PDA

View Full Version : The Ides of March: Cavir

Acanous
2020-03-21, 08:55 PM
Firstly, just to get this out of the way, if your name isn't on the thread and you're in my game, don't be looking in the thread. This thread is for Cavir. Don't read further unless that's you.

Everyone find their designated door or seat?

Great.

We begin.

Swiftpass sits on a secondary trade route, serviced as it is by both a river and a network of roads. The Sustain river flows east from Swiftpass all the way out of the country, passing through the free city-state of Cyhloneri before flowing into Chagartha, the Kingdom of Monsters.
Your father, the Duke has been negotiating a trade deal with several of the other nobles, trying for an extension on interest- given that delivery of goods or payment TO swiftpass is prompt, while outbound traffic takes a bit more time.
There are several other lords who have points of contention, and he's expecting to be gone for about a month, visiting neighboring cities and proposing new deals.

That doesn't much interest Marcus, however. What's more interesting to the young lord is the Border Ranger, Robert Gelliford, and his reports of orc raiders over the last two months. The raiders seem to be targeting smaller farming communities. They take a little food, no coin or livestock, but all the women they can lay hands on.
That smacks of slavery, and it cannot be tolerated.
There are a few survivors, whom you could talk to, a little ways to the east, or you could perhaps ride out with a ranging party, trying to find evidence of the creatures. Finally, Robert postulates that the orcs may be coming out on foot, and then taking a rivercraft back, with their "Catch", all the way into Chagartha. It would mean there's more than one, or even five different raiding parties, but that they would be following the river- and thus, you could take a force to intercept them. If he's right.

You only have a small force. Swiftpass itself is only a village of about 1500 people. It's the lands around it where the majority of the labor come from, and pressing peasants into service traditionally does not end well.
You have about thirty house troops at your disposal, with six "Town guard" and a small militia of another twenty young lads, who mostly do fire detail and night watch, but who all have regular jobs as well.
The orc raiding parties, you know nothing about except that they've struck twice in the last two months, are comprised of at least a few orcs, and that they carry off human women in the night.

Of course, you could go riding after your father, requesting more troops from the other lords, but that would assuredly weaken his bargaining position at the very least.

The sun is just beginning to set. House guards are lighting lanterns, patrolling the walls of your father's keep. Clouds turn a peculiar shade of salmon, slowly rolling in from the coast to the south.
Whatever you decide, there is a lot of land to cover, and not enough men. You'll only be able to do one.
adding sheet (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2153739) for ease of reference

Cavir
2020-03-22, 09:37 PM
https://i.ibb.co/M2GKn6H/b8796f3ddc249b68ab2026eab0db9e26.jpg

Marcus Bilton, eldest son of Duke Darius Bilton, sat at the oak counsel table with his mother Duchess Margo Bilton, family advisor Samuel Danskin, and Border Ranger Robert Gelliford. None wore formal attire.

Marcus had been away at the capital receiving martial training from the best weapon masters royal gold could buy. He returned to the family estate barely two weeks before his father needed to leave for negotiations. The Ranger spent little time in Swiftpass so Marcus was happy to see Robert and hear his report. The news itself was not so heartening. The Duchess was in charge while Father was away but Marcus took the lead here.

"Master Gelliford, thank you for your report." Marcus had known Robert while growing up and had high admiration for him. The formality wasn't needed here but it was his way to show earned respect. "Once could be random, but the repeated raids call for action on our part." He glanced around those present while mentally thinking through his plan. "I'll take a unit of house troops to put a stop to these raids. We don't know their numbers or location, but we'll gather what information we can and ambush them if given the chance. Master Ranger, would you journey with us? You knowledge of the land and tracking skill would be most useful."

He turned to the Duchess. "Mother, if the orcs are taking the Sustain into Chagartha then they must be passing through Cyhloneri in both directions. Do we have contacts in Cyhloneri you could have look into that? Does Cyhloneri support or turn a blind eye to slavery?"

Acanous
2020-03-23, 08:18 AM
Robert nods, his somber mood only natural given the gravity of the situation.
"I would, my lord. Someone has to put a stop to this, and if I can be of service, I'd put myself at your disposal."

You address your mother, who points at a scroll she's laid out on the table.
oh hey look at that, your mother has a map.

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/6ee5f258-1b33-4386-b4d3-368373fbe4e1/ddt1ppw-103d0ffd-eca8-4c06-ac41-2ba2c0216852.jpg/v1/fill/w_1280,h_720,q_75,strp/idesmap_by_idesdm_ddt1ppw-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI 1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNh NWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMT g4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7 ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNmVlNWYyNT gtMWIzMy00Mzg2LWI0ZDMtMzY4MzczZmJlNGUxXC9kZHQxcHB3 LTEwM2QwZmZkLWVjYTgtNGMwNi1hYzQxLTJiYTJjMDIxNjg1Mi 5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46 c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.UIOFcubacXSRk mFx3EHXLqCASILWzjc3LjnFsY4vb7M
"Yes, they would have to pass through both ways. I know a few people there, but our relations are... frosty most of the time. They exist by being too much trouble to absorb, and they act as a buffer between ourselves and Chagarta, at least on the river. It is possible they're only going downriver one way, sending their raids from the border south of Egullehferi. It's too far north of Sheoraholamy to really be noticed. Especially since that's a city of gnomes.
Not that I think that's what's happening,"
she takes a pause to sip at her wine. "But I'm sure if we were to go into Cyhloneri with a war party, they'd claim it, and that they didn't see any slaves besides.
As far as I'm aware, Cyhloneri does not trade in slaves, though they do not liberate them either. Chagarta certainly does keep slaves. We retrieve them sometimes, branded, tattooed or pierced. Depending."

Cavir
2020-03-23, 09:19 PM
Marcus studies the map. "It would be best to find them before their next raid, or at least before they make the river. Master Gelliford, can you point out approximate locations of the raids on the map? Seeing their pattern will give us a starting point, perhaps even point out the route they use. We can stop at one of the raided settlements if you think they'll have useful information."

"Master Danskin, please have Captain Farloft pick ten men to join us, including a couple who are also proficient with a bow. We'll also need a capable stable hand to manage the horses along the way. Everyone should have supplies including bandaging and be ready to ride out at dawn."

"Are there any concerns or questions?"

Acanous
2020-03-23, 09:52 PM
The Ranger frowns, obviously unused to maps. He marks a few locations near the river, closer to where it splits into tributaries. "Here...and...here, I think. It's my best estimate."
You notice that the second one is further from the border. If they're ranging further in, they'll be a mere twenty miles away from Swiftpass. Or maybe, if they turn with the split, a solid day's ride out. Either way, it's only a day's travel on horseback. That's remarkably bold.

"I'll see to the men." Master Danskin salutes you, heading off to speak to Captain Farloft. Your mother gives you an approving look.

Are you heading straight out, or do you have preparations to make? I'll be fast-traveling you to the next event as soon as you're ready to go.

Cavir
2020-03-24, 07:42 AM
"If they are that close, all the quicker to find them."

Marcus will dine with his family and ensure his horse Stryker will be readied and equipped for the morning. He readies his own gear and calls it a night. In the morning he arrives early but the rest of the troop had expected that. They head out with the ranger leading the way and Marcus riding abreast.

Acanous
2020-03-24, 08:19 AM
Gathering your men, you range out from Swiftpass. It's not rough country, but it IS wild. Dwellings fade into the distance as you ride, and it's amazing how quickly civilization seems to fall away. Except the men with you. You are the law, the arm of order.
You ride into the afternoon, pacing your horses, occasionally walking them. You stop for supper, cooking up a simple meal of roasted beans and grain, some of which the horses eat.
When you get going again, Robert points out the direction of the last attack, and the one before it.
"We can continue down the river, and check the places they've been, setting up an ambush with our bows on the bank, or we can try to head off whatever party as they close in our farmland. Which would you have us do, milord?"

Having the men look for the orc raiding party can save lives, stopping them before they capture or kill anyone else, but if you miss them... they could get away.
This option will be able to bring your horses into play, if you find them.

Setting up on the bank, you are guaranteed to run into the orcs, but some of the people in your lands will suffer their brutality.
this option you'll be literally shooting fish in a barrel. The orcs may have ranged weapons to shoot back, and you're going to have to worry about hitting the human captives, but you'll be able to keep abreast of them, laying into the orcs until you're out of ammo.

Cavir
2020-03-24, 05:43 PM
Marcus didn't hesitate. "We need to find the orcs before they strike again. We can spread out riding abreast while keeping within sight of each other. That will make it harder for the orcs to slip past us."

The prince ensures the troop is close enough to hear him without shouting. "Those with a keener eye keep to the flanks. If you see our quarry or are engaged, defensively fall back to the group so we can fight as one. I want us all to make it home. Those not engaged circle around the enemy. Alright, head out." He motions for Robert to guide the troop from the center while Marcus pays mind to the men out to either flank, watching that none get lost and to notice their reaction if the see something.

Acanous
2020-03-25, 04:43 PM
[roll0] Spot (Left flank)
[roll1] Spot (Right flank)
[roll2] Track (Robert)
[roll3]
[roll4]

As you travel, Robert and your outriders spot signs of the Orc raiding party almost immediately. It's further south than you'd have thought- they aren't sticking as close to the river as you'd imagine.
Too bad for them, as you find yourself positioned between the Orcs and the river, cutting off their easiest avenue of escape. You're sure you'll be able to ride them down within the hour, although the troops' best guess is somewhere between 15 and 30 orcs will be in the band. Men on horse easily best orcs on foot, but if you want to use any special tactics, now's the time.

Cavir
2020-03-25, 06:44 PM
"Excellent! We'll approach quietly. Once we are close enough we'll charge. Robert, take two men with you and hit them from the left side right after we hit them. That will also cut off their escape back home. Archers, once we start charging let your arrows fly. The rest of you ride to either side of me and we'll cut right through them!" Marcus draws his sword and raises it up, then flicks his wrist to point onward to the enemy.

This is actually my first time with mounted combat. I don't know if you make maps or not, I'll see!

Acanous
2020-03-27, 08:52 PM
I CAN make maps, but for this I don't think it's necessary. You're mounted, your men will want open terrain. Distance is all that matters, really.
Separating into two groups, you work out a pincer movement on the orcs. Which is good, as your closer count is *Thirty Seven* of the beasts. Some are occupied leading a small chain of slaves, bound by rope. They seem to be heading back towards the river.
Give me a Hide roll.

Orc Spot [roll0]

There's a pretty huge penalty due to distance, so let me know *Before* you roll how close you'd like to be before engaging.
Orc group initiative (Because screw doing this one at a time) [roll1]

Cavir
2020-03-27, 09:22 PM
As the patrol moves forward Marcus studies the terrain, looking for the best place. Ideal to hit them out in the open... a grassy area or small brush... better yet where the attack can be launched from cover and the orcs can't quickly get back to their previous cover. He adjusts their pace to time with getting into position in time.

You mean you don't want to track individual initiatives for 49 NPCs including all the tie breakers? :smalltongue:

The prime place would be launching an attack from a wood line into open field. Since they are coming towards us (thought they were still headed west before) we have the luxury of finding that close by and waiting in ambush. Ideally attack at 20yds. If we are seen earlier, begin the attack. Stable-hand stays back. Hopefully Robert has a better Hide skill.
Initiative [roll0]
Hide [roll1]

Acanous
2020-03-29, 04:19 AM
So the orcs will see you at... 160 feet out. That's actually pretty damn far. No surprise round, but you DO have the initiative. They're basic orcs, and you've got 11 mounted people plus you. Please post action with all relevant rolls- your 10 people are Warrior NPCs at lv 1, plus your lv 1 ranger
You find a good spot with rolling plains and low grass, but sadly nowhere to hide. You believe it's as good a place as you'll get.

Cavir
2020-03-29, 10:01 AM
Marcus sees the patrol has been spotted. "They already have prisoners. After the charge, keep them protected. Let's go!"

All charge. Robert will use Ride to get his horse to attack too. Marcus will use Steel Wind for his attack.

Taking things from the DMG as a base. Let me know of changes and adjust rolls as needed in this post. I'll keep a file with the final info.

We all have heavy warhorses with military saddles (+2 ride). Any barding? Any NPCs have ranks in Ride?

Robert, Ranger 1
STR 14 DEX 15 CON 13 INT 10 WIS 12 CHA 8
Favored Enemy?
+6 attack (+1 BAB, +2 ST, Horseback, +2 Charge)
Studded leather armor, longsword, short sword, longbow, quiver with 20 arrows
Ranks in Ride?

Warrior 1
STR 14 DEX 15 CON 13 INT 10 WIS 12 CHA 8
+6 attack (+1 BAB, +2 ST, +1 Horseback, +2 Charge)
Longsword
At least 2 with bow (short/long?)
Armor?
Shields? (rolls will assume Yes for now)

Marcus - Steel Wind
A1) [roll0] damage: [roll1] (+1 BAB, +2 ST, +1 Horseback, +2 Charge)
A2) [roll2] damage: [roll3]

Robert
Ride checks
- Steer with knees (DC 5, fail=-1 damage for using one hand to attack) [roll4] (+2 saddle, +2 dex, -1 armor) + Ride ranks
- Fight with Warhorse (DC 10, fail=he loses his attack) [roll5] (+2 saddle, +2 dex, -1 armor) + Ride ranks
Horse attack: [roll6] damage: [roll7] (+2 Charge)
Robert: [roll8] damage: [roll9] (+1 BAB, +2 ST, +1 Horseback, +2 Charge) (2-handed)

Warriors
[roll10] damage: [roll11] (+1 BAB, +2 ST, +1 Horseback, +2 Charge)
[roll12] damage: [roll13]
[roll14] damage: [roll15]
[roll16] damage: [roll17]
[roll18] damage: [roll19]
[roll20] damage: [roll21]
[roll22] damage: [roll23]
[roll24] damage: [roll25]
[roll26] damage: [roll27]
[roll28] damage: [roll29]