PDA

View Full Version : Anime West Marches Interest Check/Polling

Droark
2020-03-26, 11:57 AM
To skip to the point, read past the divide.

Over the past few weeks, I've begun the development of a rather sizable project - a West Marches game. It's been a few years since I lurked these forums, but I know there's plenty of folks with experience here that I'd like to pick the brains of. I'll start with the premise.

Judgement Online is a Living World/West Marches game intending to follow the themes of a popular subgenre of isekai shown by the Light Novels of Log Horizon and Overlord in which players of an MMORPG are transported to a world based on the game they play. Game systems and menus are in place, but there is no way for the players to escape the new world they have found themselves in.

These players awaken from white metallic cocoons, changed to their avatar in every way and finding themselves being known as the Awoken, with the mortal natives of the world being known as Dreamers. Finally, the Gods of this new world and those who serve them are known as Figments.

For a more complete lore dump, take a look here (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AHs1pAmLnH5zQkCnVJtRv6qvlhI_JgeS).

The game is taking advantage of the mechanical focus of 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons in order to bring those mechanics into the characters' view. The abilities the players chose are chosen by their characters through the level up menu, their class is something they chose themselves at character creation, and so on.

That all said, I'm still developing both the mechanical and fluff side of things - and plan to be for several months to come. Then what, one might ask, is the purpose of this thread? Well, two reasons. First and foremost, I want to see if there's any interest in the community here for such a game. Second, I want to ask a few questions (and maybe more in the future, if there's interest).

1. Do you have any experiences with Living Worlds or West Marches games? If so, do you have any criticisms for the positive or negative you'd like to share from those?

2. What are your personal feelings on 4th Edition D&D?

3. Are there any tropes from the isekai genre that you particularly like or dislike?

4. For this particular premise, how much would you value the ability to craft items? Should all items be able to be crafted? Ignore the Residuum system and related rituals for the purposes of this question.