PDA

View Full Version : Grand Tour color question

tomandtish
2020-03-22, 10:43 PM
Howdy. I've been re-watching the Grand Tour on Amazon Prime, and I have to ask...

In both Season 1 Episode three (the Aston), and in Season 3 episode 11 (the BMW), there's an argument over whether they are orange or brown (both cars have orange as part of the name).

I've shown those scenes to 8 other people (without sound so no one knows what is being said) and the universal answer is that they are red. I've done this on multiple screens as well.

Is this supposed to be a joke? I can see calling it orange because that's part of the name, but I've never seen them look brown at all.

factotum
2020-03-23, 02:00 AM
Little factoid that may have relevance here: brown and orange are not actually distinct colours--they're different hues of the *same* colour (e.g. brown is just dark orange). If you put an appropriately coloured square on a black background it will appear orange, but on a white background the same shade will appear brown due to the contrast.

As for the question asked, I don't actually remember the scenes in question even though I've watched the Grand Tour.

TeChameleon
2020-03-23, 03:25 AM
I believe it is supposed to be a bit of a joke- Jeremy and Richard have been teasing James May about him having a thing for brown cars for decades now, with brown being a sort of shorthand for 'boring', I think. Don't know if there's anything more to it than that. Don't really think so, though.

Yora
2020-03-23, 04:55 AM
There is an interesting video about the color brown on youtube. Should be easy enough to find. It is indeed dark orange. At some point in the middle, it becomes entirely subjective.

Though I've not seen it cause anywhere near as much discussion as whether certain shades are blue or green. :smallyuk:

(Also: "It's not pink, it's a lightish red.")

Rodin
2020-03-23, 07:32 AM
Let's not forget that two people can look at a picture of a dress and see it as alternately blue/black or white/gold.

Our perception of reality varies much more than we believe.

tomandtish
2020-03-23, 12:37 PM
Fair enough. Thanks for the answers. I was just wondering if there was a joke I was missing, since they both are CLEARLY red to me.. :smalltongue:

Kantaki
2020-03-23, 12:39 PM
(Also: "It's not pink, it's a lightish red.")

Well, it is. That's why it was the boy-colour originally.:smalltongue: