PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Need suggestions for interesting Aether Kineticist "projectiles"

Blind_Prophet
2020-03-24, 09:16 PM
For those who don't know Aether Kineticist need something to throw to use their kinetic blast, in general the object used is destroyed when used this way (it takes damage equal to the amount the target took from the kinetic blast)

Anyways I could just carry around a bag of pebbles or other worthless item it doesn't effect the mechanics beyond needing to be present and expendable but since I don't really have any idea who this character is beyond being a psionic thief I've been trying to think of something interesting/thematic to use. At the moment the plan is to use keys.

There was talks of being a Dark Elementalist and using chickens, puppies or orphans but the DM said no evil alignments, oh this is for Dragons Demand so this campaign is only going to lvl 7 (may do custom or higher level modules after that no idea)

Anyways I'm pretty much open to anything...feathers for example of something that would be humorous and possibly mechanically useful since no one would suspect that it would hurt them and aether as far as i know is like the force, invisible.

Powerdork
2020-03-24, 09:38 PM
A personal favourite is playing cards, though some manner of seed, perhaps a nut, can conjure up an amusing visual and be abstracted away as part of a trail mix sort of thing.

Blind_Prophet
2020-03-24, 09:48 PM
A personal favourite is playing cards, though some manner of seed, perhaps a nut, can conjure up an amusing visual and be abstracted away as part of a trail mix sort of thing.

Ooooo I like the idea of something unassuming like trail mix (cards aren't a bad idea either but id rather save that for a card caster+staff magus)

Blind_Prophet
2020-03-25, 08:14 AM
So gotten several suggestions from several locations and ive decided i really like the idea of using a mix and random s$%& ive stolen and non-assuming items like coins, paper, trail mix, marbles, etc.

The idea of using items like alchemists fire etc. has been brought up butg it doesnt sit well with me, im trying to go easy on the DM for this one so feels a bit too cheesy.

Currently I'm thinking of giving my character Profession: Marbler (name?) and intend to try to make a name for himself and isnt above using his telekinetic finesse to subtlety adjust marble trajectory in his favor as well as use it to pick pocket people watching the game with the same ability.

Current Item thoughts

Bludgeoning: Marbles, like someone who plays Magic or DnD carrying a deck of card or a bag of dice and minis it would be expected for a regular marble player to carry a bag of marbles

Piercing: Almonds or other pointy snack, spun like a bullet

Slashing: Copper coins spun like a disc

Still open to ideas (especially in the piercing category) just within the more specific plan.

Sidenote: I wish there was a 1st party version of Dark elementalist that wasnt evil Dex/Int would be much more effective for a skill monkey aether kineticist (I would normally use Kineticist of Popyrus' Cerebral Kineticist or possible the true psychic archetype)

Edit: Oh and i wholly intend to pick up foe throw ASAP

AnimeTheCat
2020-03-25, 08:36 AM
This sounds very Tohsaka Rin from the Fate series. In Unlimited Blade Works the art that surrounds her gem magic is super cool. You could probably use colored pieces of glass to similar effect. The glass pieces can correspond with shape/cut and color for damage type and rider effects:

Round, Fine Round, BVrilliant, Rose: Bludeoning Damage
Trillion, heart, pear, Navette, briolette: Piercing Damage
Baguete, Rectangle, Square, Emerald, Asscher: Slashing Damage

Red: Fire
Light Blue: Cold
Dark Blue: Lightning
Green: Acid
etc

If your DM says those will get expensive, put a few points in craft: glassmaking and make your own.

Blind_Prophet
2020-03-25, 09:29 AM
This sounds very Tohsaka Rin from the Fate series. In Unlimited Blade Works the art that surrounds her gem magic is super cool. You could probably use colored pieces of glass to similar effect. The glass pieces can correspond with shape/cut and color for damage type and rider effects:

Round, Fine Round, BVrilliant, Rose: Bludeoning Damage
Trillion, heart, pear, Navette, briolette: Piercing Damage
Baguete, Rectangle, Square, Emerald, Asscher: Slashing Damage

Red: Fire
Light Blue: Cold
Dark Blue: Lightning
Green: Acid
etc

If your DM says those will get expensive, put a few points in craft: glassmaking and make your own.

Makes me think of Blacksmith aka Amunet Black for The Flash too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbcH0CeL3fU

Kris Moonhand
2020-03-25, 06:37 PM
My Kitsune kineticist uses strands of their own fur as the base for their Aether blast. A non-furry character could likewise use their hair. You can send it straight for a piercing blast, sideways for slashing, and ball it up for bludgeoning.

Sidenote: I wish there was a 1st party version of Dark elementalist that wasnt evil Dex/Int would be much more effective for a skill monkey aether kineticist (I would normally use Kineticist of Popyrus' Cerebral Kineticist or possible the true psychic archetype)Oof, no Porphyra? That's a big sad. Cerebral is pretty rad.

Blind_Prophet
2020-03-25, 07:33 PM
My Kitsune kineticist uses strands of their own fur as the base for their Aether blast. A non-furry character could likewise use their hair. You can send it straight for a piercing blast, sideways for slashing, and ball it up for bludgeoning.
Oof, no Porphyra? That's a big sad. Cerebral is pretty rad.

Normally the DM allows 3rd party but she asked me to keep it simple for this adventure

Blind_Prophet
2020-03-26, 10:14 AM
Thanks for all the help guys, played last night and I had a blast :D

Noxangelo
2020-03-26, 10:18 AM
talk your DM into letting you take the chicken infested flaw?

Blind_Prophet
2020-03-26, 11:42 AM
talk your DM into letting you take the chicken infested flaw?

Thats awesome

Powerdork
2020-03-26, 03:08 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, played last night and I had a blast :D

Glad to hear!