PDA

View Full Version : Digital gaming coordination.

Shinizak
2020-03-20, 12:12 AM
I'm starting an online D&D game for a bunch of newbies because of a state wide quarantine. I'm probably going to use either skype or Roll20. any suggestions on how to coordinate this?

Sam113097
2020-03-20, 03:59 AM
I'm starting an online D&D game for a bunch of newbies because of a state wide quarantine. I'm probably going to use either skype or Roll20. any suggestions on how to coordinate this?

Which facet of the game are you looking to coordinate? Do you need help setting up Roll20? Personally, I like using Discord or a similar messaging service in which you can create various channels, including a general chat, character sheets, magic item stats, world info, etc.

Hunter Noventa
2020-03-20, 08:42 AM
My own group uses Discord for the voice chat, and Roll20 for the battle maps, though if you don't need maps you can get a die roller bot for Discord and do it all there.

Kelb_Panthera
2020-03-22, 05:50 PM
One more vote for discord for quick chatting. My group has the Atlantic between several of us and discord does us just fine. Setting up an account is free and setting up a server is trivial.

Guizonde
2020-03-22, 06:33 PM
i just dm'd friday and saturday using the discord-roll20 combo. despite one laggy internet connection throwing off one group's medic and the other's tank, it went fine. we used roll20 for map positionning and flavor pictures, really free-style, i'm talking "paint.exe from a 9yo" level of drawings, with colored x's representing characters, and using the discord channel for vox work and written details. we will include a secondary channel for dm to player apartés as well. as usual, my gaming sessions are done flying by the seat of my pants, and once you get used to roll20's less than intuitive interface, it goes smoothly. good thing their faq and guides are somewhat well-written.

i will say this for the record: i bloody hate playing like this. even with webcams, it leaves out a lot of body language and body-rp, and don't get me started on the slowness of dice rolls and resolutions. it was tolerable for my dark heresy v2 game since the player sheet is naturally supported on roll20, but for a custom d100 game, ouch. that was gruelling.