PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Medusa (Gorgon) Blood Sorcerer Origin

werescythe
2020-03-22, 01:14 AM
So one of my favorite creatures in greek mythology, which for some reason WotC decided were Medusas (Medusa was a gorgon, along with her sisters, she isn't the name of the species), anyway, it is because of this that I have always wanted to play something like a gorgon in my games, including DnD 5e.

While I have considered using it as a race, the ability to petrify creatures at a low level seems pretty iffy and the few times I have seen someone offer a balanced variant, it left me wanting.

After some consideration, I thought it would be better as a subclass and as a fan of sorcerers, I decided to try to build it around that.

Now here is a gdoc, showing what I have created: Medusa Blood (Sorcerer Origin) (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WWNQwqVwZTEtxHpY13Cyhj_QoIBQEaPHH43UJ6mGcRs/edit?usp=sharing).

I would love to hear some constructive feedback. Thank you. :smallsmile:

Old Harry MTX
2020-03-22, 04:15 AM
I like it.
The only thing I suggest is to introduce a sort of polimorph a certain number of times per day that change your body in a gorgon like shape and gives you the various benefits, like the barbarian rage. In that way you limit a bit the power of the various features, but maintaining the social presence. Then, at a certain level, you can choose to remain in a certain form whenever you want.

werescythe
2020-03-22, 03:46 PM
I like it.
The only thing I suggest is to introduce a sort of polimorph a certain number of times per day that change your body in a gorgon like shape and gives you the various benefits, like the barbarian rage. In that way you limit a bit the power of the various features, but maintaining the social presence. Then, at a certain level, you can choose to remain in a certain form whenever you want.

What do you mean exactly? The class already gets serpentine hair, scales and a petrifying gaze.

If you are thinking about a serpentine tail as a part of the lower half of the body, it should be noted that gorgons in the original Greek myths didn't have them and that the lamia/naga details were a later addition (mostly from Clash of the Titans).

Old Harry MTX
2020-03-23, 02:26 AM
What do you mean exactly? The class already gets serpentine hair, scales and a petrifying gaze.

If you are thinking about a serpentine tail as a part of the lower half of the body, it should be noted that gorgons in the original Greek myths didn't have them and that the lamia/naga details were a later addition (mostly from Clash of the Titans).

Nono, i mean exactly the serpentine hair, scales and petrifying gaze, just not permanent. IMHO is better if you can polymorph that traits a certain times per day and gain temporary benefits, such as the barbarian rage.

mictrepanier
2020-03-23, 12:42 PM
I would swap the 6th level ability for a lower petrification (hold person effect)

Holding Gaze

At 6th level, if you didn’t already have the hold person spell in your spell list, you may now add it to your spell list. You can’t swap it out for any other spells. As usual, When you cast this spell using
a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 2nd. The creatures must be within 30 feet of each other when you target them. You may substitute one or more sorcery point for any spell slot increment, if you can already cast the spell at this given level.
Ex: 1 sorcery point to affect 2 creatures, 2 for 3, etc.

werescythe
2020-03-31, 07:41 PM
I would swap the 6th level ability for a lower petrification (hold person effect)

Holding Gaze

At 6th level, if you didn’t already have the hold person spell in your spell list, you may now add it to your spell list. You can’t swap it out for any other spells. As usual, When you cast this spell using
a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 2nd. The creatures must be within 30 feet of each other when you target them. You may substitute one or more sorcery point for any spell slot increment, if you can already cast the spell at this given level.
Ex: 1 sorcery point to affect 2 creatures, 2 for 3, etc.

So, don't get me wrong, I like the idea, but there are a few things I would like to bring up.

1) I'm not sure being able to substitute sorcery points just to bump up a spell is really worth it (that's just me), I think some other spice should be added in addition to that.
2) Not only does this mean that we lose the serpentine hair, but the following two abilities would need to be changed.

With this information provided, are there any suggestions you would like to offer to address this?

Garfunion
2020-03-31, 10:33 PM
I’ve made some significant changes to your archetype that I think might make it better for you. However this is just my opinion on how I would design it.

Crown of Serpents
Something begins to wriggle and writhe across your scalp, as a swarm of serpents begin to spawn from your skull. Or your hair take on the animated snake like appearance. While fearsome these snakes seem to mean you no ill will.
At 1st level, you gain the following benefits;
•You have advantage on Intimidation (Charisma) skills when trying to intimidate a character within 30ft that you can see. You don’t gain advantage if the creature can’t see you.
•You learn the thorn whip cantrip, it doesn’t go against your number of sorcerer cantrip known and it is a sorcerer spell for you. The cantrip takes on a serpent like appearance originating from one or more of serpents within your hair. When you cast this cantrip, you can ignore the material component cost.

Serpentine Scales
Your skin turns into scales like those of a snake. At 1st level, when you are not wearing armor, your AC is 13 + your Dexterity Modifier. Additionally you gain immunity to the poison condition and have resistance to poison damage.

Toxic Strands
At 6th level, the serpentine strands rooted to your scalp, have grown strong enough to deliver a poisonous attack.
Your thorn whip cantrip now deals extra poison damage equal to half your sorcerer level. If a creature takes this poison damage, you can spend 1 sorcery point to have the creature become poisoned until the start of your next turn.

Petrifying Gaze
The blood of your ancestor flows through your veins and now you possess the same petrifying gaze that she had. You can feel her magic coursing through your pupils.
At 14th level, you learn the Flesh to Stone spell. This spell becomes a sorcerer spell for you and it does not go against your number of spells known. When you cast this spell you may ignore the material component cost. Additionally if a creature succeeds on its saving throw against this spell at any time, you may immediately spend 3 sorcerer points to have the creature reroll the save, they must take the second roll. You can only use this feature once per turn per creature affected by this spell.

Mass Petrification
At 18th level, you gain the ability to cast your Flesh to Stone spell on multiple creatures. When you cast this spell you may choose an additional number of creatures within range equal to your charisma modifier. Additionally you have advantage on concentration checks while maintaining concentration on this spell. If you were to fail a concentration check to maintain this spell, you may spend 5 sorcery points to re-roll the check.

werescythe
2020-04-04, 08:07 PM
I do like some of the suggestions. Especially the idea of using thorn whip.

However for the mass petrification, I'm not sure giving advantage and spending sorcery points for concentration is a good idea. Though I did change it so the sorcerer can reroll their concentration check using 5 sorcery points if they fail, however they must keep the second result.

Garfunion
2020-04-04, 10:08 PM
However for the mass petrification, I'm not sure giving advantage and spending sorcery points for concentration is a good idea. Though I did change it so the sorcerer can reroll their concentration check using 5 sorcery points if they fail, however they must keep the second result.
You are probably right. The advantages on concentration checks may be a bit too much, especially if you can spend 5 sorcery points to re-roll.

Garfunion
2020-04-04, 11:58 PM
Toxic Strands
The serpentine strands rooted to your scalp, have grown strong enough to fight for you.
At 6th level, you are able to make a ranged melee attack using one of the serpentine stands attached to your head. Your Thorn Whip cantrip now deals extra poison damage equal to half your sorcerer level. If a creature takes this poison damage, you can spend 1 sorcery point to have the creature become poisoned until the start of your next turn.

There’s no need to give them a ranged melee attack. Thorn whip cantrip is a melee attack with a 30ft reach.

Petrifying Gaze
The blood of your ancestor flows through your veins and now you possess the same petrifying gaze that she had. You can feel her magic coursing through your pupils.
At 14th level, if you didn’t already have the Flesh to Stone spell in your spell list, you may now add it to your spell list. You can’t swap it out for any other spells. When a creature makes a save against your Flesh to Stone spell, you may spend 3 Sorcery Points to make them reroll the result, they must take the second roll. In order to spend the Sorcery Points for this effect, you must have line of sight with the affected creature. You can only do this effect once per turn.

•There is no way a 14th level sorcerer would have the Flesh to Stone spell “normally”, not even with multiclassing.
•You don’t have to worry about them swapping the spell out, seeing as how most bonus spells do not give you the option to swap it out. It would say that you can swap it out.
•I believe the way I worded this feature in my version it’s a bit easier to manage and it incorporates the future mass petrification feature.
•The spell already requires you to see the target in order to cast a spell.

Mass Petrification
At 18th level, you gain the ability of casting the spell on multiple creatures, if you do you can concentrate on it as if it were affecting one individual. The maximum number of creatures affected this way is equal to your Charisma modifier. If you cast Flesh to Stone and exceed the maximum number of creatures petrified, then you lose concentration on the oldest creature petrified.
If you fail your concentration check, you may spend 5 Sorcery Points to reroll the check, however you must take the second roll.

It is already known that most casters that have a concentration spell that affect multiple targets can maintain the concentration spell on all the targets. Similarly the twin metamagic can affect multiple targets in the same way that you want this feature to do. There is no need to reiterate.
Again I still believe the way I worded my version is a lot simpler to understand. Just remove the advantage part.

Mass Petrification
At 18th level, you gain the ability to cast your Flesh to Stone spell on multiple creatures. When you cast this spell you may choose an additional number of creatures within range equal to your charisma modifier. If you were to fail a concentration check to maintain this spell, you may spend 5 sorcery points to re-roll the check.

werescythe
2020-04-05, 02:53 PM
There’s no need to give them a ranged melee attack. Thorn whip cantrip is a melee attack with a 30ft reach.

Yeah, which is why I really like it being used. :smallsmile:

•There is no way a 14th level sorcerer would have the Flesh to Stone spell “normally”, not even with multiclassing.
•You don’t have to worry about them swapping the spell out, seeing as how most bonus spells do not give you the option to swap it out. It would say that you can swap it out.
•I believe the way I worded this feature in my version it’s a bit easier to manage and it incorporates the future mass petrification feature.

There actually is a UA (which may or may not come up when they release the next utility book) that expands upon the base classes in the PHB. One of the additions is the expansion of the sorcerer spell list which includes Flesh to Stone, which is why I included this.