PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Homebrew Creature Feedback: The Quellor

Jetl0cke
2020-03-21, 02:19 AM
https://i.imgur.com/riNyba2.png

I was hoping I could get some feedback on this homebrew creature I'm working on. I want to make a few adjustments, but this is pretty close to my vision.

The creature itself looks like a large six-legged spider-like construct with two long arms and a cage on its back.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

John Out West
2020-03-21, 04:19 AM
I'm disappointed in the lack of lore. I wanna know who made it and how, what it does with the things it imprisons, what it does when its out in the wild, and for what devious purpose a wizard needed to pair a construct with a magic cage and a silence spell. Is it always a lone wolf, or does it play a role in group attacks? I like lore, please give us lore.

Mechanically, seems fine. A barbarians not gonna have too much trouble tanking it, but if it catches a group by surprise it could be for a pretty fun encounter.

Is there a reason the quelling field is 120ft? Seems too large to be used stealthfully, (I imagine the group would notice when everything becomes silent and gear up for a fight) although, thats just me assuming its a stealth monster.

A non-magical weakness would be nice for flavor.

JNAProductions
2020-03-21, 12:14 PM
The Quelling Field is a little much, since it makes most spellcasters completely useless in the fight. You'd either need nonverbal spells, which are rare, or spells with a range of more than 120' (that are rare as well) AND the distance to use them. I'd drop it to 30' at most. I mean, heck, you say Dispel Magic can be used to negate it, but that's a 120' range spell that has Verbal components, so unless you're a Sorcerer with Subtle Spell, you can't use it!

Imprison appears to indicate it can give multiple levels of Exhaustion, but it only triggers once right now. Also, Exhaustion is a freaking PAINFUL condition.

Jetl0cke
2020-03-21, 08:32 PM
I'm disappointed in the lack of lore. I wanna know who made it and how, what it does with the things it imprisons, what it does when its out in the wild, and for what devious purpose a wizard needed to pair a construct with a magic cage and a silence spell. Is it always a lone wolf, or does it play a role in group attacks? I like lore, please give us lore.

Mechanically, seems fine. A barbarians not gonna have too much trouble tanking it, but if it catches a group by surprise it could be for a pretty fun encounter.

Is there a reason the quelling field is 120ft? Seems too large to be used stealthfully, (I imagine the group would notice when everything becomes silent and gear up for a fight) although, thats just me assuming its a stealth monster.

A non-magical weakness would be nice for flavor.

So, the creature is mainly intended for a homebrew world of mine where a race of people lived on a plane (called Argil) before the gods arrived called the Ennayth. When they do arrive and start creating the lesser races, the Ennayth get pretty pissed, and start a war with the gods and their creations.

The Quellors were created by a powerful Ennayth artificer to capture and bring members of these lesser races to him for "examination". They generally would be deployed at night and smash windows and barricades in complete silence to capture people. The fields also doubled as a way to combat spellcasters.

Eventually the Ennayth create a machine that projects something called the "God Wave" that was intended to destroy or banish the gods from Argil. What they didn't know was the Ennayth also each held a divine spark. While the gods were banished, the Ennayth were annihilated or turned into hollow monstrosities. So their creations now roam the world with no purpose.

Jetl0cke
2020-03-21, 08:34 PM
The Quelling Field is a little much, since it makes most spellcasters completely useless in the fight. You'd either need nonverbal spells, which are rare, or spells with a range of more than 120' (that are rare as well) AND the distance to use them. I'd drop it to 30' at most. I mean, heck, you say Dispel Magic can be used to negate it, but that's a 120' range spell that has Verbal components, so unless you're a Sorcerer with Subtle Spell, you can't use it!

Imprison appears to indicate it can give multiple levels of Exhaustion, but it only triggers once right now. Also, Exhaustion is a freaking PAINFUL condition.

Originally I had the field at 60ft and increased it to 120, but you're right, that might be a bit much.

I also intended for the exhaustion to happen at the beginning of each imprisoned creature's turn, and I'll need to adjust the wording on that.