PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Natural Aptitude: Alterantive Class feature to metamagic

clash
2020-03-26, 04:23 PM
I have been working on alternative features to metamagic as I dont think it is generally very satisfying having that as the sorcerer's identity. I created the Raw Arcana alternative class feature last week here https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?609133-Alternative-to-metamagic-raw-arcana. So for people that want to play an X-mancer using the sorcerer I created this. Let me know if it is a fair trade for giving up metamagic.

Level 3 Natural Aptitude(Replaces Metamagic):
As a creature of natural talent, your magical talents tend towards a certain aptitude rather than covering a wide berth. Choose one of the aptitudes below. You automatically add the following spells to your list of spells known when you reach a level in which you can cast them. They do not count towards your total number of spells known. Each of the spells can be cast by expending a number of sorcery points equal to the spells level.

1: False Life
2: Healing Spirit
3: Revivy
4: Aura of Life
5: Greater Restoration
6: Heal
7: Resurrection
8: Clone
9: True Resurrection

1: Longstrider
2: Hold Person
3: Haste
4: Divination
5: Far Step
6: Contingency
7: Regenerate
8: Power Word Stun
9: Time Stop

1: Expedius Retreat
2: Misty Step
3: Thunder Step
4: Dimension Door
5: Far Step
6: Word of Recall
7: Plane Shift
8: Demiplane
9: Gate

1: Protection From evil and good
2: Silence
3: Counterspell
4: Banishment
5: Antilife Shell
6: Globe of Invulnerability
7: Sequester
8: Antimagic Field
9: Invulnerability

1: Charm Person
2: Suggestion
3: Fear
4: Dominate Beast
5: Telekinesis
6: Mass Suggestion
7: Divine Word
8: Dominate Monster
9: Physic Scream

1: Inflict Wounds
2: Shadow Blade
3: Animate Dead
4: Death Ward
5: Danse Macabre
6: Create Undead
7: Finger of Death
8: Abi-Dalzim’s Horrid Wilting
9: Power Word Kill

1: Shield
2: Spiritual Weapon
3: Fly
4: Faithful Hound
5: Bigy’s Hand
6: Blade Barrier
7: Forecage
8: Illusary Dragon
9: Prismatic Wall

Level 10 Uncanny Talent
When you reach level 10, whenever you cast a spell from your natural aptitude list it counts as if it were cast one spell level higher.

Level 17 Limitless Potential
When you reach level 17 you can cast the 1st level spell from your natural aptitude list without expending any sorcery points or spell slots

Segev
2020-03-26, 04:47 PM
Why play a sorcerer rather than a wizard or bard? You'll get more spells, either way, and the only "perk" of this is really the bonus spells known from a fixed list. One per spell level. Without metamagic to make them do some really unique things, you're just a less-versatile wizard.

Garfunion
2020-03-26, 04:58 PM
So sorcery points are only used to create spell slots now? I do like the idea of sorcerer aptitude towards a type of magic but I think it conflicts with a sorcerer’s bloodline. Bloodlines should be the ones to provide bonus spells.

clash
2020-03-26, 05:12 PM
Why play a sorcerer rather than a wizard or bard? You'll get more spells, either way, and the only "perk" of this is really the bonus spells known from a fixed list. One per spell level. Without metamagic to make them do some really unique things, you're just a less-versatile wizard.

It gives you extra spells to match a theme to make your spells known aproximately what the wizard and bard get on a given day.
Sorcerer variant: 24
Bard: 22 + 4 from magical secrets
Wizard: 25 prepared at a given time

It lets you cast them cheaper than other spells giving you a good reason to cast them. You still get all your subclass features, but your right that it might be a little boring or weak compared to metamagic. I will try to think of how to make it more interesting and unique of an identity.

clash
2020-03-26, 05:14 PM
So sorcery points are only used to create spell slots now? I do like the idea of sorcerer aptitude towards a type of magic but I think it conflicts with a sorcerer’s bloodline. Bloodlines should be the ones to provide bonus spells.

Sorcery points can also be used directly to cast spells from your aptitude cheaper than any other spells giving you a good reason to cast from your natural aptitude list.

Garfunion
2020-03-26, 05:32 PM
Sorcery points can also be used directly to cast spells from your aptitude cheaper than any other spells giving you a good reason to cast from your natural aptitude list.

I don’t know. A lot of what I am seeing borders to closely to the Wizard.

I really wished they made the sorcerer cantrip magic focused.

Daphne
2020-03-26, 06:36 PM
I like the idea, but I think the spells should be tied to each origin and should be spells you want to cast often.

Although casting shield for just 1 SP would be problematic imo, that spell should be avoided.

Wrath Of Grapes
2020-03-27, 02:58 AM
I like the idea, but I think the spells should be tied to each origin and should be spells you want to cast often.

Although casting shield for just 1 SP would be problematic imo, that spell should be avoided.

I agree, shield can usually be cast multiple times by using spell slots but those spell slots will gradually increase in cost as you run out off low level spell slots

I prefer to have spells bound to origin as well but I am not sure that this will be enough to pick the sorcerer over a wizard by itself.