PDA

View Full Version : What would you build with these stats (generation method: roll, in order)?

Boci
2020-03-19, 12:29 PM
So I'm joining the game where we have to generate stats by rolling 4d6 drop the lowest, six times, in order. No swapping or tweaking, though you could reroll the whole set if the combined modifiers were too low, and we got to do it twice and pick whichever one we wanted. I know I know, not the most populat state generation method, but hey I'm willing to give it a try. So I got the following two sets:

Strength: 15
Dexterity: 11
Constitution: 7
Intelligence: 15
Wisdom: 10
Charisma: 13

Strength: 7
Constitution: 17
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 8
Charisma: 15

I choose to make a half-elf hexblade warlock with the second, because I've been wanting to play one of those for a while now, but I'm wondering if there's any other choices that would work well, or just work, barely, with either of those stats?

Edit: Starting level is 1. I believe multiclassing is allowed.

47Ace
2020-03-19, 12:39 PM
Necromancer wizard and moon druid are the standard don't need stats builds. A githyanki necromancer with the first array would have 17 str, 16 int, medium armor prof (pic up heavaly armored at 4 for plate and 18 str), great sword prof to go with the strength, and could hide behind his minions to protect his con. Or Abjuration gives you temp HP to help with the low con if you don't like necromancy.

Moon druids as a brown bear just do't care what their base stats are.

CheddarChampion
2020-03-19, 01:05 PM
Is multiclassing allowed?
You could do a Fighter/Wizard or a Paladin/Wizard with the first set. Heavy armor + shield = good AC, good AC + keeping away from the melee combatants = less need for HP.
I'd do V. Human Paladin 2/War Wizard X. 15/11/8/16/10/14 with Resilient (Constitution). Try to find an Amulet of Health to set that Con to 19.
Paladin 2 is mostly to get healing spells and the defensive fighting style.

But a human Fighter 1/Wizard X with 16/12/8/16/11/14 would be good too.

KorvinStarmast
2020-03-19, 01:15 PM
So I got the following two sets:

[QUOTE]Strength: 15

Human Eldritch Knight.
First ASI to CON, obviously. Add 1 to all stats gives you :
S 16 D 12 C 8 16 11 14
Or
VHuman Eldritch Knight.
Tough Feat.
S 16 Dex 11 Con 8 In 16 Wis 10 Cha 13.

vhuman Sorcerer; pick an origin.
Str 7
Dex 12
Con 17
Int 10
Wisdom 8 (Resilient Wisdom Feat)
Charisma 16

Boci
2020-03-19, 01:25 PM
Necromancer wizard and moon druid are the standard don't need stats builds. A githyanki necromancer with the first array would have 17 str, 16 int, medium armor prof (pic up heavaly armored at 4 for plate and 18 str), great sword prof to go with the strength, and could hide behind his minions to protect his con. Or Abjuration gives you temp HP to help with the low con if you don't like necromancy.

Moon druids as a brown bear just do't care what their base stats are.

Those might work, but will they survive level one? Wizards specialization and wilshape are all from 2 on wards right? Granted if you die you could always reroll and maybe get luckier, so might not be the worst thing. Wait, I've suddenly realized I need to check if new characters join at current party level, current level - 1, or level 1.

Is multiclassing allowed?
You could do a Fighter/Wizard or a Paladin/Wizard with the first set.

I think multiclassing is allowed. I probably would have gone, or at least tried, bladesinger wizard for the first if I could have swapped strngth and dex.

Human Eldritch Knight.
First ASI to CON, obviously. Add 1 to all stats gives you :
S 16 D 12 C 8 16 11 14
Or
VHuman Eldritch Knight.
Tough Feat.
S 16 Dex 11 Con 8 In 16 Wis 10 Cha 13.

Could work , though fighter with 8 con would be a little challenging, but they should survive. I guess a lot will depend on the other party members, who I haven't met yet.

vhuman Sorcerer; pick an origin.
Str 7
Dex 12
Con 17
Int 10
Wisdom 8 (Resilient Wisdom Feat)
Charisma 16

Oh yeah, sorceror would be a good choice. And that gives proficiency with saves.

47Ace
2020-03-19, 02:12 PM
V.Human with a +1 to con and tough could help with HP and then the other + 1 goes to int or str for the first one.
On a more boring note a half elf hexblade with the second set of stats would actually be relatively strong. Or V.Human with resilient wis as mentioned. Medium armor from hexblade helps AC. Or any charisma caster and the dwarf that gives medium armor.

MaxWilson
2020-03-19, 04:36 PM
So I'm joining the game where we have to generate stats by rolling 4d6 drop the lowest, six times, in order. No swapping or tweaking, though you could reroll the whole set if the combined modifiers were too low, and we got to do it twice and pick whichever one we wanted. I know I know, not the most populat state generation method, but hey I'm willing to give it a try. So I got the following two sets:

Strength: 15

I choose to make a half-elf hexblade warlock with the second, because I've been wanting to play one of those for a while now, but I'm wondering if there's any other choices that would work well, or just work, barely, with either of those stats?

Edit: Starting level is 1. I believe multiclassing is allowed.

Hmmm. First one is big and fat (strong but not fit), likable, not particularly in touch with the concrete physical world but very good at building complex mental models. In real life he'd be some kind of professor. In the game, well, from a powergaming perspective it would make plenty of sense to make him a Lucky Fighter 1/Necromancer X with Con 8 and Int 16 (plus heavy armor). Lucky plus heavy armor will keep him alive at low levels, maybe augment with Tough later on if it feels necessary.

From a roleplaying perspective though I kind of want to make this guy a portly Str 16 Con 8 Defensive Duelist Samurai for some reason (Defense style, Athletics proficiency as well as Insight, Persuasion, and Perception), ex-adviser to the king who's fallen on political hard times and been kicked out of the inner circle at court. (High Charisma and Intelligence fit well with this story and might be motivating my subconscious reasoning.)

I could go either way on this guy, would mostly depend upon who else is playing--the Samurai is better if everyone is fairly casual or new to the game and I want to just play a supporting character, like Marcus Brodie (from Indiana Jones) with a sword. Always useful but definitely won't be the all-star.

Second one could be almost anything, but I'd like to make that... a goblin Bardlock (Hex 2, Lore X). Start off as a Dex 13, Con 18, Cha 15 Hexblade, then switch immediately to Lore Bard 1-3, then Hex 2 for a big damage bump (Agonizing and Repelling), then Lore 4 (Dex 14, Cha 16) and on up from there. Expertise in Stealth, Perception, Deception, and Sleight of Hand sounds fun.

Christew
2020-03-19, 09:14 PM
First array might have some fun RP implications (see above), but that low CON is going to be a pretty big problem. You could either be a martial with low HP or a caster with poor concentration. Deal breaker.

Second array would be great for a CHA caster. Sorcerer or Warlock would work quite well.