PDA

View Full Version : 3e - Is it just me, or is the Epic Embed Gem feat...

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-03-21, 03:30 AM
...100% worthless?

Epic Embed Gem [Epic, Psionic]
Your body can handle the stress of embedding additional gems.
Prerequisites: Crystal master level 11+, at least five embedded gems.
Benefit: You embed one new gem. The gem must come from the list of gems available to the crystal master. Once a part of the body has a gem embedded in it, another gem cannot be embedded in that part of the body. The powers and restrictions on each gem are found with the crystal master prestige class. The level restriction is the minimum level of crystal master needed to take this gem. Each type of gem can be embedded only once.
Special: This feat may be taken up to five times. Each time this feat is taken, you can embed an additional gem -- one each in hands, feet, or head. This feat can be taken as a bonus feat by the epic crystal master.

The feat requires 11+ levels in crystal master, meaning you already have five embedded gems, one in each of the five available body slots for them to go in. The underlined part means you cannot use this feat, even if you take it, as all five places already have embedded gems. The Special qualifier doesn't even help with that, since it's blocked by the underlined bit.

What's the point of this feat? I could see it if you dipped into crystal master for a level or two, but the prereq nixes that pretty hard. It would work if it said you couldn't add more than a total of 2 in each spot, but it specifies no more than one per body part.

hamishspence
2020-03-21, 03:47 AM
...100% worthless?

The feat requires 11+ levels in crystal master, meaning you already have five embedded gems, one in each of the five available body slots for them to go in. The underlined part means you cannot use this feat, even if you take it, as all five places already have embedded gems. The Special qualifier doesn't even help with that, since it's blocked by the underlined bit.

What's the point of this feat? I could see it if you dipped into crystal master for a level or two, but the prereq nixes that pretty hard. It would work if it said you couldn't add more than a total of 2 in each spot, but it specifies no more than one per body part.

Maybe it's designed for creatures with multiple body parts beyond the norm? Normally, no matter how many heads you have, you can benefit from no more than one Head Slot Item, no matter how many arms you have, you can benefit from no more than two rings, etc.

So, an ettin Epic Crystal Master with the feat could imbed a gem in each head instead of just the one?

Firest Kathon
2020-03-21, 08:44 AM
I would understand the feat to allow you to add a gem in addition to the gem normally allowed to be embedded (note: I do not know the crystal master class). That means if you take this feat five times, you can embed two gems into each slot. The restrictions you underlined seems to mean that you cannot take this feat multiple times for the same slot, i.e. you could not embed three gems into the hand slot by taking this feat two times.

hamishspence
2020-03-21, 08:58 AM
The prestige class:

Crystal Master (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625d)

The epic prestige class

Epic Crystal Master (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20030221a)

Advancing into the world of epic psionics, the epic crystal master has discovered that she can embed additional gems in her hands, feet, and even head. The process is even more painful than embedding her original five gems. When the procedure is complete, the gem has fused with the epic crystal master's circulatory system in the area of the body in which the gem is placed, and it shows through the skin as a faint shimmer. Because of this, the epic crystal master is usually easily recognizable.

Epic Embed Gem: The epic crystal master gains the Epic Embed Gem feat at 12th, 16th, and 20th levels.

It seems pretty clear that it's intended to be interpreted as "you can imbed one (and only one) additional gem in each slot."

I would understand the feat to allow you to add a gem in addition to the gem normally allowed to be embedded (note: I do not know the crystal master class). That means if you take this feat five times, you can embed two gems into each slot. The restrictions you underlined seems to mean that you cannot take this feat multiple times for the same slot, i.e. you could not embed three gems into the hand slot by taking this feat two times.

I agree.

nedz
2020-03-21, 08:59 AM
The benefit and special sections contradict each other. Maybe it's a rules dysfunction, as if such things might exist ?

hamishspence
2020-03-21, 09:06 AM
Or a copy-paste error.

Biggus
2020-03-21, 09:09 AM
The prestige class:

Crystal Master (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625d)

The epic prestige class

Epic Crystal Master (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20030221a)

It seems pretty clear that it's intended to be interpreted as "you can imbed one (and only one) additional gem in each slot."

I agree.

Given that the "special" section says "Each time this feat is taken, you can embed an additional gem -- one each in hands, feet, or head" which uses exactly the same language as the epic Crystal Master text, I think this is the correct interpretation.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-03-21, 09:12 AM
You're missing something. Epic Embed Gem gives you five additional body slots in which to embed your gems:

Crystal Master Embed Gem: She can embed up to five gems (see table below) -- one each in the arms, legs, and chest.

Epic Embed Gem, Special: Each time this feat is taken, you can embed an additional gem -- one each in hands, feet, or head.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-03-21, 09:25 AM
You're missing something. Epic Embed Gem gives you five additional body slots in which to embed your gems:

Crystal Master Embed Gem: She can embed up to five gems (see table below) -- one each in the arms, legs, and chest.

Epic Embed Gem, Special: Each time this feat is taken, you can embed an additional gem -- one each in hands, feet, or head.Ah. That'd do it. Thanks.

hamishspence
2020-03-21, 09:26 AM
You're missing something. Epic Embed Gem gives you five additional body slots in which to embed your gems

Ooh, good point.

So, regular crystal master - one in each arm, one in each leg, one in chest

epic crystal master - one in each hand, one in each foot (hands and feet are not the same as arms and legs) one in the head.

Just goes to show - checking the prestige class itself closely would have revealed that the slots granted are different from those granted by the epic feat.