PDA

View Full Version : Test audience needed: is this gag for a one-shot character funny?

1Pirate
2020-03-27, 02:21 PM
So I'm making a 10th level Goliath Blood Hunter that uses the older version(the Wisdom based one) for a one-shot. But this isn't about mechanics, it's about names.

He's a self-described Troll hunter, so I'm trying to figure out the meta-funniest name for him. My first thought was Bann Hammer.

But then I wondered if I should take it a little further and instead call him Modd Raytor who fights with a war hammer that was one of many forged in the workshop of the famous blacksmith, Bann. So he wields a Bann hammer.

Then I thought what if I took it even further, instead of being his actual name, Modd Raytor was actually a title he held. And then Bann was the only smith in his hometown that made weapons. So the Bann was also a slang word for kill. So now he's the Modd Raytor who Banns trolls.

Now, I'm thinking of taking things further. See his hometown has a sort of Roman-esque layout to it, so the central market is called the forum. And the Modd Raytor is the title of someone who makes sure any posts put up in the forum are clean. So like if a post needs cleaning or a troll needs to be Banned, it's a job for the Modd Raytor.

Anyway, are any of these funny? Do they go too far after a certain point? Will the joke get old before the session ends?

Segev
2020-03-27, 02:34 PM
I think they're funny, though the forum post cleaning might be a bit hard to work in without forcing it to the point that it's not funny. I'd keep it, but not bring it up unless it comes up on its own.

Maybe make "Raytor" the title, and "Mod" his name. Going for a bit of a Japanese-order thing on the name-title.

Or make him a her. Her name is "Maud." Maud, a Raytor of the Forum.

saucerhead
2020-03-27, 02:59 PM
The joke is good. Make it the +1 Baun Hammer (+3 vs. Troll-kind) and it makes you talk like Arnold.

P. G. Macer
2020-03-27, 04:22 PM
Personally, I find this idea utterly hilarious! Go ahead!

MaxWilson
2020-03-27, 04:25 PM
So I'm making a 10th level Goliath Blood Hunter that uses the older version(the Wisdom based one) for a one-shot. But this isn't about mechanics, it's about names.

He's a self-described Troll hunter, so I'm trying to figure out the meta-funniest name for him. My first thought was Bann Hammer.

But then I wondered if I should take it a little further and instead call him Modd Raytor who fights with a war hammer that was one of many forged in the workshop of the famous blacksmith, Bann. So he wields a Bann hammer.

Then I thought what if I took it even further, instead of being his actual name, Modd Raytor was actually a title he held. And then Bann was the only smith in his hometown that made weapons. So the Bann was also a slang word for kill. So now he's the Modd Raytor who Banns trolls.

Now, I'm thinking of taking things further. See his hometown has a sort of Roman-esque layout to it, so the central market is called the forum. And the Modd Raytor is the title of someone who makes sure any posts put up in the forum are clean. So like if a post needs cleaning or a troll needs to be Banned, it's a job for the Modd Raytor.

Anyway, are any of these funny? Do they go too far after a certain point? Will the joke get old before the session ends?

Speaking for myself, Bann Hammer is funny, but everything after that is too much.

By the way, "banning" a troll could be posting wedding bans, so you're not making up new slang.

Evaar
2020-03-27, 04:26 PM
I was thinking of making an Order of the Lycan Blood Hunter who uses the Rite of the Storm Crimson Rite.

Name would be Wolf Blitzer

Brawnspear
2020-03-27, 07:22 PM
Maude Raytor was a mighty adventurer, wielder of a tremendous warhammer, forged by the great dwarven runesmith Bann in the legendary forges of Mount Ain. The mighty are never born as such, and each step along their journey adds to their acclaim. Certain momentous occasions add such prestige that not only does the adventurer earn a new name, even the tools they wield gain recognition.

The naming of Maude is a tale odd, a story of cunning and skill.
A town did sleep in the forest Deep, a monster had snuck in to kill
The center of town, with the street lights turned down, a forum of marketplace stalls
A troll did appear, the men quaked with fear, and blood soon bedecked all the walls
Hefting her hammer, Maude rushed to the clamor and smote the savage troll a clout
With power and grace, a fell look on her face, she swept the beast into a rout
The last thing they heard as the troll fled northward was roaring of agonized pain
The troll ran from the dell, while Maude hollered and yelled, "Come back, I'll clean your clock again!"
Returning to sight, hero in the night, her titles did ring through the land.
Maude Raytor, Forum Keeper, Wielder of TrollSweeper, the mighty Warhammer of Bann

Quietus
2020-03-27, 07:43 PM
I think for a one shot, this is great, as long as it's in theme with the game. However, I do think the insistence on correlating "bann" and kill is the point it goes too far. Modd Raytor, weilder of the great Bann's hammer, maintainer of the forum posts, is excellent. Though I do agree, I'd make the character female and use the spelling Maude.

JackPhoenix
2020-03-27, 11:36 PM
Both names are funny, but the title stuff feels forced just for the sake of a pun. And I like puns.

Yora
2020-03-28, 04:44 AM
I think it's completely unfunny.
Though I don't think I've ever seen a good joke in an RPG. It's just not a medium for jokes.

chando
2020-03-29, 09:03 PM
I think it's completely unfunny.
Though I don't think I've ever seen a good joke in an RPG. It's just not a medium for jokes.

It its a great medium for not good jokes. And puns are the best not good jokes there is!!

Chronos
2020-03-30, 10:06 AM
Whether this will be funny will depend entirely on whether the other players are habitual forum-users. You run the risk of everyone going "Huh?".

Catullus64
2020-03-30, 10:57 AM
In ancient times, before the Forum Keepers guarded against the trolls, the townspeople attempted to fight the trolls with fire. Though flaming the trolls was initially effective, it caused almost the entire town to burn down several times; indeed, this was the trolls' stratagem. Now, the Forum Keeper is responsible for strictly monitoring the lamps and torches in the forum, lest the town suffer once again from the terrible destruction of the Flame Wars.

Laserlight
2020-03-30, 11:55 AM
Modray Tor and his Bannhammer are okay, although I'd make it the hammer with which he posts the wedding Banns.

Beyond that, it sounds too contrived.

Dungeon-noob
2020-03-30, 12:15 PM
I snorked at all of them, though i'm not sure how well the latter ones will hold up over a longer period of time, like session. Full campaign i'd advise against unless you're very sure the party would like it.

Segev
2020-03-30, 12:29 PM
I snorked at all of them, though i'm not sure how well the latter ones will hold up over a longer period of time, like session. Full campaign i'd advise against unless you're very sure the party would like it.

In a full campaign, the joke would play out with the slow burn. It'd pay off to have "Raytor Maud," where "Raytor" is her title that she never explains. "Just Maud," she might say, "I'm not acting in my official capacity right now," if it comes up too soon.

Explaining that a Raytor is a title of importance back at her village (with an implication it's a sheriff or mayoral type post) would work.

Second or third session, the identity of the smith who made her hammer, or the fact that her hammer posts wedding bans, or something similar comes up. People get a good chuckle out of it. Some really clever people might pick up on "Raytor Maud" being a portmanteau of "Moderator," but not everyone.

The extent of the joke comes out as she comments on her hatred for trolls. The realization that she's using the Ban Hammer on Trolls will come slowly. She should get Magic Initiate for some sort of fire spell, too. Ideally something that ignites her hammer, if any first level spells do that.

Speaking of her wars against the trolls, of the importance of using fire responsibly, eventually the "Flame Wars" will be referenced.

In short, it's a joke that plays out over a long time, rather than being dropped on you all at once, if you play it over a campaign.

Cerefel
2020-03-30, 01:45 PM
I feel like it could work as a one-off joke if she just introduces herself as such:

"My full title is Maude Raytor, keeper of the forum, wielder of the mighty Bann Hammer, enemy of trolls, and hero of the Flame Wars, but you can just call me Maude"

Laserlight
2020-03-30, 04:49 PM
I had an NPC whose fields were worked by zombies, whose shadow detached itself from him, and did other spooky stuff. He was Old Juan, but the players didn't get the pun until the end of the campaign. The realization--THAT was hilarious. For me, at least...

Segev
2020-03-30, 04:55 PM
I had an NPC whose fields were worked by zombies, whose shadow detached itself from him, and did other spooky stuff. He was Old Juan, but the players didn't get the pun until the end of the campaign. The realization--THAT was hilarious. For me, at least...

Sounds like he was pretty great. Was he willing to provide anyone in the party with patronage?

Kane0
2020-03-30, 05:20 PM
For a one shot sounds good to me, it wont have the time to wear thin and it really only has to get that initial chuckle.