorry, you weren't here and I had to go buy some Oils of Bless Weapon because of the demons. Back soon (I hope)!" Or maybe that's NG; I'm not sure.

Mewtarthio
2007-10-23, 02:39 PM
I don't think a CG would either, unless the cause was important and urgent - and then, they'd give back what's left, and ask forgiveness anyway. Chaotic does not mean "no respect for property rights". Especially since the money is so available - that just increases the amount of respect a CG character has for the church.

Bear in mind, there is a difference between ethical neutrality and chaos. A chaotic individual believes that governmental institutions are bad. They stifle growth, oppress those who shouldn't be oppressed, protect those who shouldn't be protected, and tie up all forms of change and improvement with ridiculous amounts of red tape. If we're talking about a state church, a Chaotic person would genuinely believe that that the priests wouldn't put the money to good use. If we're talking about a non-state church, things are fuzzier, but in general the Chaotic person doesn't believe that things get better when people control each other.

Riffington
2007-10-23, 02:58 PM
This isn't a stifling government church.
This is the kind of awesome church that puts out emergency funds where people in desperate need can get it. The kind that a CG character would give real respect to. Now if the church were different, the situation would be different.

I mean, if the money were in the Sacramental Rose Water Fund, or the Center for the Advancement of Jackdaw Studies, then a CG character would have no problem taking it to use where it's really needed.

Doresain
2007-11-07, 02:18 AM
a NE guy would take it simply to take it and cause a lot of trouble for said church, simply to amuse himself

NE ftw!!!