PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping while wearing a Shield

Brennan1612
2020-03-22, 02:23 PM
Are there any penalties associated with sleeping while wearing a shield, in my case a heavy steel shield?

Would it matter if the shield has the animated quality?

Hiro Quester
2020-03-22, 02:24 PM
IMHO you are not exactly "wearing" an animated shield. It just hovers around you, or above you as you sleep.

DeTess
2020-03-22, 02:37 PM
I mean, what exactly do you mean with 'wearing a shield'? While sleeping, you can't hold it in a defensive posture, so I wouldn't allow someone to gain the benefits of one while sleeping. An animated shield I might allow to give that bonus though.

OrbanSirgen
2020-03-23, 05:31 AM
While sleeping, a shield is either held or fell out of the wielder's hand... It is not worn like armor, and therefore the wielder will not take any of the penalties associated with wearing armor while sleeping...

Kurald Galain
2020-03-23, 06:06 AM
I mean, what exactly do you mean with 'wearing a shield'?

While sleeping, a shield is either held or fell out of the wielder's hand...
As described in the "armor and shields" section, a shield is strapped to your arm, not just held in your hand.

I can easily imagine sleeping with something strapped to your arm; it may be uncomfortable but not moreso than sleeping on hard ground, or in the cold, or with a heavily-snoring dwarf nearby. So in my opinion you can do this, but the rules do not specify either way.

The Insanity
2020-03-23, 06:23 AM
You only get penalties (in the form of being fatigued afterwards) when sleeping in medium and heavy armor. Shields aren"t armor.