PDA

View Full Version : Theorycrafting - 3 level Armorer Artificer on an Arcane Trickster or other Rogue

nickl_2000
2020-03-19, 10:46 AM
This seems like an absolutely broken dip to me.

-You get Full Plate and a Shield with no Strength requirement and no disadvantage on stealth
-Built in sneak attack that does lightning damage and is a simple weapon
-Can attack with Int or Dex depending on your desire
-More spells known, including shield
-2 infusions for +1 to attack and damage and +1 more for damage
-Ritual casting

Am I wrong? Where is the bad in this?

king_steve
2020-03-19, 03:01 PM
If you took Artificer Armorer to 5 you'd get an extra attack and if you took it to 6 you can make a homunculus, which would give you another way to gain advantage.

I think the only downside to this type of build is that its MAD (Dex then Con then Int, is probably the order I would focus on things). If you find a Headband of Intellect, then it also would really help you out.

I think this would pair well with the UA Soulknife Rogue subclass as well.

Necromas
2020-03-19, 03:26 PM
The bad is slowing down your rogue progression quite a bit. Even just having lower sneak attack damage is kind of a big deal. Slowing down the arcane trickster spells hurts too. If you want to have high Int to land spells like hypnotic pattern and hold person, you're going to get those spells 3 levels later than normal.

The benefits might not be as impressive as they seem at first glance either. If planning a ranged build the defensive perks aren't super important. You can't really be Int SAD since dex is needed for skills. And in many campaigns the infusions will become useless once your party gets the ability to accumulate +1 magic items.

nickl_2000
2020-03-19, 07:03 PM
If you took Artificer Armorer to 5 you'd get an extra attack and if you took it to 6 you can make a homunculus, which would give you another way to gain advantage.

I think the only downside to this type of build is that its MAD (Dex then Con then Int, is probably the order I would focus on things). If you find a Headband of Intellect, then it also would really help you out.

I think this would pair well with the UA Soulknife Rogue subclass as well.

I don't see MADness as an issue if you are multiclassing in with a Arcane Trickster. ATs already need intelligence for their build to being with, so you are not making it any worse with some artificer in there.

Stangler
2020-09-13, 05:14 PM
The bottom line is if you like the concept you can be confident that it is a solid combination in terms of power. It is not some crazy overpowered combo but it is solid and hopefully fun for you. I think armorer 5 is hard to pass up because of extra attack and I assume you would go hand Xbow. level 6 also gives a lot of fun stuff but so do rogue levels.

I have been playing an AT/artificer and the artificer levels help spice up the character and the gameplay a bit. I like having a heal for example. I think artificer really shines for RPing and combined with rogue it is really fun.

Dork_Forge
2020-09-14, 06:09 PM
It's a very good combo, the nature of Lightning Launcher means you only lose out on a single die of Sneak Attack progression. I'd probably start out in Artificer though to get Int based attacks as soon as possible (and set up your casting right off the bat), though I'm more inclined to make this a Rogue dip on an Artificer and not vice versa, the Artificer progression is just too good.

OldTrees1
2020-09-15, 12:52 AM
This seems like an absolutely broken dip to me.

You delayed Reliable Talent by 3 levels.
You missed out on Rogue class features.
On Arcane Trickster your spells a further behind.
You delayed an ASI / Feat.
Your damage is decreased.

Broken dip? Not at all. It has pros and cons. I would not have taken the dip for my Rogue. You are considering taking it for your Rogue. That seems to indicate a more balanced situation.