Deh-mogorgon
Or
Dee-mogorgon

micahaphone
2020-03-18, 02:04 AM
closer to the first - "dem-ogorgon"

Galithar
2020-03-18, 02:22 AM
I thought it was a little more separated even. Dem-O-Gor-Gon 4 syllables, yes?

Zhorn
2020-03-18, 04:17 AM
In Australia, we tend to skip over or clip short vowels and syllables every now and then (example locals say Melb'en, tourists say Mel-bore-nn).

So I'd read Demogorgon as;
Dem " " gor-gon
the " " is shorter than a space between words, a small almost non-existent pause between the m and g so you can audibly tell those letters are not touching, but otherwise doesn't carry a sound of its own.

edit: Plus, Australia's as hot as the hells, and everything will try to kill you, so it makes sense that Demogorgon would hail from here and have an Australian pronounced name :smallwink:

edit edit: edit ninja'd

Galithar
2020-03-18, 04:20 AM
In Australia, we tend to skip over or clip short vowels and syllables every now and then (example locals say Melb'en, tourists say Mel-bore-nn).

So I'd read Demogorgon as;
Dem " " gor-gon
the " " is shorter than a space between words, a small almost non-existent pause between the m and g so you can audibly tell those letters are not touching, but otherwise doesn't carry a sound of its own.

Yeah, but you also have like 500 different animal species trying to kill you each day... If you take the time to say the whole word you might get dead!

DeadMech
2020-03-18, 04:53 AM
Deh mo gor gan is how I pronounce it. Mostly because that's how I hear demo pronounced. Though the english I was taught would say that Dee mo would be correct because of the singular consonant between the vowels. Though all english rules are broken at some point.

Galithar
2020-03-18, 04:55 AM
. Though all english rules are broken almost constantly.

Fixed it for ya! Lol

Dr. Cliché
2020-03-18, 06:31 AM
I thought it was a little more separated even. Dem-O-Gor-Gon 4 syllables, yes?

This is how I pronounce it as well.

Millstone85
2020-03-18, 08:48 AM
It is actually THE Dehmogorgon.

Dr. Cliché
2020-03-18, 08:49 AM
It is actually THE Dehmogorgon.

:smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious:

loki_ragnarock
2020-03-18, 09:48 AM
Just wait till you get the final production model gorgon.

Tanarii
2020-03-18, 10:35 AM
The correct answer, at least for D&D, is dee-mo gorgon. As in demon.

Grey Watcher
2020-03-18, 11:04 AM

Huh. I always pronounced the "demo" part like the shortened form of "demonstration." As in "I just downloaded the demo version of that game, and it was awesome!"

The "gorgon" half I always pronounced somewhere between "gore-gone" and "gore-gun," the latter of which sounds very, very disturbing.

Tanarii
2020-03-18, 11:12 AM
Huh. I always pronounced the "demo" part like the shortened form of "demonstration." As in "I just downloaded the demo version of that game, and it was awesome!"I googled it and the sources I could find that weren't folk lore or that Netflix show were all dee-mo.

Tawmis
2020-03-18, 11:46 AM
I always pronounced it: Demi-Gorgon (Demi-gore-gawn)

RedMage125
2020-03-18, 03:25 PM

Halfway through this thread, I opened another tab where I have bookmarked a D&D pronunciation guide. Some is taken from an old DRAGON article written by Gygax himself.

Here (https://www.enworld.org/threads/d-d-pronunciation-guide.661505/#.WTttRmjytPY) is the link.

I've been pronouncing "Demogorgon" wrong the whole time.

Pex
2020-03-18, 03:32 PM
When you face it cast Protection spell not Fireball.

KorvinStarmast
2020-03-18, 03:35 PM
closer to the first - "dem-ogorgon" That's how we pronounced it when Eldritch Wizardry came out. I suppose one would need to ask Kask or Gygax their pronunciation.
(FWIW: the etymololgy is quite interesting (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogorgon))
As for usage: not original to D&D

Demogorgon was taken up by Christian writers as a demon of Hell:

Orcus and Ades, and the dreaded name
Of Demogorgon

— John Milton, Paradise Lost II. 966.
Note, however, Milton does not refer to the inhabitants of Hell, but of an unformed region where Chaos rules with Night. In Milton's epic poem Satan passes through this region while traveling from Hell to Earth.

PS: there is no "The" in Demogorgon. Orcus and Demogorgon: each is a proper name for a unique being. (Like Thor, Mystra, etc)

Demon Princes: There are several Princes, but only two of the greatest of these exceptional demon lords are described here:
ORCUS: Orcus is a grossly fat demon lord, some 15' tall.
(snip picture or Orcus)
DEMOGORGON: It is contended by some that this demon lord is supreme, and in any event he
is awesome in his power. This gigantic demon is 18' tall and reptilian.

Xihirli
2020-03-18, 04:15 PM
Orcus is two beings, too?

Segev
2020-03-18, 05:01 PM
The way the kids pronounce it in Stranger Things's first season is how I've always pronounced it.

He's a demo of a gorgon. ...except of course he isn't; gorgons are entirely different!

JackPhoenix
2020-03-18, 05:01 PM
Demogorgon. It helps that my native language says things exactly as they are written (most of the time).