PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Mirror Image and Mounted Characters?

Citadel97501
2020-03-26, 02:44 PM
Hello all, I was wondering how you deal with mounted character with Mirror Image? I assume that you would just have each illusion appear mounted on the same illusion mount, and attacking either would count for a roll on the table. I am wary of this though as it then seems to make your mount safer than normal? Then again the option of attacks directed toward the mount always hitting the mount seems problematic as well.

Segev
2020-03-26, 03:01 PM
Hello all, I was wondering how you deal with mounted character with Mirror Image? I assume that you would just have each illusion appear mounted on the same illusion mount, and attacking either would count for a roll on the table. I am wary of this though as it then seems to make your mount safer than normal? Then again the option of attacks directed toward the mount always hitting the mount seems problematic as well.

Really is a DM's call. I think the rules on mounts make it so you can do something to minimize their danger, but I could be wrong.

At a minimum, they all appear on your mount, and move around enough that hitting the right one is as hard as ever. At a maximum, the mount benefits, too. But you all still are occupying the same square.

Griswold
2020-03-26, 03:03 PM
I would have the spell does what it says: when people try to attack you they might hit the mirror image instead. If they attack your mount? Well, it's not affected by the spell, so they hit your mount as usual.

What does this look like? That's trickier. I'd say something ridiculous like it looks like there are 4 people riding one horse.

Attacks targeting the mount always successfully targeting them is no more problematic than usual, i.e. mounts are pretty squishy in D&D. If you want to make your mount harder to target, then you either take the mounted combatant feat or you cast find steed.

jmartkdr
2020-03-26, 03:32 PM
I wouldn't let the mirroring effect apply to the mount without the Share Spells feature in use - essentially because Share Spells is a feature and I wouldn't want to give it away for free with some spells.