PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying RP advice for a Devotion Paladin

saucerhead
2020-03-23, 10:38 AM
Our group just spilt the loot from the last adventure. There were some great items, but as things shook out from dice rolls, my Devotion Paladin got stuck with the Censer of Blood. It is a powerful item from a DM's guild module, but not in keeping with my character. While the item itself isn't evil, one of the effects it does is definitely evil. So the question isn't whether my paladin could use the item. In my opinion he would never use the one specific power of the item that makes it powerful, and therefore would not use it at all. My question is, could he even trade it to another player or NPC knowing what it does?

There was some conversation amongst the party that someone else could use it, but each player chose a different item that my paladin could have used instead. My character wasn't trying to be obstructionist to the others, as there were four major items to choose from at I got the last pick. It's just unfortunate that it is an item I cannot willingly use.

Censer of Blood [attuned]: adv. on tracking(survival), adv. on smelling(perception), auto-locate bleeding creatures inside 60 feet, and can repeatedly summon 1d4 vampiric mists (undead & evil) that obey you, but you take a level of exhaustion each time.

Catullus64
2020-03-23, 10:51 AM
I would destroy it. Not necessarily because of character reasons (you surely understand your character better than I do), but because such an artifact sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Aside from the fact that it inflicts exhaustion, one of the more obnoxious conditions in 5e, summoning evil creatures is always dangerous, even when they obey your commands. You have to be very careful to word your commands in a precise way, lest your "servants" perform that command in the most evil fashion possible. Those dangers only multiply when you entrust the artifact to persons unknown. If there is a mystic or priest character that your paladin deeply trusts, give it to that character. Otherwise, ascertain that destroying it won't release the evil spirits, and then smash it.

And if someone sees you summoning murderous mist spirits, good luck explaining to that person that those evil spirits are perfectly safe and under your control.

saucerhead
2020-03-23, 12:29 PM
Thanks, Catullus64

That was the first thing I said when I ended up with it. It was that comment which prompted some griping about destroying an item that someone else could use. Hence my looking for advice. I do think I got hosed as the other three players all got items they could actually use, but I agree that I don't think my character could even trade it to another player for something else once it ended up in his hands.

I am considering taking it back to my order in Waterdeep, and having them seal it away or destroy it. They may have done this in the past when powerful evil things are found.

follacchioso
2020-03-24, 03:59 AM
The ability to sense bleeding creatures could be put to good use for a devotion paladin - just find people in danger and help them.

Maan
2020-03-24, 05:00 AM
Just use it for the advantage on rolls and for finding bleeding persons: those just make you better at doing what you do.
Otherwise, destroy it: if you are good you won't release something with those powers into the world.

As an aside, as a GM I would find some way to reward a character who lets go a powerful item for RP sake: I trust you GM to do the same.

saucerhead
2020-03-24, 09:33 AM
The ability to sense bleeding creatures could be put to good use for a devotion paladin - just find people in danger and help them.

Thanks for the reply.
This particular ability is interesting, but almost all the bleeding is usually going to be the party.:smallsmile: Would it help me find someone who is hidden? Absolutely. It says you know the exact location of anyone, within 60 feet, that is below their hit point maximum. But is that worth the attunement slot for employing an item with distinctly evil powers?
No thanks. The censer is described as covered in demon and vampire motif.

saucerhead
2020-03-24, 09:55 AM
Just use it for the advantage on rolls and for finding bleeding persons: those just make you better at doing what you do.
Otherwise, destroy it: if you are good you won't release something with those powers into the world.

As an aside, as a GM I would find some way to reward a character who lets go a powerful item for RP sake: I trust you GM to do the same.

Thanks for the reply.
I hope my GM feels the same way, but it was really more of a question whether my character would let anyone else use the item. You know how it goes when another party member doesn't pick the item, but grumbles about it being a waste to destroy it. The answer is pretty obvious to me, but I was seeking opinions or advice. If my character doesn't trust he can use it safely, there is no chance he will give it to anyone else. He will most likely destroy or entomb it.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-03-24, 10:13 AM
I will search for a powerful tample/the major tample of my order if there is one or a powerful figure I trust and ask him to handle this dangerous artifact.

He may tell me that I am pure enough to use it without inflicting evil and he may tell me to leave it before it will hurt my purity.
But I will search for a powerful trusted figure for advice.

Aussiehams
2020-03-24, 03:51 PM
Take it to your order/LG church of choice for them to seal away or destroy.
Hopefully they will reward you with something of a similar power that you can use.

furby076
2020-03-24, 08:28 PM
Thanks, Catullus64

That was the first thing I said when I ended up with it. It was that comment which prompted some griping about destroying an item that someone else could use. Hence my looking for advice. I do think I got hosed as the other three players all got items they could actually use, but I agree that I don't think my character could even trade it to another player for something else once it ended up in his hands.

I am considering taking it back to my order in Waterdeep, and having them seal it away or destroy it. They may have done this in the past when powerful evil things are found.

Well you got the item, your choice. If your party wants to keep it so bad, have them trade you. While you guys made it rolls, in game it was probably "ill take this, you take that, great"

Lastly, unless you are worried the item will possess you or everytime you use it a good angel dies, go on and use it. Remember the movie Lethal Weapon? They find the stacks of drug money. Murtaw grabs one pack looking at it "50k, this money could put my kids through college". Rigs responds "so keep it". Murtaw says "i cant, its drug money". Rigs says "yea? So put it to good use". Unless an item has some property (intellect, willpower, effect) that will cause evil ACTIONS to happen, then who cares. Use the thing to serve good. What better way to spit in the face of evil than to turn it's weapons against it? That item is no more evil then your paladins sword