PDA

View Full Version : Jumanji The Next Level

Cikomyr2
2020-03-21, 07:02 PM
So I watched that movie yesterday.

Holy crap that was awesome. I had a genuine blast. Perfect sequel: it repeats the style of the original, but doesn't unnecessarily rethread old grounds without making the new extra jokes.

My gf and I had to stop the movie a number of time to give us time to breath.

Tarmor
2020-03-21, 07:29 PM
I agree. I'm pleased to see a sequel using the same characters/actors, that builds on the previous movie but takes it in different directions and still manages to be entertaining and really good. I really enjoyed the new characters,and the new stories. Too many sequels try to out-do the earlier film and turn out to be worse. This was brilliant repeat.
Repeating some elements, like the initial "deaths", especially the hippo and the snake were great. I expected them but it was good to repeat some things because its still the same "game" at first. Mixing bodies is an old idea, but was done very well. I was impressed with the acting taking this into account - the same actors having to do and say things differently because they aren't the same 'person' in the avatar. I was also pleased to see the set-up for yet another movie. After two done so well, I'd love to see one more.

The Glyphstone
2020-03-21, 08:26 PM
I was actually a little disappointed, though I think that was my own expectations getting away from me. It was a perfectly serviceable sequel, retreading the same basic concept/plot with a new and more varied set of environments and new characters in the cast.

But with the taglines being 'the game is broken and fighting back', I was expecting genuine glitches beyond 'involuntary character selection'. Abilities not working right, NPCs behaving oddly outside of their programming, missing/damaged levels, etc. I guess I'll have to wait for the 3rd movie to get my fill of that, assuming the stinger means what it strongly implies.

I did enjoy many of the jokes, though. Fridge's real-life cake phobia got a hearty chuckle from me. And it was clear the actors were having a blast 'swapping' bodies with each other, which is always fun.

Cikomyr2
2020-03-22, 09:32 AM
I was actually a little disappointed, though I think that was my own expectations getting away from me. It was a perfectly serviceable sequel, retreading the same basic concept/plot with a new and more varied set of environments and new characters in the cast.

But with the taglines being 'the game is broken and fighting back', I was expecting genuine glitches beyond 'involuntary character selection'. Abilities not working right, NPCs behaving oddly outside of their programming, missing/damaged levels, etc. I guess I'll have to wait for the 3rd movie to get my fill of that, assuming the stinger means what it strongly implies.

I did enjoy many of the jokes, though. Fridge's real-life cake phobia got a hearty chuckle from me. And it was clear the actors were having a blast 'swapping' bodies with each other, which is always fun.

I think the big difference is that I had no expectations. I didnt watch any trailer for the movie. I just knew it was a Jumanji Sequel, and wanted to watch it because I had a blast with the original.

I've come to the conclusion that besides the earliest trailer/teasers that informs me of a movie's style and aesthetics, I shouldn't watch any trailers because they make me build expectations that a movie shouldn't have to burden.

It allowed me to take movies for what they are, instead of trying to take them for what I thought they should be. Plus, I watch a Moviebob review who just tells me if the movie is worth for the fun factor, and why. His Godzilla KotM review made me buy tickets within the hour, and I wasn't disapointed.

The Glyphstone
2020-03-22, 10:39 AM
I can't even say I watched any trailers, I just saw the advertising tagline they put on the posters and invented what my brain thought was an even better movie.

I watched the two of them back-to-back as well, renting Welcome To The Jungle then seeing The Next Level the day after. So WTTJ was still super fresh in my mind.