PDA

View Full Version : Help out a Wii Newbie

SandDemon
2007-10-23, 02:01 PM
Alright, so after awhile of convincing, I've finally purchased a Wii for my wife and I to play together or when we have company (she's usually anti-games in general). We both like Wii Sports, but obviously that's the only thing we have right now.

Ok summary aside, I'm looking for some tidbits on good games for the Wii - maybe a little spoon-feeding, but after browsing a few stores the games look all childish (and not in a good Wii sports "anyone can play" way, but as in "Barbie meets Nintendo" way). I know obviously I'll get Smash and Mario-Kart when they come out but what kind of game options are out right now?

Oh and I've already ordered Ikaruga for Gamecube for myself :smallbiggrin: Best spaceship shooter ever.

So suggestions?

A Rainy Knight
2007-10-23, 02:08 PM
Wii Carnival Games. My parents and I like it well enough.
Also, although slightly less silly, I love Excite Truck.
And on the weirder side is WarioWare: Smooth Moves.

These are my recommendations. From your description, try the Wii Carnival.

Drglenn
2007-10-23, 02:16 PM
I don't own a Wii (i haven't even played on one :smallfrown:) but the new Zelda and Metroid games look good if you're into shooting (metroid) or adventure (both) games

SandDemon
2007-10-23, 03:02 PM
I don't own a Wii (i haven't even played on one :smallfrown:) but the new Zelda and Metroid games look good if you're into shooting (metroid) or adventure (both) games

I'm usually a PC guy for that kind of thing, this is more for my wife and company.

Merlin the Tuna
2007-10-23, 03:04 PM
Zelda is solid, but again, not multiplayer, so that's really not the angle here. Super Mario Galaxy does have some co-op features, though, so that may be a good pickup.

Alebeard_Thunderax
2007-10-23, 05:47 PM
In spite of what reviewers might say, Wii Play is actually really good. The games are all simple, but get addicting really fast. Plus, it comes with a controller, so you basically pay $10 for the game. My favorite games are 9-ball (you can actually put on english and do jumps), and Tanks.

kpenguin
2007-10-23, 06:22 PM
MUA for Wii is actually pretty good, although you won't get the new characters for the Xbox 360.

Ranis
2007-10-23, 08:56 PM
...maybe a little spoon-feeding, but after browsing a few stores the games look all childish (and not in a good Wii sports "anyone can play" way, but as in "Barbie meets Nintendo" way).

Welcome to Nintendo's largest target audience.

Have fun with your Wii.

Icewalker
2007-10-23, 08:58 PM
WiiPlay is quite fun. My friend has it, and I've played it a bit. Other than that, to my limited knowledge, Wii Sports is one of the only other things that would really fit that description.

Logic Cannon
2007-10-23, 11:23 PM
I own a Wii and have enjoyed several of the games released for it thus far. I can confidently recommend the following:
-WiiSports and WiiPlay are both simple, but fun, game collections that anyone can enjoy. I recommend picking up WiiPlay. The cow racing, tanks, pool, and fishing are worth it alone.
-Resident Evil 4 is great on the Wii. The Wiimote works wonderfully with the RE4 controls.
-Raving Rabbids is basically a fun minigame collection, and it's cheap to boot. I'm currently enjoying my copy for its sheer silliness.
-Mario Party 8 is good for group play, as is Wario Ware.
-I've heard good things of Elebits and Metroid, and contrasting reports on Zelda. It's up to you whether you decide to pick them up.

Triaxx
2007-10-24, 09:38 AM
Metroid Prime 3: More fun than you can shake a Wii-mote at. I could wish for more use of the ship, but it's a minor complaint.

Zelda: TP :I've only played it on the GC, but it's more fun than anything since Ocarina of Time. It definitely counts as an epic adventure.

RE:4 :Way more fun than it has any right to be, don't let anyone tell you it's easier than the GC version, it's just much easier to use with the Wii-mote. You can even see it by plugging in a GC controller and you'll understand the difference.

Okami: It's on it's way to the Wii. No more need be said.

---

Mini-games are fun enough, but the five above are meat games. The kind of games those mini games prep you for. I'd probably have to say WiiPlay.

Dark Demon Lord
2007-10-24, 09:43 AM
I'll be getting metroid in two days...

Anyway, Wii Play is good and so is super mnkey ball. hard but addictive.

Penguinizer
2007-10-24, 12:38 PM
Rayman Raving Rabbids is utterly hilarious :D

Hooray for swinging cows and sending the flying for hundreds of meters <3

That game rules. Lots of fun minigames.

Querzis
2007-10-24, 12:53 PM
Metroid prime is wonderfull if you like shooter, zelda, Wario Ware, mario party, Sonic (yeah I know, apparently I'm one of the very few who liked it), carnival games, pokemon (its still pretty cool RPG but all the games are repetitive, dont buy it if you got any other pokemon), super mario galaxy and Rayman are all great but my favorite game on the Wii right now is definitly Dragonball Z budokai tenchi 2. Thats one of the best fighting game I ever played. I never even watched DBZ but that game is so damn cool, it isnt the most sold game in Japan right now for nothing. Until Super Smash Brawl release, its the best game on the Wii as far as I'm concerned.

Rogue 7
2007-10-24, 01:08 PM
For single player, Zelda is amazing. It was worth my entire system just to be able to play that game.

...But then I'm a Zelda fanboy, don't take what I say too seriously.
For multiplayer, Warioware is absolutely amazingly crazy. It's hilarious, and tons of fun. You will laugh yourself into a coma. Best part is, you can play it with 5 people and one wiimote.
Mario Party I don't have too much experience with, but they're generally decently solid, if so numerous they'll drown you.
Don't know any other good Wii games for multiplayer, though.

Merlin the Tuna
2007-10-24, 01:28 PM
Yeah, I dunno how I forgot about WarioWare. It's a great game if you're looking for a multiplayer fix. Zack & Wiki (released yesterday) is also a puzzle game that has been getting some pretty solid reviews across the board. Co-op is pretty limited, as I understand it -- other Wii-motes can be used to point at things on the screen as a visual aid, and that's it -- but puzzle games can be pretty co-operative by their nature anyway.

Azuroth
2007-10-24, 05:18 PM
I'm usually a PC guy for that kind of thing, this is more for my wife and company.

As am I. That said, GET METROID! I'm not sure if it's better than mouse and keyboard, but it's very, very close. (Also, Prime is an adventure game that involves shooting from first person, not an FPS that has adventure elements.)

Zelda, well, it's Zelda, not much to say there. If you liked OoT, you'll like TP.

Wario Ware and Mario Party are good for parties/friends over.

Mc. Lovin'
2007-10-24, 05:37 PM
And on the weirder side is WarioWare: Smooth Moves.

This is a brilliant game for multiplayer, but really easy to complete in sinlge player (about 2 hours)

Triaxx
2007-10-24, 06:11 PM
As am I. That said, GET METROID! I'm not sure if it's better than mouse and keyboard, but it's very, very close. (Also, Prime is an adventure game that involves shooting from first person, not an FPS that has adventure elements.)

Definitely more fun than playing with a mouse. Much more natural.

Zelda, well, it's Zelda, not much to say there. If you liked OoT, you'll like TP.

I have to second that. I just can't say it enough.

RTGoodman
2007-10-24, 06:35 PM
I'll second Mario Party. I haven't played on the Wii, but I spent a many a night a couple of summers ago playing "Mario Party" and the "Alien Hominid" Stickman mini-game.

Also, definitely buy "Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz" (or whatever the Monkey Ball game for the Wii is). It has the best mini-games ever.

Jothki
2007-10-24, 06:35 PM
I hear that Zack and Wiki is good, though I haven't had a chance to play it yet. It's a sort of point and click puzzle adventure game, kind of like the Goblins series if you've played any of those.

PlatinumJester
2007-10-28, 03:07 PM
Resi 4 is solid. Even the cover is scary.