PDA

View Full Version : How to make a Dragon Sage class interesting? A "half dragon old scholar" type.

MatrixStone93
2020-03-19, 11:30 PM
I'm trying to design a class around being an incredibly old and smart dragon or half-dragon who's also some kind of full caster. How do I make this unique and interesting without making it OP? One idea I had was to make it an unarmoured Cleric who gains Wizard spells and a free Domain or two while trading away something important. Or maybe a Cleric except you have two domains, knowledge domain, and the wizard spell list instead of the cleric spell list. Or a cleric who depends solely on WIS for everything, even melee attacks and BAB since dragons are usually meant for combat not casting.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-03-20, 12:33 AM
One word: archivist.

(Also: dragonborn.)

Telonius
2020-03-20, 09:22 AM
Are you looking to make it a regular 20-level base class, or a Prestige Class?

Zombulian
2020-03-20, 10:35 AM
A few points here:

1. To roll with the ideas you’ve already given, a Cloistered Cleric with the Divine Magician ACF would have 1 Domain of your choice, the Knowledge Domain, and access to Wizard spells from a few schools.

2. I second Archivist.

3. Dracolexi is a cool arcane casting PrC that is based around mastery of the Draconic language. Kinda like Skyrim type stuff.

4. The Wyrm Wizard PrC is also very strong and tied to dragon scholar type stuff.