PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Deciding how to use a Homebrewed magic item we got as loot

mehs
2020-03-18, 02:28 AM
So, a party member rolled a nat 100 when rolling for loot, and got a sweet homebrewed magic item. As they were a Necromancer, I traded them a coffin I had found for it (It was part of an uber trap that I nat 20'ed a disable device check on. The coffin creates 1 ghoul per day. In the same room as the uber trap, I found a treasure chest and ended up getting a crystal that, when attached to an object, can cause it to start following you/come to where you are once you speak the command work. Want to stress the obscene luck of rolling for loot and getting an item that solves the exact problem, that had existed for a negative amount of time, of transporting a heavy, but valuable, object.)

So what the wand actually does, is you cast a 1st level wizard spell into it, then it can be used to cast that spell at will, using the caster's caster level and spell DC's.

Somewhat thinking about either buffing the wizard with a fox's cunning and having them cast color spray into it, or creating a scroll of 9th CL Magic missile and casting that into it. Both are hilariously overpowered at our current level of 2, but we have the god luck. What do you guyses think we should do with it?

Jack_Simth
2020-03-18, 07:30 AM
So, a party member rolled a nat 100 when rolling for loot, and got a sweet homebrewed magic item. As they were a Necromancer, I traded them a coffin I had found for it (It was part of an uber trap that I nat 20'ed a disable device check on. The coffin creates 1 ghoul per day. In the same room as the uber trap, I found a treasure chest and ended up getting a crystal that, when attached to an object, can cause it to start following you/come to where you are once you speak the command work. Want to stress the obscene luck of rolling for loot and getting an item that solves the exact problem, that had existed for a negative amount of time, of transporting a heavy, but valuable, object.)

So what the wand actually does, is you cast a 1st level wizard spell into it, then it can be used to cast that spell at will, using the caster's caster level and spell DC's.

Somewhat thinking about either buffing the wizard with a fox's cunning and having them cast color spray into it, or creating a scroll of 9th CL Magic missile and casting that into it. Both are hilariously overpowered at our current level of 2, but we have the god luck. What do you guyses think we should do with it?

Couple of questions:
1) Can the spell be changed later?
2) How long (level-wise) do you expect the campaign to last?

I ask both questions for essentially the same reason:
At 2nd, at-will CL 9 Magic Missile is wonderful. At 10th, it's seldom going to be worth the standard action to use it. By 15th, you'll probably forget you have it.
If you can change out the spell easily, it's more useful (you drop a utility spell into it when the offensive power wears out - or even Cure Light Wounds: look up the Arcane Disciple feat). If not, you may regret putting an offensive spell in it later.

Kurald Galain
2020-03-18, 08:02 AM
I would go with Mount. Conjuring unlimited horses has many practical applications both inside and outside combat.

Or, if your GM allows immediate-action wands (which isn't actually RAW but a common ruling) then a spell like Windy Escape or Deivon's Parry is fun to have.

mehs
2020-03-18, 06:13 PM
The spell can be changed at will, whenever you can get a wizard/sorcerer to cast a spell into it. The campaign is expected to last indefinitely, potentially even into epic.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-03-18, 06:28 PM
How's your group healing looking? Do you have a significant number of healing items and/or minions to heal your party?

If not, the highest healing spell you can reasonably Maximize and Empower would be nice, especially one with a decent range and action cost. A spell that can be cast on others that heals a decent percentage when you damage something would be nice, although it would work best if it could be used on spells as well as weapons.

Summon monster for a lillend or another creature with healing (and even better, divine spellcasting) would be nice, and it could be used to attack, as a mobile door, as a doorstop, as a long-range communication device if it's got telepathy or something, and so on.

Got any good and versatile shapeshifting effects?

I do 3e, not Pathfinder, so I'm not well-versed in PF-only spells. I know polymorph has been nerfed all to hell, though.

[edit] Gah. 1st level only. Any level-lowering abilities out there in PF-land?

mehs
2020-03-18, 06:36 PM
How's your group healing looking? Do you have a significant number of healing items and/or minions to heal your party?

If not, the highest healing spell you can reasonably Maximize and Empower would be nice, especially one with a decent range and action cost. A spell that can be cast on others that heals a decent percentage when you damage something would be nice, although it would work best if it could be used on spells as well as weapons.

Summon monster for a lillend or another creature with healing (and even better, divine spellcasting) would be nice, and it could be used to attack, as a mobile door, as a doorstop, as a long-range communication device if it's got telepathy or something, and so on.

Got any good and versatile shapeshifting effects?

I do 3e, not Pathfinder, so I'm not well-versed in PF-only spells. I know polymorph has been nerfed all to hell, though.

Reminder of the limits, the wand only functions with 1st level Wizard/Sorcerer spells. We are decently set on healing, as we have an item that essentially can be used to give fast healing 1. GM also says that if we spam cast mount to bulldoze our way with an army of horses, then the dungeon we are in that is the focus of the campaign would warp its geography (standard setting thing) to put us near other groups also using armies to bulldoze their way through.

Kurald Galain
2020-03-18, 07:07 PM
How about Vanish? Not so useful in combat, but being permanently invisible outside of combat has a wide number of uses.

I do 3e, not Pathfinder, so I'm not well-versed in PF-only spells. I know polymorph
If you're not well-versed in PF spells, perhaps you shouldn't be commenting on its polymorph :smallbiggrin: The spell is pretty useful and balanced in PF (and really not balanced in 3E, so that change was a clear improvement).

Jack_Simth
2020-03-19, 07:02 AM
The spell can be changed at will, whenever you can get a wizard/sorcerer to cast a spell into it. The campaign is expected to last indefinitely, potentially even into epic.

Then Magic Missile via a 9th level caster is a fine choice for now. It'll one-shot most level-appropriate goons (but not bosses) for the next few levels.

Beyond that, most things will be party-specific for how useful they are. Try going through the list on d20pfsrd.com (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/spell-lists-and-domains/spell-lists-sorcerer-and-wizard/#TOC-1st-Level-Sorcerer-Wizard-Spells), and seeing what jumps out at you for being useful if you can run it every round.

How about Vanish? Not so useful in combat, but being permanently invisible outside of combat has a wide number of uses.
The verbal component every 30 seconds puts a considerable damper on it's utility.

Telonius
2020-03-19, 09:45 AM
I am pleasantly shocked that no one has suggested True Strike yet. (Seriously, don't do that).

I'd probably go with Grease. It's useful at almost any level.

SaintNick
2020-03-20, 02:27 PM
I'd suggest the spell Lucky Number (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/l/lucky-number/) for the free rerolls if it's available.