PDA

View Full Version : Optimization 25,000 GP+ Shopping spree. Suggestions?

Odessa333
2020-03-23, 09:25 PM
Hi all!

Simple thing, our characters were given a rather large sum of gold, and to go nuts. We're using the 'sane magic item' list from these very forums (link below) and we will get a discount on most goods (25% for most items, not all by GM permission) on top of that.

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?424243-Sane-Magic-Item-Prices

I'm a Bard (lore) 6, Warlock 1 (hexblade) who has been doing the 'gish' thing, using greenflame blade primarily. My only magic item is a ring of mind shielding; it takes up an attunement slot and I cannot remove it for reasons of plot.

All that said... what to buy? I mean, I could buy a Vorpal blade with everything on the table, though it would take up most of my budget. Trying to juggle offense, defense, and utility is making my head hurt, so I thought I'd try turning to the forums, get some insight from others. Any help, suggestions, ideas, etc would be welcome. Thank you for your time!

Dork_Forge
2020-03-23, 11:26 PM
I would go with a +2 weapon over the Vorpal sword and then load up on non concentration items and consumables, maybe pick up a staff depending how much you lean into casting. Attunement I'd probably fill up with defensive ltems like a Cloak of Protection.

That list of prices is... something I guess? 3500 seems awfully cheap for an Oathbow, arguably the grail weapon of any archer, it's only 2k more than Bracers of Archery.

JackPhoenix
2020-03-24, 01:09 AM
That list of prices is... something I guess? 3500 seems awfully cheap for an Oathbow, arguably the grail weapon of any archer, it's only 2k more than Bracers of Archery.

Despite the name, there's nothing sane about that list. It's half 3.5 magic item prices, half even more random than default 5e magic item rarity-based pricing.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-03-24, 01:34 AM
Hi all!

Simple thing, our characters were given a rather large sum of gold, and to go nuts. We're using the 'sane magic item' list from these very forums (link below) and we will get a discount on most goods (25% for most items, not all by GM permission) on top of that.

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?424243-Sane-Magic-Item-Prices

I'm a Bard (lore) 6, Warlock 1 (hexblade) who has been doing the 'gish' thing, using greenflame blade primarily. My only magic item is a ring of mind shielding; it takes up an attunement slot and I cannot remove it for reasons of plot.

All that said... what to buy? I mean, I could buy a Vorpal blade with everything on the table, though it would take up most of my budget. Trying to juggle offense, defense, and utility is making my head hurt, so I thought I'd try turning to the forums, get some insight from others. Any help, suggestions, ideas, etc would be welcome. Thank you for your time!

This is where you surprised your DM (potantially messing with them) and buy a base of operations and land for your group instead of magical items.

Magic weapons are cool and all but being able to call yourselves the "Lords and/or Ladies of ____" is cooler.

HPisBS
2020-03-24, 02:15 AM
I'm partial to the Ring of Spell Storing, myself.

However, that's best when used cooperatively - i.e. when another caster stores Shield in there for you, or when a martial character wears it, but the various casters store Shield, Mirror Image, and Hellish Rebuke in for him, or when the Wizard casts Find Familiar into it, then everyone else takes turns attuning so they can each Find their own Familiar.

Otherwise, Boots (& Cloak) of Elvenkind, Winged Boots, Wand of Magic Detection, Bag of Holding, and - if you're really using that list's prices - Ring of Invisibility are always great things to have.

And since you're specifically a Bard, Glamoured Studded Leather, Staff of Healing, and Stone of Good Luck (beware the Stone of Ill Luck) are pretty sweet. Pipes of Haunting gets you a magical instrument with a decent effect without going all the way to an Instrument of the Bards.

Talsin
2020-03-24, 08:17 AM
Hmmm... Hexblade and Lore Bard. Sounds like you'd have some fun with certain things - Ask your DM if you can get a potion of a spell for 50% markup from the scroll cost, then grab a couple potions of Tenser's Transformation :smallwink: (scrolls are otherwise good for this too, but potions are easier).
Grab a variety of smaller items, as the benefits will be greater than individuals (usually). You've got the money to grab 2x +2 weapons (or if you can combine enchantments, a +1 Sword of sharpness and a +2 Vicious Weapon), +2 armor (adamantine if you can swing that),

Rod of the Pactkeeper may not be a bad bet either, but it is your last attunement slot, and if you don't EB all the time Ring/Cloak of Prot may be a better use.
Bags of Holding are often useful, but check with the rest of the party if you are allowed to so you don't all show up with pieces of a bomb.

Foxydono
2020-03-24, 01:03 PM
My advice: +2 adamantine armor, +2 shield, +2 weapon and winged boots. Boring, but effective :)

iTreeby
2020-03-24, 01:09 PM
Blow it all on exotic mount barding!

Odessa333
2020-03-24, 01:20 PM
Some good ideas here. I need to hear back from the DM, but I asked about the following items, assuming 25% off the given prices

Cloak of Protection
+2 adamantine half plate Armor
+2 Shield
+2 Rapier
Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments
Boots of Elvenkind
Ring of Swimming
Cap of Water Breathing
Eversmoking Bottle
Luckstone

It doesn't give me an item to fly, a bag of holding, or the coveted ring of invisibility, sadly. I can take Fly as my magical secret so it's not a MUST, but it would have been nice. Part of me wants to give up the weapons/armor for the ring of invisibility, as that, the boots, and grabbing 'pass without trace' would be a potent stealth build, but stealth can't solve all problems. Just most lol. I do have the spell invisibility already, so while not 'at will' it's better than nothing. I grabbed the water stuff as we're about to go on a long sea adventure, so while situational, it's a situation that is likely to come up.

Oh, I forgot to mention I had medium armor mastery. If my numbers are right, I will have 25 AC, can cast Shield from hexblade, can use cutting words from lore bard, and ignore crits from armor. If I take Counterspell, the stone of good luck will help my bard shut down spells. It should be a pretty good setup, with good offense, defense, and stealth.

What do you think so far? Not set in stone yet, and it only works if the DM approves the discount for all items. Still, it's my first draft at least.

furby076
2020-03-24, 08:23 PM
Cloak of displacement. Grant your enemy disadvantage aginst all hits directed at you

HPisBS
2020-03-24, 09:06 PM
Cloak of displacement. Grant your enemy disadvantage aginst all hits directed at you

Until one of them hits.

If you're about to go out on long voyages, then you may want someone to have an Alchemy Jug. Conjuring 8 gallons of fresh water every day can do a lot to save on space for supplies. Then, after that, you can switch to generating basic poison, acid, or oil. Just have your Wizard Catapult the latter two. During downtime, just generate gallons of honey and rake in the gold.

Alternatively, you could spend your whole 25k on a Ring of Water Elemental Command lol. At first, it just functions as a Ring of Water Walking while being a hard counter to any Water Elementals you may find , but then it upgrades after defeating one (which you may if you're on or near the ocean). Even if you don't come across one, you could just wait until lvl 9, then have the Wizard Conjure up a Water Elemental for you to fight.

But, assuming you want more than just that one great item, I'd say your loadout is pretty decent. I prefer leaning in to the Bard's stealth expertise and Lore's extra magic mastery, but if you're focusing on being a gish (odd choice for Lore), that should do the job pretty well.

timmyd-93
2020-03-25, 12:52 AM
This is where you surprised your DM (potantially messing with them) and buy a base of operations and land for your group instead of magical items.

Magic weapons are cool and all but being able to call yourselves the "Lords and/or Ladies of ____" is cooler.

^ This. Go read MCDM's Strongholds and Followers, and buy a stronghold (each)!

JackPhoenix
2020-03-25, 01:00 AM
Blow it all on exotic mount barding!

125 elephants. You know you want to.

Alternatively: 1 250 000 chickens. I'm not sure which options is more terrifying.

HappyDaze
2020-03-25, 03:22 AM
Hire some quality mercenaries. Really. Nothing can up your combat capabilities as much as having more actions and hit point bags to soak up damage. Beyond that, they can carry a lot too. If you've taken the right spells/feats/class features to make the most of them, a half-dozen solid hirelings can be far more valuable than an extra + on your weapon or armor.

Odessa333
2020-03-26, 03:07 PM
I don't think I could afford that cloak, even with these prices ;) The jug isn't a bad idea.

As to land/elephants/etc, I admit I didn't expect that answer, nevermind multiple times lol. I don't think it would fly for story reasons, but it's an interesting idea to consider.