PDA

View Full Version : RAI for 1x/round AoE effects

RSP
2020-03-20, 10:39 AM
So here’s the situation:

Bad guy (BG) trying to get away.
-Intelligent mount of bad guy (IM) flies next to BG and ends it’s turn.
-BG casts invisibility and mounts IM (but doesn’t “control” it so no initiative order shifts)
-PC goes and casts Sickening Radiance, covering the area of the IM and BG.
-IM’s turn starts, and per the SR spell, told a save, fails and takes damage/suffers exhaustion/starts glowing. IM then leaves the AoE of SR.
-BG’s turn starts and, RAW, won’t suffer the effects SR.

I believe the RAI (and what makes sense in the in-game world) is that SR should have affected the BG. Here’s the relevant RAW:

“When a creature moves into the spell’s area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there, that creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or take 4d10 radiant damage, and it suffers one level of exhaustion and emits a dim, greenish light in a 5-foot radius.”

I think this wording is intended to affect creatures once per round, however, this appears to be a RAW loophole. In-game, it doesn’t make sense, to me at least, that 2 creatures who are in the same AoE, for the same length of time (the same part of the same ~6 seconds) don’t have equal chance to be affected sole based on the fact that one creature happens to be riding the other.

Any thoughts on this? I know this is a very niche situation but anything here I’m missing?

Segev
2020-03-20, 10:45 AM
So here’s the situation:

Bad guy (BG) trying to get away.
-Intelligent mount of bad guy (IM) flies next to BG and ends it’s turn.
-BG casts invisibility and mounts IM (but doesn’t “control” it so no initiative order shifts)
-PC goes and casts Sickening Radiance, covering the area of the IM and BG.
-IM’s turn starts, and per the SR spell, told a save, fails and takes damage/suffers exhaustion/starts glowing. IM then leaves the AoE of SR.
-BG’s turn starts and, RAW, won’t suffer the effects SR.

I believe the RAI (and what makes sense in the in-game world) is that SR should have affected the BG. Here’s the relevant RAW:

“When a creature moves into the spell’s area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there, that creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or take 4d10 radiant damage, and it suffers one level of exhaustion and emits a dim, greenish light in a 5-foot radius.”

I think this wording is intended to affect creatures once per round, however, this appears to be a RAW loophole. In-game, it doesn’t make sense, to me at least, that 2 creatures who are in the same AoE, for the same length of time (the same part of the same ~6 seconds) don’t have equal chance to be affected sole based on the fact that one creature happens to be riding the other.

Any thoughts on this? I know this is a very niche situation but anything here I’m missing?

The same issue arises if a creature is shoved out of the AoE, or has some sort of Reaction ability that lets them move that they can trigger between the spell's casting and their turn.

You may want to check the spell itself; most of these effects specify that they also trigger on all creatures in the area when the spell goes off.

One way to read it, though, would be that "the first time on a turn" isn't necessarily THEIR turn. So if any turn has them enter the area, they are affected. On PC's turn, both IM and BG entered the area by being in it when it was cast. Saves should be made then.

RSP
2020-03-20, 03:00 PM
The same issue arises if a creature is shoved out of the AoE, or has some sort of Reaction ability that lets them move that they can trigger between the spell's casting and their turn.

Those situations, at least, can be explained away in-game such as getting shoved out of the AoE didn’t keep the character in the effect for long enough to suffer from it. I’m in agreement that they’re similar, but at least they involve someone else doing something to help (like another PC using their turn to shove their compatriot out of the area). This is they’re in the same area for the same duration but since one mounted, they suffer no effect.

You may want to check the spell itself; most of these effects specify that they also trigger on all creatures in the area when the spell goes off.

Some do. SR does not.

One way to read it, though, would be that "the first time on a turn" isn't necessarily THEIR turn. So if any turn has them enter the area, they are affected. On PC's turn, both IM and BG entered the area by being in it when it was cast. Saves should be made then.

Unfortunately not. Creature either moves into the area for the first time, or “starts its turn” there.

Segev
2020-03-20, 03:02 PM
Those situations, at least, can be explained away in-game such as getting shoved out of the AoE didn’t keep the character in the effect for long enough to suffer from it. I’m in agreement that they’re similar, but at least they involve someone else doing something to help (like another PC using their turn to shove their compatriot out of the area). This is they’re in the same area for the same duration but since one mounted, they suffer no effect.

Some do. SR does not.

Unfortunately not. Creature either moves into the area for the first time, or “starts its turn” there.

Yeah, sounds weird. I'd house-rule it to SR just applying to everyone in the area when it lands.