PDA

View Full Version : Melee Sorcerer Bloodline

Garfunion
2020-03-27, 06:00 PM
Not sure if I should post this in homebrew forums or not.

Every class now is either melee oriented or has a melee oriented archetype except the sorcerer. So my question is, how would you make a melee oriented archetype for the sorcerer? To make is interesting, you can not give them more armor and weapon proficiencies.

I’ve already attempted to make a melee fiendish bloodline version in the homebrew forums. I what to know what the general forum posters think.

EdenIndustries
2020-03-27, 06:08 PM
Giant Soul Sorcerer is maybe a step in the right direction towards what you're looking for? https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_GiantSoul.pdf

Dankus Memakus
2020-03-27, 06:13 PM
Not sure if I should post this in homebrew forums or not.

Every class now is either melee oriented or has a melee oriented archetype except the sorcerer. So my question is, how would you make a melee oriented archetype for the sorcerer? To make is interesting, you can not give them more armor and weapon proficiencies.

I’ve already attempted to make a melee fiendish bloodline version in the homebrew forums. I what to know what the general forum posters think.

I frequently really want a melee option. Stone sorcerer from UA was really good. However there are ways with the current sorcerer that you can make melee builds. A fire dragon sorc using green flame blade would be good or having lightning lure and shocking grasp as either a lightning dragon sorc or storm sorc is an idea. I know that isn't exactly what you are asking but it's definitely something to look at for at least some inspiration.

Garfunion
2020-03-27, 06:40 PM
Giant Soul Sorcerer is maybe a step in the right direction towards what you're looking for? https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_GiantSoul.pdf

I frequently really want a melee option. Stone sorcerer from UA was really good. However there are ways with the current sorcerer that you can make melee builds. A fire dragon sorc using green flame blade would be good or having lightning lure and shocking grasp as either a lightning dragon sorc or storm sorc is an idea. I know that isn't exactly what you are asking but it's definitely something to look at for at least some inspiration.

I’ve looked into all of these; giant soul, draconic bloodline, and storm soul gets very close and the stone sorcerer gets closer however their weapon and armor proficiency don’t really make sense to me as an innate spellcaster.

JumboWheat01
2020-03-27, 07:05 PM
There is an old UA that has, among other things, the Stone Sorcery option. It gives you all weapon proficiency and shields, more HP, and as an action, you can have a permanent Mage Armor-like effect that gives you AC equal to 13 + Con Mod as your body becomes stone-like.

It has additional spells you can learn (read, not freebies, but take up one of your spells known) and it's full of Smite spells for smacking with your weapon.

Mind you, this is very mad, you need the Str/Dex, Con and Cha to go full power. Though if you mostly load your spells with support, you could safely keep Cha lower.

Edit: Oh, someone mentioned Stone Sorcery. Ah, well, it bears repeating!

Nikushimi
2020-03-27, 07:16 PM
Hard to create a melee sorcerer without giving them weapon proficiencies.

The only thing I can think of is to do something revolved around the Shadow Blade, but it's a level 2 spell so it'll take a while to be able to use it.

So maybe an archetype that allows access to it earlier, or a version of it as a Cantrip that scales with you as you gain in power with useful abilities centered around it.

That's the only thing I can think of without giving them weapon or armor proficiencies. They could also do something like the Bladesinger for the Wizard.

Otherwise, what other people listed is probably the closest you'll get.

Zetakya
2020-03-27, 09:13 PM
Stone Sorcerer works for Drow. I looked at it before going Divine Soul on my current play-by-zoom game. You're mostly a hit-and-run combatant, not a front liner though. Other, lesser, Elves should work as well.

Edit: Remember as well that many races get Racial Weapon Proficiency, and in the case of Dwarves Racial Armour Proficiency.

Cyclops08
2020-03-27, 10:50 PM
I have been looking at this for a while and the only way I have found to make a melee sorcerer to work is take two levels in Hexblade.
You have armor proficiency, and Charisma is your hit and damage mod.

My build will be based on the Divine Soul sorcerer. I am working on an inflict wounds build. Touch attacks/single target is the goal.

suggested feat: Toughness +2 hit points a level really add up.
I however am going with magic initiate, sorcerer. I really want shocking grasp for the advantage against armored foes.

Zetakya
2020-03-27, 11:00 PM
I have been looking at this for a while and the only way I have found to make a melee sorcerer to work is take two levels in Hexblade.
You have armor proficiency, and Charisma is your hit and damage mod.

My build will be based on the Divine Soul sorcerer. I am working on an inflict wounds build. Touch attacks/single target is the goal.

suggested feat: Toughness +2 hit points a level really add up.
I however am going with magic initiate, sorcerer. I really want shocking grasp for the advantage against armored foes.

If you're just wanting Spell Touch Attacks and Medium Armour, then Dwarf is better. You don't need Warlock for CHA to hit if you're using Spell Touch that runs on CHA anyway...

Garfunion
2020-03-27, 11:58 PM
I’m more looking for ideas on how one would create an melee archetype for a sorcerer. I understand the various multiclass builds that you can apply to a sorcerer.

You don’t need weapons to be melee. There a spells that are melee or close ranged Smite spells can be used with unarmed strike. Using constitution to help with AC and the hit point department. Maybe do extra damage to creatures in melee(5ft) combat with the sorcerer.

What else could you give to a sorcerer archetype to survive more in “danger close” combat.

Cyclops08
2020-03-28, 09:57 AM
What else could you give to a sorcerer archetype to survive more in “danger close” combat.
Proficiency with light armor. The dragon blood Sorcerer has a free Mage armor effect.
~~Add the charisma bonus to AC.

Add the charisma bonus to touch spell damage.

Add a bonus to movement similar to monks.

Allow the Mirror image spell to 'flank' the target. All images appear to be attacking the target specifically.

the sorcerer can disengage without incurring an attack of opportunity.

Spectrulus
2020-03-28, 11:28 AM
.. You don’t need weapons to be melee. There a spells that are melee or close ranged Smite spells can be used with unarmed strike. Using constitution to help with AC and the hit point department. Maybe do extra damage to creatures in melee(5ft) combat with the sorcerer.

Storm Sorcerer has options at Level 1 as a Bonus Action 10ft disengage after casting, Level 6 to zap all enemies within 10ft for half level when casting, and Level 14 to reaction shock for level damage and push. This seems like a great chassis to start with.

Edit: I forgot to mention!
The level 1 feature pairs really well with rarely chosen spells like Earth Tremor and Thunder wave, and also let's you reposition after casting a buff like Melf's Minute Meteors or anything else.

So the AoE Shock from 6th level can be triggered from using the Shield spell, which is pretty groovy. You can also trigger it twice a round if you cast a spell, bonus action spell, and/or a reaction.

Draconic adds mage armor, wings, and a resist, doesn't seem as useful to me, though still cool.

For survivability, the best mechanical choices would be Githyanki, Lizardfolk, Loxodon, Mountain Dwarf, and Tortle. The biggest upside to Githyanki and Mountain Dwarf would be having eligibility for Moderately Armored +1 STR or Dex (plus a Shield) and Heavily Armored +1 STR respectively. These races would all give you an AC between 15-19 before adding in magic items.

Githyanki Moderately Armored + 14 DEX (+2) + Shield 2 for 19AC
Lizardfolk Scales + 14-20 DEX for 15-18 AC
Loxodon hide + 14-20 CON for 14-17 AC
Mountain Dwarf + Heavily Armored for 18 AC
Tortle 17 AC

Loxodon gains points for buffing hit points and Armor Class at once, and Githyanki has the highest potential AC and could add use a rapier, scimitar or whip if they wanted to.

That's my 2 copper.

DracoKnight
2020-03-28, 01:06 PM
For a melee sorcerer, I would use the Stone Sorcerer from Unearthed Arcana. It was an update to 4th Edition’s Sword Mage. Unfortunately it didn’t make it into Xanathar’s, but I have hope that it’ll make it into a future book. https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/26_UASorcererUA020617s.pdf