PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Front Line Arcana Cleric, Divination God Wizard and Hex-Bard Blaster - 4th Char?

Wasp
2020-03-20, 05:35 PM
Hi everyone!

What would you play in a group that will probably contain some sort of

VHuman Front Line Arcana Cleric with Magic Initiate for Thornwhip and the like
Diviniation Wizard filling the God Wizard role, and
Hexblade/Bard Blaster or Archer?

Stats are a little wonky (18, 11, 11, 10, 9, 9) but don't let yourself be influenced by that. What kind of character would work best in this kind of constellation?

Anjun
2020-03-20, 05:38 PM
Halfelf Hexblade1/PaladinX or Hexblade2/PaladinX for ranged (Eldrich Blast/Agonizing Blast)

Edit: Sorry, I forgot multiclass req. STR13. So you would have to use your first ASI or go VHuman and take a STR feat. Or go pure paladin if you can get a STR item.

I always want to have at least one Paladin for the aura in a well balanced group.

Sparky McDibben
2020-03-20, 06:12 PM
Sounds like you're missing a skilled character with some niche chops (like espionage or wilderness survival).

I'd play as a rogue or monk, either inquisitive or scout for the former, or either open hand or shadow for the latter.

But more importantly, play what inspires you.

Sam113097
2020-03-20, 06:56 PM
Sounds like you're missing a skilled character with some niche chops (like espionage or wilderness survival).

I'd play as a rogue or monk, either inquisitive or scout for the former, or either open hand or shadow for the latter.

Ranger would also be good for some utility and a little bit of survivability. Plus, you could switch between melee and range depending on what is needed, and have a healing spell or two just in case.

Evaar
2020-03-20, 07:06 PM
I think you'd want a beefy, strength based melee for this. You have the Cleric for Wisdom Tanking Support Control, you have the Wizard for Intelligence Support Control, and the Bardlock for Charisma Support Blasting.

You have a lot of Support. Lots of set up. You need someone who can spike the ball. And I'm pretty sure everyone in your party is going to have a low Strength (maybe not the cleric but since they took Magic Initiate I assume they're getting Shillelagh), which tends to come up.

So you can just do standard Great Weapon Fighting things if you want. Chop off some heads. Whatever sounds good. Barbarian, Fighter, Paladin all work.

Realistically you'd probably get the most out of Paladin just because of auras and smiting, and probably Vengeance or Devotion would be the best options with Ancients or Conquest following them.

For Barbarian, if you go with a Zealot, your Cleric may have an opportunity to take advantage of the free raise dead and you otherwise just do Barbarian things pretty well. You could also go with a Totem Warrior to get some wilderness utility you're otherwise missing; although not a lot of it.

Fighter can work with Battlemaster (of course), Eldritch Knight (of course, but maybe not a perfect fit since that's a little more tank focused than what you need), Cavalier (and I think your Cleric could grab Sentinel to make the DM always provoke attacks from one of you when he hits the other), Echo Knight, or Samurai.

You could also do something a little wacky like a Horizon Walker Ranger and still go strength focused with a two hander. Again, gets you some wilderness utility and this time quite a lot of it, but you don't have all the tools to capitalize on head chopping that you get with the other options. Gloom Stalker would also work well, though it might be a little weird playing a Gloom Stalker with just an okay Stealth score, but the class mechanics don't really require it.

I anticipate the Bard will have a decent Dex but I could be mistaken on that, since they dipped Hexblade they might just go for the bare minimum. If that's the case, a Dex melee might also fill a useful niche as a scout. The Wizard can pull this off with Divination or a familiar, but even so you'll probably run into situations where you want someone with good Dex. A Shadowblade user can really crank out the damage if you want to go that route. That seems to work best as an Eldritch Knight.

Wasp
2020-03-21, 06:23 AM
Edit: Sorry, I forgot multiclass req. STR13. So you would have to use your first ASI or go VHuman and take a STR feat. Or go pure paladin if you can get a STR item.
I like the idea of a paladin, but with those stats a paladin may be a little squishy. I think I would like to avoid Hexblade due to the other HexBard. But maybe I can convince them to go Battlesmith instead (that was their first idea)

I kinda like the shadow monk idea (I dabbled in the idea to play the UA Twilight Cleric before the stat rolls) but feel I should probably stay out of melee.

Ranger would also be good for some utility and a little bit of survivability. Plus, you could switch between melee and range depending on what is needed, and have a healing spell or two just in case.

Realistically you'd probably get the most out of Paladin just because of auras and smiting, and probably Vengeance or Devotion would be the best options with Ancients or Conquest following them.
Yeah, maybe a Devotion Paladin with the right theme would be nice...

For Barbarian, if you go with a Zealot, your Cleric may have an opportunity to take advantage of the free raise dead and you otherwise just do Barbarian things pretty well. You could also go with a Totem Warrior to get some wilderness utility you're otherwise missing; although not a lot of it.

[QUOTE=Evaar;24409836]
Fighter can work with Battlemaster (of course), Eldritch Knight (of course, but maybe not a perfect fit since that's a little more tank focused than what you need), Cavalier (and I think your Cleric could grab Sentinel to make the DM always provoke attacks from one of you when he hits the other), Echo Knight, or Samurai.
A nice combo with the Cleric could be nice... I'll look into Cavalier again.

I anticipate the Bard will have a decent Dex but I could be mistaken on that, since they dipped Hexblade they might just go for the bare minimum. If that's the case, a Dex melee might also fill a useful niche as a scout. The Wizard can pull this off with Divination or a familiar, but even so you'll probably run into situations where you want someone with good Dex. A Shadowblade user can really crank out the damage if you want to go that route. That seems to work best as an Eldritch Knight.
I do think the DEX wasn't that high, but I am not sure. Hmmm lots of options from that angle as well...