PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Music suggestions for Campaign

ZeroSpace9000
2020-03-19, 11:29 AM
I'm doing some prep-work to run a few friends through the Way of the Wicked adventure path, and I would like some suggestions for music to have playing in the background.

Of note, I'll be running this on roll20, so anyone familiar with that can suggest something from their built-in jukebox. Thanks in advance to everyone.

gkathellar
2020-03-19, 03:37 PM
What kind of tone and atmosphere are you looking for? Often the default recommendation for epic fantasy music is "anything from Two Steps From Hell," but that may not fit what you're going for.

2D8HP
2020-03-19, 05:21 PM
I suggest the music composed by Bernard Herrmann for films such as

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I0sb159J4O0

Sam113097
2020-03-19, 07:43 PM
Well, I'm a big fan of the Assassin's Creed soundtracks, which cover a variety of time periods and settings.

Additionally, the King Arthur: Legend of the Sword soundtrack is quite good if you like a more modern take on fantasy music (I recommend anything else by the composer, Daniel Pemberton, as well).

Torgairon
2020-03-19, 11:35 PM
I would recommend looking up kirill pokrovsky and the soundtracks he did for the divinity series of RPGs. they can all be downloaded off his website for free!

other options include the neverwinter nights 1 & 2 soundtracks, baldur's gate and other old-school isometric RPGs. if you want softer, more ambient music then there's lots of good stuff on youtube to choose from.

Ason
2020-03-20, 09:58 AM
I agree with the others that video game and movie soundtracks are good ideas.

One piece of advice, however, is that it helps for you to grab soundtracks from games/movies your players haven't experienced. So if they're all newer gamers, older ones like the Morrowind soundtrack (minus the main theme) is fairly safe, as are the soundtracks to isometric rpgs like Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Planescape: Torment, etc. If they're more familiar with those things, you might consider game soundtracks that are instead more obscure, like Pathologic or Tyranny. You can also find great soundtrack collections that have already been created on YouTube, Spotify, etc, which can point you in other good directions even if you opt not to use them.

Finally, I don't know much about Roll20's jukebox, so I can't help you there. But I also know that Discord has music bots you can use if your group is already using that to host its voice chat. One of my groups is using that right now, and while it took our DM some time to learn the system, it's now become a great addition to our game.

MarkVIIIMarc
2020-03-20, 12:47 PM
Generally I'm concerned about music drowning out the game. Cell music generally annoys me but I've had good experiences with a DM who had his tv streaming something or other in the next room for this. What's the difference? I dunno.

As a side thought for 2020, if you can use a DVD player or similar to play it you'll keep some strain off the interwebs by not streaming.