PDA

View Full Version : Do winged boots make noise? (move silently)

Valcor
2020-03-27, 11:22 AM
Having acquired winged boots, and discovered the delights of flight, I wish to sneak up on some young dragons.

Do the boots flap? Can I assume I simply slip silently through the air? Is there a way to find this out - short of talking to my DM and just making a decision together?

Lunali
2020-03-27, 12:53 PM
DMs may vary, but the typical ruling is that if it doesn't say anything about it, there's no change. So you are as stealthy in the air as on the ground.

Spectrulus
2020-03-27, 06:18 PM
I agree, same old stealth checks, even with heavy armor because you can still clank against yourself in the sky.

Valcor
2020-03-27, 09:50 PM
Ya - that makes sense. Thanks guys!

Tanarii
2020-03-28, 10:13 PM
You may find it harder to find something to hide behind in the air though.

ZorroGames
2020-04-03, 08:11 AM
I know it is magic but only bird that is “completely silent” would be an Owl when they flap it’s wings so perhaps a skill check would be appropriate. DC 10 in this case?

stoutstien
2020-04-03, 09:46 AM
I know it is magic but only bird that is “completely silent” would be an Owl when they flap it’s wings so perhaps a skill check would be appropriate. DC 10 in this case?

Nothing in the item description states that the wings are moving at all. It's a magical item so it just lets you fly or for one of my players moon walk around.

ZorroGames
2020-04-03, 09:57 AM
Nothing in the item description states that the wings are moving at all. It's a magical item so it just lets you fly or for one of my players moon walk around.

Agreed, check with your DM just in case he/she has a different view.

Of course, it doesn’t say they don’t move either.

Bohandas
2020-04-03, 12:31 PM

That said, in movies and cartoons they're generally depicted as flapping. Not hard enough to actually move a person by themselves - presumably its just part of the sympathetic magic - but still moving

col_impact
2020-04-03, 03:46 PM
Rules only do what they say they do. Unless Winged Boots specifies stealthy, it ain't stealthy.

Lunali
2020-04-04, 09:36 AM
Rules only do what they say they do. Unless Winged Boots specifies stealthy, it ain't stealthy.

It doesn't say it's stealthy, it doesn't say it isn't, so they are as stealthy as the character wearing them.