PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Blessing of the Trickster (enhanced)

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-03-24, 02:47 AM
So, I love the trickery domain but one feature is a bit... Off... So I wanted to fix it up a bit and make it not so weird.

+++++++

Blessing of the Trickster

Starting when you choose this domain at 1st level, you choose two of the following skills from Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Deception, and Performance. You have advantage on the two chosen skills.

Additionally, you may use your action to touch a willing creature other than yourself to give it advantage on the checks you have chosen. This blessing lasts for 1 hour or until you use this feature again.

During the time that another creature has this blessing, you do not gain its benefits.

+++++++

Why two skills?

This allows you to create a Trickster. It doesn't give you proficiency, but it gives you a boost.

Why more than stealth?

Trickery Domain isn't actually a stealth domain. It's a misdirection domain. This feature will make you better at being stealthy (or stealing, lies, or acting) but you won't catch up to the rogue anytime soon with their cunning action and expertise.

Isn't this a bit too much?

Not really. The domain doesn't have a lot of options for damage (outside of the charger feat and sacred flame) so it's not like your stealth is going to give you a huge advantage over enemies. Plus, your duplicity already gives you advantage on attacks!

The other three skills aren't used as much in D&D as D&D focuses on being a combat game, but when the game gives you an opportunity... You will be able to shine or make someone else shine!

Additionally, this subclass gains NO additional proficiencies and this will help alleviate that... They should have at least been given the disguise kit Prof!

Wait, why performance?

When you have your duplicity out, you will want to weave in and out of it's spot to cause confusion about which is you (it's a perfect illusion) and performance will help you fake which way you went compared to your duplicity.

Side Note

My biggest issue with the core option is that you can't target yourself, weird, and that the domain isn't a stealth class... It's a misdirection subclass. I think of a magician where you watch them do one thing while they (or their allies) are doing another thing. Sleight of Hand, Deception, Performance, and Stealth are all core aspects of this.

Heh Domain of the Magician would have works, I guess.

Updated Notes

Pointed out below is the idea that this is an upgraded version of a 9th level feature, Supreme Sneak, well... The original "blessing of the Trickster" could already give the rogue a better version of their 9th level feature. I see this as a problem with Supreme Sneak rather than Blessing of the Trickster.

Yet another point toward "5e needed an editor and another year". My idea for Supreme Sneak would be something like...

Supreme Sneak

Starting at 9th level, you have advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks.

Additionally, if you are restrained or grappled, you may use your action to remove the condition and move up to 10' or stand up if you are prone. You can't use this if you are incapacitated, paralyzed, or stunned.

JNAProductions
2020-03-24, 12:38 PM
Yeah... So, you can give your Rogue friend the 9th level Thief feature, but better, at level 1?

That's quite a bit too much.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-03-24, 07:13 PM
Yeah... So, you can give your Rogue friend the 9th level Thief feature, but better, at level 1?

That's quite a bit too much.

You know that the base ability of the Trickster already does that, right?

From the PHB

Blessing of the Trickster
Starting when you choose this domain at 1st level, you can use your action to touch a willing creature other than yourself to give it advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks. This blessing lasts for 1 hour or until you use this feature again.

Supreme Sneak

Starting at 9th level, you have advantage on a Dexterity (Stealth) check if you move no more than half your speed on the same turn.

In conclusion
Supreme Sneak is a weak 9th level feature.

Edit

Expanding Blessing of the Trickster doesn't make it more powerful, just makes it make more sense with regards to the class.