PDA

View Full Version : Hey - does the Giant watch BSG? [Poss Spoilers?]

Brasswatchman
2007-10-23, 01:39 PM
Hey -

Anybody knows if the Giant watches the new Battlestar Galactica on Scifi? Because - from all this stuff in the afterlife - I'm getting a major "One Year Later" feeling, you know? Anybody else have the same thought?

reorith
2007-10-23, 09:43 PM
i think it is just a coincidenceno. you're the only one to feel/think that.

Alfryd
2007-10-23, 09:45 PM
Don't you mean 'Downloaded'?

lonewolf23k
2007-10-23, 10:19 PM
Actually, that would be an interesting way to shake things up; Roy comes back to life, only to discover he's been dead for far longer then he realized, and now he needs to reunite the OotS in time to keep Xykon from reaching the next Gate...

Neftren
2007-10-23, 10:22 PM
That would be an interesting concept... or perhaps, he returns, but no longer as the party leader, having been replaced by Haley? Or perhaps the OotS just breaks up at strip 500.

PaladinFreak
2007-10-23, 11:56 PM
That would be interesting, but I hope we don't lose that much time from OotS.

The Bushranger
2007-10-24, 08:19 AM
or perhaps, he returns, but no longer as the party leader, having been replaced by Haley?

I would guess that Durkon would be ahead of Haley in the line of succession (assuming they actually thought of arranging such a thing - which I doubt :smalleek: ).

KillerCardinal
2007-10-24, 09:59 AM
I would guess that Durkon would be ahead of Haley in the line of succession (assuming they actually thought of arranging such a thing - which I doubt :smalleek: ).

OtOoPCs spoiler

Actually, Haley IS the second in command according to OtOoPCs.

psychoticbarber
2007-10-24, 10:03 AM
OtOoPCs spoiler

Wasn't this revealed in the comic too?

Well, I suppose not (having reviewed the comic), but said character certainly acts like the leader (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0467.html).

Edna
2007-10-24, 02:15 PM
Wasn't this revealed in the comic too?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0444.html (7th panel)

sihnfahl
2007-10-24, 02:32 PM
Actually, that would be an interesting way to shake things up; Roy comes back to life, only to discover he's been dead for far longer then he realized, and now he needs to reunite the OotS in time to keep Xykon from reaching the next Gate...
V, Durkon and Elan are safe on the boat. Elan won't leave without Haley, Durkon will wait for Roy to come back, and V ... pretty much seems to be sticking around because the OOTS is pretty effective when they aren't bum-rushed by an entire army. Plus, now that V knows about the gates, V's intellectual curiosity is probably aroused to the point V HAS to find out more.

Belkar, thanks to the mark, will be loathe to leave Roy's body anywhere.

Haley's already made her decision to have Roy resurrected (to the point of putting her life on the line for it).

So, when Roy comes back, the OOTS will probably be intact. As for Xykon? He's going to be getting his info on where the next gate is pretty soon, if O'chul is privy to the secret. So, even if Roy was ressed the next day, Xykon would already be prepping for the next gate...

The Bushranger
2007-10-24, 04:00 PM
OtOoPCs spoiler

Ah, thanks. :smallsmile:

psychoticbarber
2007-10-24, 07:02 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0444.html (7th panel)

THANK YOU, I knew it was in there somewhere, just wasn't up to giving the concerted effort required to find it. :smallbiggrin:

Brasswatchman
2007-10-25, 12:14 AM
Huh. If tonight's strip is any indication, I seem to have called it.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-25, 12:48 AM
In answer to the topic, I find it probable given the number of other prime time science fiction shows he references (his username originated in Babylon Five, for one thing.) "One Year Later", however, is also the exact name and theme of a recent event in DC Comics, where they did a major continuity revamp, skipped ahead a year in all their titles, and then went back though that year week by week in a cross-title miniseries.

So he could have gotten the idea from that.

Porthos
2007-10-25, 01:01 AM
In answer to the topic, I find it probable given the number of other prime time science fiction shows he references (his username originated in Babylon Five, for one thing.) "One Year Later", however, is also the exact name and theme of a recent event in DC Comics, where they did a major continuity revamp, skipped ahead a year in all their titles, and then went back though that year week by week in a cross-title miniseries.

So he could have gotten the idea from that.

Yeah, but a ragtag fleet, low on supplies, that is fleeing a devastating war (ie 484)? What show does that remind you of? :smallwink:

Not only that, but Helo Haley is stuck back on Caprica Azure City. :smallamused:

Roderick_BR
2007-10-25, 03:33 AM
And reading number 498.... looks like it. At least 3 months thus far.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-10-25, 04:14 AM
I find the idea that anyone seriously believes that a mere timeskip could constitute a reference incredibly bemusing.

Lamech
2007-10-25, 08:07 AM
Yeah, but a ragtag fleet, low on supplies, that is fleeing a devastating war (ie 484)? What show does that remind you of?
Unfourtunetly for the Ragtag fleet Xykon has air supperiority and suppierior range as well, in Battle Star Glactica they seem to at least have a chance of winning a fight. The fleet in OotS also can't jump away if they get attacked and Xykon will almost certainly be faster.

Brasswatchman
2007-10-27, 12:02 AM
I find the idea that anyone seriously believes that a mere timeskip could constitute a reference incredibly bemusing.

Actually, I only brought up the BSG thing as a way of discussing the possibility of a timeskip itself. Now that it's official, though, the point's kind of moot.

Edit: Well, that, and I was just curious if the Giant watched the show or not.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-27, 04:02 AM
Yeah, but a ragtag fleet, low on supplies, that is fleeing a devastating war (ie 484)? What show does that remind you of? :smallwink:
About 80% of speculative fiction?

dragongirl13
2007-10-28, 07:34 PM
It's probably just coincidental. But the Giant probably does watch Battlestar Galactica. No self-respecting geek can not watch Battlestar Galactica.

And when I call someone a geek, it's a compliment.

Brasswatchman
2007-11-02, 07:06 PM
It's probably just coincidental. But the Giant probably does watch Battlestar Galactica. No self-respecting geek can not watch Battlestar Galactica.

And when I call someone a geek, it's a compliment.

Indeed*.

*Wrong franchise, I admit.