PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sorcerer: Erinyes Bloodline Feedback

Garfunion
2020-03-23, 06:48 AM
I used an amalgamation of Greek lore and 5e d&d lore to create this sorcerer archetype.

Erinyes Bloodline
When a person is betrayed so badly, the bile of that betrayal can manifest into a powerful curse, allowing the victim to seek vengeance. This vengeance will possess the person turning them into a creature know as an Erinyes. You or an ancestor was once possessed by an Erinyes giving you access to some of their vengeful gifts.

Infernal Magic
Your link to the Erinyes allows you to learn spells normally associated with the paladin class. When your Spellcasting feature lets you learn a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher, you can choose the new spell from the paladin spell list or the sorcerer spell list. The paladin spell must be from the evocation or adjuration schools. You must otherwise obey all the restrictions for selecting the spell, and it becomes a sorcerer spell for you.
In addition, you learn the hellish rebuke spell. It is a sorcerer spell for you, but it doesn't count against your number of sorcerer spells known.

Demon Skin
Starting at 1st level, your skin takes on a fiendish appearance. You gain an AC equal to 13 + Constitution modifier. Additionally your hit point maximum increases by 1 and increases by 1 whenever you gain a level in this class.

Fiendish Claws
Also at 1st level, your fingernails grow into points and become black allowing you to make a vicious unarmed strike. When you perform an unarmed strike, you may use your charisma modifier instead of your strength modifier for the attack and damage rolls. Additionally your unarmed strikes now do 1d4 slashing damage.

Vile Touch
Starting at 6th level, you gain immunity to poison damage and the poison condition. Additionally when a creature within 5ft of you takes damage from one of your sorcerer spells, that creature takes extra poison damage equal to your sorcerer level. This damage can only be dealt once per turn.

Fiends Wings
Starting at 14th level, you can use a bonus action to manifest a pair of black tattered feathery wings from your back. While the wings are present, you have a flying speed of 30 feet. The wings last until you're incapacitated, you die, or you dismiss them as a bonus action.

Vengeful Flames
Starting at 18th level, you may cast your hellish rebuke spell at-will without spending a spell slot. When casting it this way, you cast it as a 3rd level spell.

Garfunion
2020-03-31, 09:27 PM
I’ve made some changes to archetype that I hope streamlines it a bit more.

Lvl45DM!
2020-03-31, 09:48 PM
Maybe just call it the Furies Bloodline. I was pretty confused at first.

Deceptive attack has all the issues of Hexblade as a lvl 1 Dip. Feels like this is jsut gonna lead to an unbalanced Sorcadin build. Putting a limit on uses would make it more palatable for me.

Thematically its more of a tank class which feels weird to me. More HP AC damage resistance. Rather than boosting HP i might give them natural attacks like claws. Invoke Fury is all defensive which has nothing to do with vengeance. Dunno what to do instead, but if I wanted to play a Fury id want some more oomph

So you can summon the wings and just have them forever? I mean maybe when you sleep you lose them but theres no duration. Im just wondering when you would ever dismiss them.

Garfunion
2020-03-31, 10:50 PM
Maybe just call it the Furies Bloodline. I was pretty confused at first.
I wanted a cooler sounding name, to me. The Erinyes is also an in game fiend monster.

Deceptive attack has all the issues of Hexblade as a lvl 1 Dip. Feels like this is jsut gonna lead to an unbalanced Sorcadin build. Putting a limit on uses would make it more palatable for me.
I’ll probably limit it to light melee weapons and unarmed strike, because I really want to see a sorcerer punch someone with a smite spell.

Thematically its more of a tank class which feels weird to me. More HP AC damage resistance. Rather than boosting HP i might give them natural attacks like claws. Invoke Fury is all defensive which has nothing to do with vengeance. Dunno what to do instead, but if I wanted to play a Fury id want some more oomph
The point of this archetype is to make it a melee-ish archetype for the sorcerer, which has none right now.
However I’m going to be changing this feature anyway.

So you can summon the wings and just have them forever? I mean maybe when you sleep you lose them but theres no duration. Im just wondering when you would ever dismiss them.
I pretty much copied and paste this feature from the divine soul archetype.

Garfunion
2020-04-02, 04:44 PM
Made some significant changes to the archetype.

Lvl45DM!
2020-04-02, 09:28 PM
Made some significant changes to the archetype.

I like it! One suggestion, if you like poison damage thematically, maybe let them change hellish rebuke to poison damage at 18th level?

Garfunion
2020-04-02, 09:48 PM
I like it! One suggestion, if you like poison damage thematically, maybe let them change hellish rebuke to poison damage at 18th level?

Erinyes monster in the MM deals extra poison damage. It is just a side feature for the archetype. A way to blend the 5e d&d monster and greek myth.