PDA

View Full Version : Pricing pixie poison

Segev
2020-03-26, 03:25 PM
Okay, it’s Sprite, not Pixie, but I wanted the alliterative title.

Sprite poison has a save DC of 10, and inflicts Poisoned if you fail. Fail by 5 or more, and you’re unconscious for 1 minute.

I am unsure if rolling a natural 1 when you have at least a +5 save means you’re KO’d or just poisoned.

Thinking about how to price this, I look at the DMG and see that Drow poison has a DC of 13, and KOs you for an hour if you fail by 5 or more.

It’s more or less the same thing, but with bigger numbers. It costs 200gp per dose.

Standard poison does an extra d4 of damage on a failed save and is 100 gp per dose. (For a maximum of 3d4 damage, one wonders why one would pay so much.)

How much of a discount is balanced for sprite poison vs drow? It’s worth noting that Drow apply their poison to every attack, and this must be carrying thousands of gp of the stuff with them. Sprites also apply it to every bow attack. (And Sprite familiars of Chainlocks seem to get it in unlimited supply, albeit only getting to use it if the Warlock spends an action letting them attack.)

I’m trying to gauge something of practicality of sprites actually manufacturing their own poison, given the most generous measure is that you make 50 gp worth per sprite-week. Maybe the “poison-brewers” thing in their entry gives them a discount or a faster production time?

HappyDaze
2020-03-26, 05:28 PM
Prices of things in 5e are largely a butt-pull. Put it somewhere around that of the other poisons and see how it goes. If necessary, adjust the market prices.

Chaosmancer
2020-03-26, 08:28 PM
I am unsure if rolling a natural 1 when you have at least a +5 save means you’re KO’d or just poisoned.

Per RAW, since you did not fail the save by 5 or more with your +5 con bonus, you are just poisoned, not KO'd. Sprite poison is just sadly very weak.

Price in gold... gut says 50 to 100 gp, just because Poison prices are spiked up because it is "immoral" to use poison.