PDA

View Full Version : Movies Making Conan the Barbarian

Palanan
2020-03-21, 10:28 PM
I just re-watched the first Conan movie, and noticed in the credits that it was filmed entirely on location in Spain, which I'd never realized before.

So now I want to know more about how the movie was made. Was there ever a "making of" book about Conan the Barbarian? I've tried searching on Amazon, but all I can find are Conan comics and Robert Howard anthologies. Does such a title exist?

Mechalich
2020-03-21, 11:11 PM
I just re-watched the first Conan movie, and noticed in the credits that it was filmed entirely on location in Spain, which I'd never realized before.

So now I want to know more about how the movie was made. Was there ever a "making of" book about Conan the Barbarian? I've tried searching on Amazon, but all I can find are Conan comics and Robert Howard anthologies. Does such a title exist?

Those Conan films, and a number of other spectacles of the 1980s including the David Lynch Dune film, Flash Gordon, and the Sam Rami Evil Dead movies, were all produced by the film company of Italian magnate Dino de Laurentiis, who died in 2010. Amazon reveals a 2004 biography of the man that might have some information regarding the production of films by his company and his overall ethos. My general understanding is that Laurentiis' various film companies (he had several over an extremely lengthy career) often filmed in Europe as a cost-reduction measure because he made a lot of films on the cheap using relatively unknown actors.

Kyberwulf
2020-03-22, 12:37 PM
I think on the DVD there was. Also look up Oliver Harper on youtube