PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Tomb of Annihilation's first level in the eponymoust tomb: map 5.1 and light pools?

Segev
2020-03-17, 05:20 PM
This probably isn't a huge spoiler even for players in a game of this module, but I still recommend you stay out of this thread just in case, unless you aren't playing it and don't plan to.

In the opening section for the first floor of the Tomb, it describes some features that litter the floor in general. In particular, there is a bit about small cracks in the ceiling that provide pools of illumination, which it then refers us to map 5.1 to see.

Map 5.1 is, indeed, of that floor, but I don't see any obvious "pools of illumination." I could maybe pretend that the shading that marks the edges of the rooms is beshadowed and that the whole of the middle areas are thus illuminated, but I don't think that's the intent. Is there something I'm missing? Is there any auxilliary material I can reference? Or should I just make that be flavor text and say the entirety of the first floor is "dimly lit" rather than natively dark?

OldTrees1
2020-03-17, 05:50 PM
On map 5.1 some of the floor is more lit than other parts. It might be easiest to tell in room 10 on the map. Yellow-gray ground is illuminated vs the gray ground which is not illuminated. They also used the same illumination on the level name and on half of the compass rose.

The illumination is window dressing. You can change the locations without too much concern. For our party the cracks only came up when we made sure we would not suffocate and when we tried to have a bat climb out the cracks in the roof.

Segev
2020-03-17, 05:57 PM
On map 5.1 some of the floor is more lit than other parts. It might be easiest to tell in room 10 on the map. Yellow-gray ground is illuminated vs the gray ground which is not illuminated. They also used the same illumination on the level name and on half of the compass rose.

The illumination is window dressing. You can change the locations without too much concern. For our party the cracks only came up when we made sure we would not suffocate and when we tried to have a bat climb out the cracks in the roof.

Yeah, I imagine the cracks will mostly matter when/if the party decides they want to try to leave the tomb. I don't know if the wizard's owl will find itself up to the task of getting all 9 puzzle cubes again, but at least they have one party member that can get out. In more seriousness, I expect the fact they can't leave will be a cold shock to them, as this will likely make them really wish they could spend more than one day and get a long rest between levels or so. I've done a poor job of giving them challenges that keep them from taking long rests more or less when they want. (The time pressure isn't bothering them as they don't know anybody personally who they want to save. And they're already on day 160 since the death curse started.)