PDA

View Full Version : Mid power RPG

Shinizak
2020-03-27, 12:39 AM
A few days ago I posted on here trying to find a new RPG to try, and didn't really get what I'm craving.

Essentially, I want a system that resembles World of Darkness out of combat. But resembles mid power D&D (level 7-12) IN combat.

I'm not sure how possible that is, but I'm curious anyway.

Kaptin Keen
2020-03-27, 05:35 AM
The only thing I can really think of that resembles D&D level 7-12 is .... D&D level 7-12.

Ravenloft?

Altair_the_Vexed
2020-03-27, 06:12 AM
Can you define what it is in WoD's non-combat play that you're looking for?

Knaight
2020-03-27, 06:21 AM
Scion might fit this. It depends on what feel specifically you're looking for in both regards, but it's very WoD like structurally while running in the power range (though it's built to scale if you want to expand). That said Scion is a bit of a mess, mostly because WoD style mechanics tend not to be solid at the best of times.

Quertus
2020-03-27, 06:30 AM
I've never played it, bit there's a system that has a dice pool, like WoD, but you look at the sum, and pick your effect after you roll. Like, "I rolled well enough to hit 3 targets" or whatever. Might be close?

Grod_The_Giant
2020-03-27, 08:53 AM
Shadowrun? Exalted?

GrayDeath
2020-03-28, 10:44 AM
If youa re merely talking about the "Power" or "Supernaturalness" of the D&D 7-12 Range (ergo High but not too High MFantasy) then ..... a lot.

The 3 best fitting I know personally (though each ahs its own problems, see below) are:

Exalted in the Range of 3-4 Essence, if all your Charms are Combat oriented (ergo you ignore any Social Combat, Crafting, etc).
Pro: Easy to do. Great background, cool Style.
Contra: The Combat is very ... Paranoid, and the Power Level in Combat,e ven if taking the same Exalted, may vary greatly.

DSA/The Dark Eye with sufficiantly high Pts Characters, just ignore Crafting, Social etc and leave it at "middle bompetent guy".
Pro: uses D20, Cool Setting, very varied ways to achieve around that PL (though closer to 7 than 12)
Contra: Fiddly system, mages run dry quickly, Clerics have very strong restrictions, voeryll can barely reach that power without a lot of leeway for Astral Energy recovery.

Shadowrun: Just paly your typcal medium Pwoer Runners.
They already are socially inept hardasses that love combat. :P

Contra: The System is big. Really big.