PDA

View Full Version : Custom Background List

deljzc
2020-03-25, 02:53 PM
Any reason to think any of these custom backgrounds would be broken or a problem?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UzRJCxhRfD5OnYXuCxtAZ0RX--f-APCqaUBQO6ukrrk/edit?usp=sharing

Comments welcome.

Man_Over_Game
2020-03-25, 03:04 PM
Not sure if you're aware, but custom backgrounds are not variant rules. Officially, you can create your own background, so long as it obeys the standard formula and it doesn't have a custom feature.

You could, for example, use Religion and Athletics for your skills, an extra language, an Alchemist's Kit, and use the Soldier background feature.

Even in Adventure League, you could do that. It'd be a variant rule for a DM to say you couldn't do that.

There's nothing to worry about. It'd be like asking which usage of the free attribute points from Half-elf would be a problem. None of them are a problem.

Segev
2020-03-25, 03:23 PM
A concept I'm not sure I'll ever actually use is a forest gnome with a variation on the Folk Hero background. The Rustic Hospitality isn't for his heroic deeds, but because he fits the bill of a brownie or house elf, and is thus one of those mysterious creatures about whom superstitions of leaving out milk and not talking about their presence exists. He helps out with things using his "faerie magic" (mostly unseen servant and mending) and stays hidden with the cooperative "don't see him" efforts of the peasantry who're hosting him.

Addaran
2020-03-25, 04:58 PM
Like MOG said, if you fallow the rules, none are problematic. It's only if you make a custom feature that it might be unbalanced.

A concept I'm not sure I'll ever actually use is a forest gnome with a variation on the Folk Hero background. The Rustic Hospitality isn't for his heroic deeds, but because he fits the bill of a brownie or house elf, and is thus one of those mysterious creatures about whom superstitions of leaving out milk and not talking about their presence exists. He helps out with things using his "faerie magic" (mostly unseen servant and mending) and stays hidden with the cooperative "don't see him" efforts of the peasantry who're hosting him.

That's a really cool idea. Dress weirdly, get free milk and chocolate. Just make your unseen servant do the dishes and broom the house while you mend stuff. :smallbiggrin:

JackPhoenix
2020-03-26, 01:07 AM
Note that weapon proficiency is not something you can get from background. Gladiator gives the weapon as an piece of equipment, but does not give you proficiency with it.