PDA

View Full Version : I need help (not urgent)

Gamerawsome101
2020-03-23, 10:09 AM
I have an idea for a villain in a campaign who is a marid bound to the material plane by a wizard but not in service to anyone who thinks if he can't go to the plane of water then he will make the material plane the water plane

stoutstien
2020-03-23, 10:10 AM
I have an idea for a villain in a campaign who is a marid bound to the material plane by a wizard but not in service to anyone who thinks if he can't go to the plane of water then he will make the material plane the water plane

What exactly is your question?

Gamerawsome101
2020-03-23, 10:12 AM
Um like spells and items for him

Gamerawsome101
2020-03-23, 10:15 AM
He will flood the world is my idea

stoutstien
2020-03-23, 10:19 AM
Um like spells and items for him
Length of campaign or story arc involving this npc.

Approximate level range

Size of party

Setting options

Is it going to have the variant genie powers. *this could work well as the genie can't cast The wishes themselves so he/sge might try to trick somebody else and doing it for them.*

Is it seeking an item to fulfill this purpose?

So far you have a NPC with a goal.

Segev
2020-03-23, 10:23 AM
If you want to make a normally-not-that-impressive (but still fun) magic item a macguffin for the campaign, the Marid is trying to get ahold of a Decanter of Endless Water. His plan is to literally just pour enough water out of it to flood the world.

Maybe he also has some rituals in mind, or the like, to make it more effective. Or maybe he's more a local threat, and his plan, while futile for flooding the world, will still devastate the villages in the valleys he's planning to start with.

Gamerawsome101
2020-03-23, 01:48 PM
Length of campaign or story arc involving this npc.

Approximate level range

Size of party

Setting options

Is it going to have the variant genie powers. *this could work well as the genie can't cast The wishes themselves so he/sge might try to trick somebody else and doing it for them.*

Is it seeking an item to fulfill this purpose?

So far you have a NPC with a goal.

Level range 15
Size of party 3
No variant powers
Items are helpful and he do some flooding but not all with his magic

Gamerawsome101
2020-03-23, 01:52 PM
If you want to make a normally-not-that-impressive (but still fun) magic item a macguffin for the campaign, the Marid is trying to get ahold of a Decanter of Endless Water. His plan is to literally just pour enough water out of it to flood the world.

Maybe he also has some rituals in mind, or the like, to make it more effective..

I like the idea maybe multiple decanters to flood faster

Keravath
2020-03-23, 02:09 PM
I like the idea maybe multiple decanters to flood faster

Unfortunately, raising the sea level on an earth like world using a decanter of endless water takes a long time. A million decanters operating full time would generate about 10cm of water over the entire surface of the earth in about 8.5 years. (unless I screwed up the math :) ). More realistically, the Marid could be trying to open an enormous gate (i.e. kilometers across - maybe a gate etched in the ground that will create an immense geyser as water flows one way from the plane of water to the prime material) to the plane of water to let the water flow through, flooding the area where they live and the surroundings as well as bringing other denizens of the plane of water to the prime material plane. It might take a few years to flood the planet but the area where the Marid lives would be flooded much sooner.

Gamerawsome101
2020-03-23, 03:49 PM
Unfortunately, raising the sea level on an earth like world using a decanter of endless water takes a long time. A million decanters operating full time would generate about 10cm of water over the entire surface of the earth in about 8.5 years. (unless I screwed up the math :) ). More realistically, the Marid could be trying to open an enormous gate (i.e. kilometers across - maybe a gate etched in the ground that will create an immense geyser as water flows one way from the plane of water to the prime material) to the plane of water to let the water flow through, flooding the area where they live and the surroundings as well as bringing other denizens of the plane of water to the prime material plane. It might take a few years to flood the planet but the area where the Marid lives would be flooded much sooner.

I am thinking decanters to flood cities

KorvinStarmast
2020-03-23, 03:53 PM
He will flood the world is my idea
1. Watch the film Strange Brew
2. Get a very large lake, or ocean, to be filled with beer.
3. Provide the genii with a powrful thirst.

stoutstien
2020-03-23, 04:16 PM
Level range 15
Size of party 3
No variant powers
Items are helpful and he do some flooding but not all with his magic

How big is the world he is trying to flood? If he really wants to do this it going have to be bigger than Captain chaos leaving on the garden hose.

Anymage
2020-03-23, 04:43 PM
At fifteenth level the party wizards/clerics have had Banishment for potentially eight levels now. This potentially global threat can be sent home with a fourth level spell, and he'd probably be more than happy to go back. I know it's a PITA to have to look through an ever broader list of spells to see if any of them invalidate your adventure, but that's how D&D magic works.

Magic items and most spells aren't really designed for the sort of regional scale catastrophes that underline the sort of threats you call out high level heroes for, and that's okay. Other people have pointed out how big a planet is (never mind the literal infinity of the prime material plane), and you don't need to limit yourself to only published items. After all, new books contain new items to do whatever instead of limiting themselves to only the DMG. You're better off using published material for things that you give to your players or use against them - published stuff is likely better playtested than something you just made up - but it's totally cool if you don't stat out the ritual the marid is using to sink the capital city beneath the waves so he can enjoy all the material plane goodies he's come to like while in watery comfort. Just say that it exists and needs to be stopped instead of having to do rate of flow problems with decanters.

And since you're going into the home stretch for your campaign, this is entirely the time to go big or go home. One marid who wants to flood a region with some macguffin ritual is maybe interesting, but multiple elemental factions all trying to tilt this world and all its goodies into their respective plane is a bigger threat. It explains why the baddie won't just go home when given the chance, and didn't make getting sent home a higher priority than gathering whatever supplies to start a deluge. And helps set up truly global stakes for your endgame.

Segev
2020-03-23, 05:15 PM
Because it's likely something that your players will eventually think to ask: Why doesn't this Marid just move to the ocean?

Sure, he wants more water than that, but moving to the ocean at least makes his surroundings more comfortable for now.

Gamerawsome101
2020-03-23, 06:10 PM
At fifteenth level the party wizards/clerics have had Banishment for potentially eight levels now. This potentially global threat can be sent home with a fourth level spell, and he'd probably be more than happy to go back. I know it's a PITA to have to look through an ever broader list of spells to see if any of them invalidate your adventure, but that's how D&D magic works.

Magic items and most spells aren't really designed for the sort of regional scale catastrophes that underline the sort of threats you call out high level heroes for, and that's okay. Other people have pointed out how big a planet is (never mind the literal infinity of the prime material plane), and you don't need to limit yourself to only published items. After all, new books contain new items to do whatever instead of limiting themselves to only the DMG. You're better off using published material for things that you give to your players or use against them - published stuff is likely better playtested than something you just made up - but it's totally cool if you don't stat out the ritual the marid is using to sink the capital city beneath the waves so he can enjoy all the material plane goodies he's come to like while in watery comfort. Just say that it exists and needs to be stopped instead of having to do rate of flow problems with decanters.

And since you're going into the home stretch for your campaign, this is entirely the time to go big or go home. One marid who wants to flood a region with some macguffin ritual is maybe interesting, but multiple elemental factions all trying to tilt this world and all its goodies into their respective plane is a bigger threat. It explains why the baddie won't just go home when given the chance, and didn't make getting sent home a higher priority than gathering whatever supplies to start a deluge. And helps set up truly global stakes for your endgame.

Because it's likely something that your players will eventually think to ask: Why doesn't this Marid just move to the ocean?

Sure, he wants more water than that, but moving to the ocean at least makes his surroundings more comfortable for now.
He was bound by a wish spell so he cant leave the material plane

Segev
2020-03-23, 10:22 PM
He was bound by a wish spell so he cant leave the material plane

There are oceans on the material plane. That’s all I’m asking: why not live deep in one of those as a stopgap.

Droodicus
2020-03-23, 10:30 PM
There are oceans on the material plane. That’s all I’m asking: why not live deep in one of those as a stopgap.

the salt water makes his skin all pruny and gross

iTreeby
2020-03-23, 11:09 PM
Everyone knows that each kraken has its own ocean, just release a kraken and it will take care of most of the work on its own.

Consider giving the merid something like the book of vile darkness which could easily help the merid swing above its cr, don't forget to assign thematic/useful minor and major properties. Damage resistance to a three of your parties favorite damage types, the spell control weather, double weight, times six eating, other creatures can't take short rests within 300 feet, a quest to free a kraken, and potions don't work within 10 feet of the Artifact.

Flavor it as the merid is continuously having a racous party at all times and is convinced that the reason it's existence is so great is because of its magestic underwater way of life, and it wants to share the party with all the shores (think "under the sea" from the little mermaid) meets a constant bacchanal.

I'd also recommend giving the merid a wand of polymorph so it can "grant wishes"

Gamerawsome101
2020-03-24, 09:19 AM
the salt water makes his skin all pruny and gross

Everyone knows that each kraken has its own ocean, just release a kraken and it will take care of most of the work on its own.

Consider giving the merid something like the book of vile darkness which could easily help the merid swing above its cr, don't forget to assign thematic/useful minor and major properties. Damage resistance to a three of your parties favorite damage types, the spell control weather, double weight, times six eating, other creatures can't take short rests within 300 feet, a quest to free a kraken, and potions don't work within 10 feet of the Artifact.

Flavor it as the merid is continuously having a racous party at all times and is convinced that the reason it's existence is so great is because of its magestic underwater way of life, and it wants to share the party with all the shores (think "under the sea" from the little mermaid) meets a constant bacchanal.

I'd also recommend giving the merid a wand of polymorph so it can "grant wishes"
He could release a kraken
I love the idea that his skin grows but I am going to have a freshwater ocean