PDA

View Full Version : spellcaster level and multiclassing

Zhepna
2020-03-27, 09:50 AM
Hi,

we play 3.5
I have 1 level of 1 lvl of Favored Soul and 5 level of wizard. I have a wand of Cure Light Wounds.

When laying your hand upon a living creature, you channel positive energy that cures 1d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +5).

Does my 5 level of wizard counts (and I have the bonus of +5) or since this is a divine spell, only divine spellcaster level counts (so I would only heal for 1d8+1)?

Thanks for the information.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-03-27, 09:54 AM
Neither counts, every wand has its own caster level that's used to determine the strength of the spell it contains.

If you were to use a staff of a spell, which does use your own caster level if it's higher than that of the staff, then you would use the caster level of whichever class has that spell on its class spell list.

Xervous
2020-03-27, 09:57 AM
Wands have a caster level baked into the item. Generally wands are made at the lowest caster level that could cast the spell. CLW comes online at cleric level 1, so your wand is definitely a CL 1 wand and will heal 1d8+1 no matter the caster level of whoever uses it.

FauxKnee
2020-03-28, 09:51 AM
There are a few obscure options (like Wand Bonding feat from City of Stormreach) that allow you to modify the caster level of a wand as you use it. They do not tend to see a whole lot of use, however.

As a bit of an aside, specifically because you mentioned a wand of cure light wounds, if healing more slowly is an option it is difficult to beat the HP-to-GP ratio of a wand of lesser vigor. (From the Spell Compendium, at CL 1 it will always heal exactly 11 hp over the duration.) It is on the Cleric list, so a Favored Soul can activate it without jumping through any hoops.

Vander Nars
2020-04-19, 10:43 PM
As stated above wands use their own caster level. However to answer the question about cleric/wizard casting stacking, the answer is "No except", the except is certain classes/feats/abilities can make different caster levels stack.