PDA

View Full Version : New invocation

RSP
2020-03-24, 07:42 AM
All,
Wanted to get the GitPer’s thoughts on a new Warlock invocation I’m thinking of adding. Here’s the draft:

“Prerequisite: Pact of the Blade, Shadow Blade spell, 12 level
You can cast Shadow Blade on yourself at will as a 2nd-level spell, without expending a spell slot or material components, or you can choose to cast it using a Warlock spell slot, either way, the summoned Shadow Blade weapon gains the benefits of being your pact weapon.”

Figure the at-will casting as 2nd level would give the Bladelock an at-will option better than EB with AB at that level, while the option of using a spell slot keeps staying melee competitive even after EB gets its 4th blast.

Thoughts?

nickl_2000
2020-03-24, 07:55 AM
Are there enough invocation slots left for a blade based warlock to add another in there? They already need improved pact weapon and thirsting blade, then likely want lifedrinker as well.

It's a boost, that's for sure, and it opens up your spell slots for instant damages or reflective damage instead of long term spells like hex. I would say to give it a shot and see how it goes.

NaughtyTiger
2020-03-24, 08:01 AM
Would you interpret this as allowing the Warlock to change the form of the shadow blade pact weapon to a whip or longbow?

it is just a straight damage improvement. why tie it to a specific spell? you can just say it ups the damage to 2d8 psychic for the same effect.

Galithar
2020-03-24, 08:16 AM
Are there enough invocation slots left for a blade based warlock to add another in there? They already need improved pact weapon and thirsting blade, then likely want lifedrinker as well.

It's a boost, that's for sure, and it opens up your spell slots for instant damages or reflective damage instead of long term spells like hex. I would say to give it a shot and see how it goes.

At will Shadow Blade removes the need for IPW as far as I can tell. They definitely do have room though. Thirsting Blade, Eldritch Smite, and Life Drinker are the only ones they need this would be the 4th. At level 12 they have 6 leaving 2 non blade related options.

4d8+20 is respectable damage for an at-will I think. They are expending a decent number of class build resources. Eldritch Blast with fewer invocation investment is dealing 3d10+15 at this level.

Shadow Blade average: 38
Eldritch Blast average: 31.5 at range.

It definitely favors the Bladelock for at will damage.

Adding in Hex brings Eldritch Blast back in the lead.
SB: Stays at 38 (Can't concentrate, already on SB)
EB: 42

What definitely tips in the favor of the Blade by far is the free advantage in dim light and darkness. Now they don't need Darkness+Devil's Sight to generate advantage all the time.

I would say it is definitely more powerful then an EB warlock, but it takes more invocations. EB only NEEDS Agonizing Blast where this requires 3 (4th allows Smite burst damage if you want it).

Let's compare to a Barbarian of the same level with a feat investment. We'll do PAM because I don't want to account for accuracy with GWM.

2d10+1d4+24 average of 37.5 damage. So I'd say we're pretty well lined up. It just depends on whether the rest of the Barbarian package (resistance etc.) Is worth more then the remainder of the Warlock package. Add a second feat for GWM and the Barbarian is doing fine I think. Of course he may not have a 20 STR at level 12 if he takes 2 feats, but still probably worth it.

Edit: Barbarian Damage numbers. Used the wrong damage die the first time.

RSP
2020-03-24, 08:35 AM
Would you interpret this as allowing the Warlock to change the form of the shadow blade pact weapon to a whip or longbow?

it is just a straight damage improvement. why tie it to a specific spell? you can just say it ups the damage to 2d8 psychic for the same effect.

Not thinking about changing the form, though, I think it would probably be fine, but most likely a waste. Can tinker with the wording of the invocation if that ends up mattering.

The spell lasts for a minute (10 rounds). Changing the form wastes 1 of those rounds. Changing the form changes the weapon’s damage as the spell creates a weapon that does 2d8 psychic, with the thrown property (20/60). Changing that to a whip would mean it does 1d4 slashing, with Reach.

Depending on DM deciding whether the dim light/darkness is a magical property that would carry over, or a weapon property, which wouldn’t, would be the only issue.

If you want to use a round to change damage from 2d8 psychic to 1d4, for 9 rounds of situational advantage (DM dependent) in exchange for ~6.5 damage per hit, it’s probably fine.

And it’s easier just going off the spell than writing an invocation that covers this and everything that’s in the spell, just to say it’s not Shadow Blade.