PDA

View Full Version : Optimization HP Monster

2020-03-26, 02:36 PM
Faerie Mysteries Initiate lets you replace Con with Int for HP. Dry Lich gets rid of your Con score and gives Cha to HP per HD (and can be acquired theoretically-freely via Walker In The Waste). Dragon Warrior (Dragon Magazine #298) gives Wis to HP per HD. How would you go about combining these disparate elements into a cohesive build?

Kayblis
2020-03-26, 02:55 PM
All of them stack pretty nicely. The feat trades Con bonus for Int bonus, but the other two don't require a trade and are a straight bonus. This means your best bet would be to have very high mental scores, and ignore your physical scores. If you manage to get, say, a 24 on each of them, it's +21 HP per DW level on top of a d12, and +14 on the rest.

The thing is which base class to use in order to get to +6 BAB. You could give it a Warblade base to work with, getting up to 3rd level maneuvers before entering the class. You'd take 9 levels of DW and reach lv 15, at which point you'd take the +5 LA of Dry Lich. Overall, that's 15d12 + 84 + 189, which averages to 370 HP. Not bad at all, considering you are undead and have +15 BAB, but you're pretty limited as a lv 20 character.

2020-03-26, 05:05 PM
All of them stack pretty nicely. The feat trades Con bonus for Int bonus, but the other two don't require a trade and are a straight bonus. This means your best bet would be to have very high mental scores, and ignore your physical scores. If you manage to get, say, a 24 on each of them, it's +21 HP per DW level on top of a d12, and +14 on the rest.

The thing is which base class to use in order to get to +6 BAB. You could give it a Warblade base to work with, getting up to 3rd level maneuvers before entering the class. You'd take 9 levels of DW and reach lv 15, at which point you'd take the +5 LA of Dry Lich. Overall, that's 15d12 + 84 + 189, which averages to 370 HP. Not bad at all, considering you are undead and have +15 BAB, but you're pretty limited as a lv 20 character.

That' they're compatible is known, it's what's great about them. I'm more looking for what people would make that ends up with all of them and isn't that bad off despite that. Also I should clarify, I'm pretty sure the DW thing about Wis to HP is about HD in general, not specifically DW class levels, so DW 1 is all that's necessary I think? In any case, ToB would be great for a warrior base, regardless of which class is used for the base, I think. I'm also kinda curious what kinda gishes could be made good despite the feat/level/template tax. >.>

RaiKirah
2020-03-26, 05:50 PM
Human Duskblade 5/Ur-Priest 1/Walker In The Wastes 10/Dragon Warrior 4

Taking Apprentice (Criminal) for Bluff, and assuming WitW gives Dry Lich for free, would be pretty good I think, though only BAB+14.

#EDIT: If I'm doing the math right that would be 6d8+10d6+4d12+84+224 = 396 avg HP on top of 20 levels of class features and feats.

FauxKnee
2020-03-26, 06:45 PM
Probably worth noting that you could use standard undead cheese instead of the Dry Lich template if you want to free up build space. Pay an NPC to raise you as an undead. IMO, the most reasonable option here is undeath after death from Magic of Faerun, which raises you as a Crypt Spawn. (Crypt Spawn is functionally very similar to a Necropolitan, but instead of a bonus against Control Undead and natural recovery they get a natural armor bonus.)

+2 HP / HD - desecrate, core
+2 HP / HD - corpsecrafter, Libris Mortis (note that other benefits of this line of feats would also apply)
+2 HP / HD - 8th-level Dread Necromancer, Heroes of Horror
+2 HP / HD - 1st-level Enhanced Undead Wizard, Unearthed Arcana / SRD

That's a cumulative 8 HP per HD, costing you only gold (and probably +1 LA if the DM is being reasonable.) This does require a pretty high-level NPC, but since spellcasting services are based on caster level rather than character level, the prices are not exorbitant. This is a pretty decent result considering it eats a lot fewer levels than Dry Lich.

Kayblis
2020-03-26, 07:02 PM
Also I should clarify, I'm pretty sure the DW thing about Wis to HP is about HD in general, not specifically DW class levels, so DW 1 is all that's necessary I think?

The text I see states:
"[...]As a result, dragon warriors add their Wisdom bonus to their hit points at each dragon warrior level."

This clearly states it's a benefit per class level. This wording is common, and found in many PrCs to denote levels in that PrC only.

2020-03-26, 07:06 PM
The text I see states:
"[...]As a result, dragon warriors add their Wisdom bonus to their hit points at each dragon warrior level."

This clearly states it's a benefit per class level. This wording is common, and found in many PrCs to denote levels in that PrC only.

Aww that's unfortunate. Can still be worked with though. :smallsmile: