PDA

View Full Version : Player Help First time half orc barbarian, need help with feat choice level 3-11

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-03-22, 03:05 AM
Hello guys :)

I am going to play a barbarian for the first time.

I am not sure if I want 17 or 16 str(in other words, do I want a half feat or not).

I am planning of taking GWM and using a great axe(so no need for PAM).

So, is there any half feat that you think is good enough or should I just go with +2 str at level 8 and 12 charisma or wisdom at character creation?

Teaguethebean
2020-03-22, 03:17 AM
If your using a great axe I suggest Orcish fury. It is a half feat that lasts you add another damage dice to a hit so when you crit instead of 3d12 through your racial feature you can do 5d12 for a simply ruthless attack.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-03-22, 03:23 AM
If your using a great axe I suggest Orcish fury. It is a half feat that lasts you add another damage dice to a hit so when you crit instead of 3d12 through your racial feature you can do 5d12 for a simply ruthless attack.

I looked at it, I have to say I didn't consider using it with a crit.

I think I may go with it.

It is just that if I won't choose the stats now I will be locked by my inner min-maxer.

Teaguethebean
2020-03-22, 03:27 AM
I looked at it, I have to say I didn't consider using it with a crit.

I think I may go with it.

It is just that if I won't choose the stats now I will be locked by my inner min-maxer.
I totally feel that. I am playing a similar character in a monster hunter game and my point buy gave me
Because of custom stronger weapons PAM and GWM weren't really worth it so I have taken Orcish fury and plan to get Resilient wisdom later on.

CTurbo
2020-03-22, 03:51 AM
What kind of Barb? I feel like Res(Wis) is a great feat for Barbs.

Orcish Fury is a good feat though so starting Str 17 is not a bad idea if you want to grab it. Just don't skimp on the Wis too much.

I'd probably start 17 Str, 14 Dex, Con, 8 Int, 13 Wis, 8 Cha and plan on taking Orcish Fury, Res(Wis), and GWM with your first 3 choices in any order.
Alternatively, you could start 16 Str, 14 Dex, 16 Con, 8 Int, 12 Wis, 8 Cha and take GWM, +2 Str, and some other feat that may interest you.

I also like Ritual Caster on Barbs to give them things to do outside of combat.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-03-22, 05:41 AM
What kind of Barb? I feel like Res(Wis) is a great feat for Barbs.

Orcish Fury is a good feat though so starting Str 17 is not a bad idea if you want to grab it. Just don't skimp on the Wis too much.

I'd probably start 17 Str, 14 Dex, Con, 8 Int, 13 Wis, 8 Cha and plan on taking Orcish Fury, Res(Wis), and GWM with your first 3 choices in any order.
Alternatively, you could start 16 Str, 14 Dex, 16 Con, 8 Int, 12 Wis, 8 Cha and take GWM, +2 Str, and some other feat that may interest you.

I also like Ritual Caster on Barbs to give them things to do outside of combat.

I am taking Zealot, I am not sure we will get to level 12 for 3ed ASI.
I will get a save reroll(per rage) and the Paladin will keep my save high(didn't know until now we have a paly).

da newt
2020-03-22, 08:34 AM
WIS saves are the Barbarian's Achilles Heal.

I also prefer PAM to GWM, but that's mostly because I hate how swingy GWM makes your damage output and you only get the one attack until 5, and then max out at just two - a round wasted by misses feels worse than an occasional massive crit feels great (for me). I'm sure someone can do the math to figure out which is actually optimized, but i prefer PAM w/ shield and spear and a fighter dip for dueling FS - this also gets you OP attacks much more frequently.

For comparison lvl 5 w/ 18 ST:
GWM: 2 attacks w/ -5 to hit for d12+2 rage+4 ST+10 each = 44 ish dpr
PAM: 2 attacks d6+2rage+2DFS+4ST and BA attack d4+2range+2DSF+4ST = 32 ish dpr but with +5 more to hit, +2 AC, and frequent OP attacks.

Also for GWM you're probably going to be swinging RECKLESS all the time, so you'll be getting hit almost every time they attack you.

It's probably pretty equal optimization wise - and more a matter of personal preference.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-03-22, 09:51 AM
WIS saves are the Barbarian's Achilles Heal.

I also prefer PAM to GWM, but that's mostly because I hate how swingy GWM makes your damage output and you only get the one attack until 5, and then max out at just two - a round wasted by misses feels worse than an occasional massive crit feels great (for me). I'm sure someone can do the math to figure out which is actually optimized, but i prefer PAM w/ shield and spear and a fighter dip for dueling FS - this also gets you OP attacks much more frequently.

For comparison lvl 5 w/ 18 ST:
GWM: 2 attacks w/ -5 to hit for d12+2 rage+4 ST+10 each = 44 ish dpr
PAM: 2 attacks d6+2rage+2DFS+4ST and BA attack d4+2range+2DSF+4ST = 32 ish dpr but with +5 more to hit, +2 AC, and frequent OP attacks.

Also for GWM you're probably going to be swinging RECKLESS all the time, so you'll be getting hit almost every time they attack you.

It's probably pretty equal optimization wise - and more a matter of personal preference.
Well, the DM use flanking rules so I will not reckless attack every turn or will not get any con from it.

Pam and shield is nice but I am aiming to something else.

Keravath
2020-03-23, 01:48 PM
I totally feel that. I am playing a similar character in a monster hunter game and my point buy gave me
Because of custom stronger weapons PAM and GWM weren't really worth it so I have taken Orcish fury and plan to get Resilient wisdom later on.

I'd be more tempted by ..

.. it drops your wisdom save by 1 while increasing your AC, initiative and dex save by 1 for the entire life of the character. Barbs wear medium armor so the +2 from dex is very useful. You still need to take resilient wisdom since it is always a barbarian's weak spot but the difference is only +1.

Orcish fury is probably a decent and flavorful half feat but the ability usage is 1/SR so it won't get a lot of use. On the other hand, combining barbarian with at least 3 levels of champion fighter will increase the odds of a critical hit when this can be used most effectively.

e.g. Orcish Fury at level 4, +2 str or resilient wis at level 8, the other at level 12 if the game goes that far ... ooops forgot GWM. Orcish fury at 4 and GWM at 8, resilient wis or +2 str at 12?

Segev
2020-03-23, 02:05 PM
The half-orc zealot Barbarian in my game is really loving her Sentinel feat. It locks down enemies very well, keeping them adjacent to her and not attacking others in the party.

Teaguethebean
2020-03-24, 11:01 AM
I'd be more tempted by ..

.. it drops your wisdom save by 1 while increasing your AC, initiative and dex save by 1 for the entire life of the character. Barbs wear medium armor so the +2 from dex is very useful. You still need to take resilient wisdom since it is always a barbarian's weak spot but the difference is only +1.

Orcish fury is probably a decent and flavorful half feat but the ability usage is 1/SR so it won't get a lot of use. On the other hand, combining barbarian with at least 3 levels of champion fighter will increase the odds of a critical hit when this can be used most effectively.

e.g. Orcish Fury at level 4, +2 str or resilient wis at level 8, the other at level 12 if the game goes that far ... ooops forgot GWM. Orcish fury at 4 and GWM at 8, resilient wis or +2 str at 12?

With the DM using flanking I will agree, I put my builds dex at 12 because AC usually tends to be meh on a barbarian and I was running off the assumption that he would be reckless attacking. But with new information I would definitely take 14 dex.