PDA

View Full Version : The Purpose Of Spines

JNAProductions
2020-03-25, 01:35 PM
Spines are generally used for defense. They make it hard for bigger creatures to swallow smaller creatures, because they're pointy and prickly. This leads to my main question...

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/d/df/Monster_Manual_5e_-_Tarrasque_-_Cory_Trego-Erdner_-_p287.jpg

Why does the TARRASQUE have spines? What hunts it?

Dungeon-noob
2020-03-25, 01:42 PM
Attempting to look cool, i'd wager. though i agree that it fails.

Waterdeep Merch
2020-03-25, 01:46 PM
Dendar, the World Serpent.

Ever wonder what really happens to a Tarrasque after you use a Wish to finish it off?

JNAProductions
2020-03-25, 01:48 PM
Dendar, the World Serpent.

Ever wonder what really happens to a Tarrasque after you use a Wish to finish it off?

Oh my god, that imagery is awesome. Thank you.

Segev
2020-03-25, 01:52 PM
No, no, those aren't spines. They're teeth. The tarrasque is the lower jaw of a much larger creature that will be reassembled in the end times. >_> <_<

Rockphed
2020-03-25, 01:55 PM
Other, bigger Tarrasques. Just because they are useless on the biggest members of the species doesn't mean they don't serve a purpose during development.

NRSASD
2020-03-25, 01:56 PM
To avoid becoming a formless blob. rereads original post Ohh......

JackPhoenix
2020-03-25, 02:04 PM
Dragons. Flying creatures are only reason to have a back carapace on a creature that big. Most things it'll face will be smaller, and the belly is much more vulnerable to them.

Misterwhisper
2020-03-25, 02:05 PM
More interesting question:

How did something of that size with that size arms have a burrow speed

Kantaki
2020-03-25, 02:10 PM

It burrows by spinning, using its fangs, claws and spines to tear through the earth.:smalltongue:

No brains
2020-03-25, 02:24 PM
Sometimes creatures have spines just because the spines don't hurt its ability to live. An alligator snapping turtle has spines, even when it doesn't need defense against alligators.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/88/Alligator_snapping_turtle.jpg/800px-Alligator_snapping_turtle.jpg

Not to mention, the Tarrasque might not obey typical rules of evolution. Whatever created the Tarrasque might have just wanted the thing to have spines. Gods can be that way.

There's also the point that the Tarrasque's carapace is what lets it reflect spells. So maybe instead of just poking throats, the spines help it deflect magic. Maybe it does for spell resistance what sharkskin does for water resistance?

Man_Over_Game
2020-03-25, 02:42 PM
There's always the possibility that the Tarrasque used to have a predator.

Maybe not in its current form, but perhaps it grew larger as a mutation, or as a means of survival, and the spines remained.

Evolution isn't about "What's strongest" but rather "What stops working". The Tarrasque is still kicking and going strong, so I'd say the spines are working exactly as intended.

JNAProductions
2020-03-25, 02:44 PM
Lots of logical answers here, explaining why it might have spines despite not needing them as a defensive mechanism against being eaten.

But dammit, I want something to eat Tarrasques! :P

gkathellar
2020-03-25, 02:44 PM

The earth simply yields before the Tarrasque's anger.

Segev
2020-03-25, 02:47 PM
Lots of logical answers here, explaining why it might have spines despite not needing them as a defensive mechanism against being eaten.

Perhaps the Great Cetaceans of Girl Genius's setting?

Or Dalmosh, though he's in MM5 from 3.5e.

Man_Over_Game
2020-03-25, 02:59 PM
Or Dalmosh, though he's in MM5 from 3.5e.

Just read into Dalmosh, out of curiosity.

Basically a supergiant with mouths up-and-down his bald body, with a pocket-dimension inside of his stomach where people actually live. He just eats everything he can that isn't dirt, and he can be summoned by anyone who has 10k worth of food and an hour of time.

Oh, and he's immortal, respawns in two days. Pretty brutal stuff.

Peelee
2020-03-25, 03:01 PM
Spines are generally used for defense. They make it hard for bigger creatures to swallow smaller creatures, because they're pointy and prickly. This leads to my main question...

Nothing anymore. Because the spines did their job.:smallamused:

MrStabby
2020-03-25, 03:28 PM
They are for cooling. That amount of muscle mass and general biochemistry produces a lot of heat that needs to be dissipated. These spines radiate heat and extend the surface area, especially away from the body.

Christew
2020-03-25, 03:40 PM
For adventures to cling to as they mess themselves.

MaxWilson
2020-03-25, 04:28 PM

In RAW 5e? Any first-level commoner with a horse and a magic bow. Caltrops are optional but really help.

Addaran
2020-03-25, 04:52 PM
Probably a lot of things tried to eat it when it was a cute baby Tarrasque.

stoutstien
2020-03-25, 06:34 PM
In RAW 5e? Any first-level commoner with a horse and a magic bow. Caltrops are optional but really help.

I don't know what's more absurd. The idea that caltrops could affect it in any ways or the fact you are correct.

I guess it's the equivalent of one of us stepping on a Lego in the middle of the night

JNAProductions
2020-03-25, 06:36 PM
I don't know what's more absurd. The idea that caltrops could affect it in any ways or the fact you are correct.

I guess it's the equivalent of one of us stepping on a Lego in the middle of the night

Though, to be fair, the commoner would need (assuming 10 Dex, no proficiency, and a bow that merely counts as magic, doesn't have any +X on it) would need...

1,520 arrows on average to kill it. :P

stoutstien
2020-03-25, 06:48 PM
Though, to be fair, the commoner would need (assuming 10 Dex, no proficiency, and a bow that merely counts as magic, doesn't have any +X on it) would need...

It's more of a thought that a creature that crushes cities and stomps armies into the ground is hobbled by a handful of tiny spikes and Ball bearings/
Hunting traps for that matter.

JumboWheat01
2020-03-25, 06:54 PM
Those aren't spines. They're energy storage for when Big-T decides enough is enough and needs to let loose an atomic beam from his mouth. Takes him a while to get to that point though, his brain isn't the best part of him.

stoutstien
2020-03-25, 07:04 PM
My personal head Canon on the tarrasque is that they are actually an invasive species from a plane of existence where they are no where near the top of the food chain.

I've always wanted to do a campaign in a setting where the PCs visit this plane and see real Titans.

MaxWilson
2020-03-25, 07:21 PM

Sounds about right. Total cost: 76 gp, plus 2 sp to hire the commoner. :)

Sigh. The most absurd part is that enough caltrops can potentially *kill* it. Imagine being killed by Legos.

Note though that this is a RAW technicality based on its immunity to nonmagical *attacks* only. In an actual game I'd treat it as immune. And I'd also give it back its unstoppable regeneration.

kazaryu
2020-03-25, 08:10 PM
My personal head Canon on the tarrasque is that they are actually an invasive species from a plane of existence where they are no where near the top of the food chain.

I've always wanted to do a campaign in a setting where the PCs visit this plane and see real Titans.

someones makeing a homebrew book that brings out actual titan bosses...baed on shadow of the colossus. you might wanna look into that.

JNAProductions
2020-03-25, 08:15 PM
There's my old Tarrasque homebrew (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?542991-Big-T-Revised)! *Blows dust off it.* Still not totally satisfied with it (as my friend pointed out, the constant storm thing is kinda out of character) but it's decent enough.

stoutstien
2020-03-25, 09:09 PM
someones makeing a homebrew book that brings out actual titan bosses...baed on shadow of the colossus. you might wanna look into that.
I got it earmarked. Never played the game but I love seeing how others handle massive NPCs.

stoutstien
2020-03-25, 09:15 PM
Sounds about right. Total cost: 76 gp, plus 2 sp to hire the commoner. :)

Sigh. The most absurd part is that enough caltrops can potentially *kill* it. Imagine being killed by Legos.

Note though that this is a RAW technicality based on its immunity to nonmagical *attacks* only. In an actual game I'd treat it as immune. And I'd also give it back its unstoppable regeneration.

I would let it work if they made adequate sized items like 10ft radius balls or 25 ft caltrops.

Wouldn't damage it but could slow it down or redirect it.

That's a fun idea. 2 Nations at odds because they inadvertently are bouncing ol' T back and forth using giant deterrents.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-03-26, 12:47 AM

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/d/df/Monster_Manual_5e_-_Tarrasque_-_Cory_Trego-Erdner_-_p287.jpg

I had a 3e Totemist that hunted Big T, would pick it up and beat other things to death with it.

Ah, 3e...

Spriteless
2020-03-26, 06:54 AM
Perhaps they are scales, just armor that would work better if it weren't pointing upwards like a goose bump or a cat trying to look threatening.

When I first looked at the Tarrask back in 2001, I thought "Damn, they copied Lavos to D&D, how cooool!"

da newt
2020-03-26, 07:51 AM
If this was real world-ish, I think MrStabby actually gave the best answer - the spines are probably for temp control. They provide a great increase in surface area so that the huge creature can shunt blood flow to or from the surface to cool or bask in the sun as needed to regulate it's temp. Surface area vs mass can cause some really interesting problems especially for the hairless / cold blooded.

Eldan
2020-03-26, 07:54 AM
The alternative answer, I think, is... did the Tarrasque evolve?

Or did someone create it and just wanted it to look as dangerous as possible.

Imbalance
2020-03-26, 07:57 AM

Ok, but you're scaling the wrong way. Terrasquemites are microscopic parasites that feed on the monster's carapace. It's actually a symbiosis, as it is these creatures' magic immunity that defends their host. Those aren't spines grown by the beast - they are colony columns.

Joe the Rat
2020-03-26, 08:05 AM
Ok, but you're scaling the wrong way. Terrasquemites are microscopic parasites that feed on the monster's carapace. It's actually a symbiosis, as it is these creatures' magic immunity that defends their host. Those aren't spines grown by the beast - they are colony columns.

So the Terrasque is a thorn tree?

Hmm... so it goes on a rampage, consuming everything, animal, vegetable, or mineral, then buries itself in the ground for centuries.

Clearly the Terrasque is some form of potato.

It arises to consume huge amounts of potential fertilizer. The spines eventually produce shoots that collect sunlight (and possibly magic) as it photosynthesizes between rampages.

Imbalance
2020-03-26, 08:21 AM
So the Terrasque is a thorn tree?

Hmm... so it goes on a rampage, consuming everything, animal, vegetable, or mineral, then buries itself in the ground for centuries.

Clearly the Terrasque is some form of potato.

It arises to consume huge amounts of potential fertilizer. The spines eventually produce shoots that collect sunlight (and possibly magic) as it photosynthesizes between rampages.

The tuberous root of all evil.

Lunali
2020-03-26, 08:21 AM

And people call me crazy when the first thing I buy after getting a bag of holding is two thousand arrows.

Monster Manuel
2020-03-26, 08:41 AM
The tuberous root of all evil.

First of all, potato tarrasque pun wins the internet for today.

But second of all, I think we have to consider how the Tarrasque got here. It's unlikely that it evolved; it was almost certainly the product of some ancient and terrible divine magic, or unspeakable curse, which brought it into being. But these kinds of things rarely appear out of whole cloth, they come from some existing thing which, through long-lost applications of unspeakable magics, is transformed into the terrible thing its' creator wanted it to be.

So, we have the need for a creature with powerful digging claws and a ravenous hunger for smaller things. A spiny, armored back is a plus. The obvious origin is a turtle of some kind, but look at the stance, the activity levels, the positioning of the limbs...this has a mammalian origin, not reptilian. So, ultimately, the spines are a vestige of the creature's long-forgotten origin. With that in mind, I give you...daddy tarrasque:

https://isafari.s3.amazonaws.com/system/landing_page/image/52/large_Baby-Pangs-on-the-rocks-Christian-Boix.jpg