PDA

View Full Version : The Dragon Age RPG: How good is it?

WhismurWanders
2020-03-26, 09:02 AM
With nothing to do at home while self-quarantined since my job has shut down in the face of the current public health crisis, I've been playing through the Dragon Age video games, and suddenly remembered there was a TTRPG made as well. I'm curious if anyone has any experience with it, and would love to hear of any praises or criticisms you may have of the system.

Democratus
2020-03-26, 09:14 AM
I've run a Dragon Age campaign. The system is fun and evocative of the video game.

There is a 'stunt' system where players can earn points to do special maneuvers in combat. I advise that if you run the game, you come up with several more stunts of your own. This will avoid the stunt chart from becoming too stale.

So long as you lean heavily on the world (both its lore and dark mood) then it's great.

Delta
2020-03-26, 09:48 AM
I only ran it once but honestly wasn't too impressed. While it is really evocative of the game, I won't argue that, it felt very, very random to me. Like, whether you're effective in close combat felt much more dependant on sheer luck than character skills, since skill has no bearing on when stunts trigger or not, that only happens if you roll doubles.

Now since it was only one time, I have no idea whether it was just some bad luck or if higher level class features maybe help more with that, but in the end all of us didn't like it enough to continue. If I'd wanted to run a campaign based on the world of Dragon Age, personally I'd just use Savage Worlds, it really doesn't take any work at all to adjust the system to Dragon Age and the playstyle is already doing its best to imitate a fast, action-packed ARPG in a lot of ways.