PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Can you optimize the grease spell?

Citadel97501
2020-03-18, 11:16 PM
Hello all, I was just wondering if it is possible to optimize the grease spell for a melee sorcerer? My group has asked me to stop using Darkness so often, so I thought perhaps this spell could be used to take up the slack and likely make it cheaper on my spell slots/sorcery points.

I was thinking that a pulling spell, such as Lightning Lure or Thorn Whip can be used to yank foes into the grease trap followed by attacking with a Shadow Blade using quickened or twinned Booming Blades seems to be the go to move for this type of attack? If they fail the save they go prone and then get hit with advantage which in my case would apply Elven Accuracy.

CheddarChampion
2020-03-19, 12:58 AM
It is possible to a small extent.
The cantrips you mentioned pair well.
You could use quicken spell to cast grease and attack on the same turn.
Team up with a grappler or someone with sentinel to improve the effect.

Makorel
2020-03-19, 01:51 AM
Grease is a great spell because it can knock prone anything regardless of size limit. Make sure you pick up Earthbind to deal with flyers though. First you bring them to the ground...and then you bring them to the ground!

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-03-19, 08:57 PM
Hello all, I was just wondering if it is possible to optimize the grease spell for a melee sorcerer? My group has asked me to stop using Darkness so often, so I thought perhaps this spell could be used to take up the slack and likely make it cheaper on my spell slots/sorcery points.

I was thinking that a pulling spell, such as Lightning Lure or Thorn Whip can be used to yank foes into the grease trap followed by attacking with a Shadow Blade using quickened or twinned Booming Blades seems to be the go to move for this type of attack? If they fail the save they go prone and then get hit with advantage which in my case would apply Elven Accuracy.

The issue is, I don't think Grease is on the sorcerer spell list. I just checked a couple sites and I don't see it on there.

Are you a MC character? Or can the sorcerer gain grease from a subclass that I'm not aware of? Or did your DM just give you grease in exchange for darkness?

So, unless you're MC you can only cast grease 1/long rest with Magic Initiate and I don't think it's worth optimizing.

You could go Web, though that's the same slot as darkness.

Man_Over_Game
2020-03-19, 09:13 PM
Thunderwave, or Gust of Wind. Just push them back.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-03-19, 09:19 PM
Thunderwave, or Gust of Wind. Just push them back.

Careful, Heighten, or Subtle Gust of Wind is hilariously fun to use.

Side note, you get to pick which way the line blasts from you each turn as a bonus action. You can be running away and have it blast behind you to keep pushing enemies away.

Quietus
2020-03-19, 09:37 PM
The issue is, I don't think Grease is on the sorcerer spell list. I just checked a couple sites and I don't see it on there.

You are correct - grease is not a valid spell for a sorcerer. I couldn't tell you why, but wizards felt that it was iconic enough to be specific to, well, wizards.

stoutstien
2020-03-19, 09:41 PM
You are correct - grease is not a valid spell for a sorcerer. I couldn't tell you why, but wizards felt that it was iconic enough to be specific to, well, wizards.

Artificer gets it and can put it in their SSI. Having a familiar spam grease is pretty handy.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-03-19, 10:04 PM

I hate that wizards get their own spells but Sorcerers don't have their own. You would think they would have at least brought back the 3e sorcerer text letting them learn spells from any spell list as a base class feature.

"These new spells can be common spells chosen from the sorcerer/wizard spell list, or they can be unusual spells that the sorcerer has gained some understanding of by study. The sorcerer can’t use this method of spell acquisition to learn spells at a faster rate, however."

It bugs me that wizards get both more spells known AND more class specific spells.

Anyways...

For a melee sorcerer, I would grab Earth Tremor.

1st level
Bludgeoning Damage
1d6 damage
Prone Condition
Difficult Terrain

Careful Earth Tremor + Quicken Empowered Shocking Grasp (advantage against prone target) was something I used when the Elemental Evil stuff first came out.

Citadel97501
2020-03-19, 11:45 PM
Are you a MC character? Or can the sorcerer gain grease from a subclass that I'm not aware of? Or did your DM just give you grease in exchange for darkness?

The Class Feature Variants from the Unearthed Arcana added a few spells to Sorcerer (page 9). Grease is one of them, but the others that got my attention were Flaming Sphere, Flame Blade, and Vampiric Touch.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-03-19, 11:47 PM
The Class Feature Variants from the Unearthed Arcana added a few spells to Sorcerer (page 9). Grease is one of them, but the others that got my attention were Flaming Sphere, Flame Blade, and Vampiric Touch.

Ah, houserules then.

I'm a big fan of houserules.