PDA

View Full Version : Iron Crisis (OOC)

Pages : [1] 2

Amnestic
2020-03-28, 08:42 AM
Welcome to the OOC thread. The third IC thread is here. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?650029-Iron-Crisis-Pt3-IC)

Second IC thread is here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?621905-Iron-Crisis-Part-2-(IC))

The First IC Thread is here. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?609527-Iron-Crisis-(IC)&p=24424144)

Please pick a speech colour too. I'll be using a variety of them that people don't pick.

Player
Character
Class

RandomWombat
Cheerful Sam (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2157088)
Warlock

Spore
Senna Candlebright (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2158923)
Cleric

purepolarpanzer
Caelyn Syol'arael (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2158173)
Druid

Archmage1
Grok Magmaforge (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1906799)
Paladin

Awful
??? (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2712486)
[S] Fighter

Bobthewizard
Leaf (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2712083)
Ranger/Rogue

The Lord of Murder shall perish
But in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny
Chaos will be sown from their passing
So sayeth the wise Alaundo

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/7/7c/Candlekeep_artwork.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120601093122

Nestled atop the cliffs that rise from the Sword Coast, the citadel of Candlekeep houses the finest and most comprehensive collection of writings on the face of Faerun. It is an imposing fortress, kept in strict isolation from the intrigues that occasionally plague the rest of the Forgotten Realms. It is seculuded, highly regimented, and it is home.

You’re shaken awake one morning. Your foster father, Gorion, tells you that you need to collect your things and prepare for a journey, to meet him by the gates once done. He drops a coinpurse on the table and vanishes out the door. As you shake away the last remnants of sleep, you hear him do the same with your other “siblings”, foster children he’d brought back from who knows where – a childhood before Candlekeep long since forgotten. Sun’s first light is just bleeding through the windows. So much for chores.

For those who've played it - yes, this is an adaptation of Baldur's Gate 1. At least to start with. No guarantees it goes the same way. If you've got no experience with it, great! If you know everything about it, also fine but please don't spoil/metagame for those who haven't and aren't familiar, same with any sort of premade module/adventure.

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
5e

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
Forgotten Realms, specifically the sword coast. Time period is 1368 DR, though if you’re not familiar with the setting I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
3-6

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
Forums. I usually use mythweavers for sheets, but if you’ve got an alternative (dndbeyond) that’s fine too.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
1st level – Milestone leveling. If all goes as planned, expect to reach 10th-11th by end of campaign, just in case that matters

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
Standard character wealth.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
Any classes/archetypes from published stuff. Any homebrew just ask.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
No warforged, but otherwise any FR race, though I might veto if I’ve forgotten something.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
27 Point Buy.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
Not fussed beyond “must be able to work in a group”.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
Allowed, not fussed.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
People will roll their own dice. If you’re forcing a save against someone else, roll in your post to speed things up – can apply modifiers later. I’ll be doing the same.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
Everyone gets a free feat. No real HRs other than that, could change along the way.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
As very young children, you were brought from homes long forgotten to Candlekeep, a fortress-library on the Sword Coast. There you were raised by your foster father (dutiful and kind, though often absent) and the other monks alongside your ‘siblings’, though you weren’t all brought together at the same time. You've not stepped outside the walls since entering, and so Candlekeep is all the life you've ever known. You all know each other, though how close/how much you like one another is entirely up to you.

Max age of 25. Min age of 15. What sort of kid you were beyond that is up to you, and if you can justify a specific Background for a kid raised in candlekeep (eg. Criminal) that’s fine, but some (eg. Sailor, Faction Agent) are going to be off limits for obvious reasons. You might have a soldier background working with the keep guard, or merchant apprenticed to Winthrop the innkeep and learning from passing traders.

I don’t need any long details but if you want to, feel free. A paragraph works fine to hit the high notes of personality/style.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
Hack+slash/RP, probably not much puzzle solving.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
I’ve got most books for 5e, if you’re concerned about anything unusual/UA/homebrew ask. Blood Hunter’s allowed, since that’s a common ask.

Dear Satan.

Even though I was a bit naughty this year, I wish for the following:
- a Bag of Holding for senseless looting
- Heward's Handy Haversack for even MORE senseless looting. I promise not to evoke a rip in space and time if I get both things.
- a necklace of prayer beads. I like my wizard spells, but I have to be there for my family.
- a wand of magic missiles. Did I mention I like wizard spells?

I have many more wishes, that include stat boosting items or magic weapons but frankly they are incredibly silly. For one, +1 items are deadly boring to me. Stuff like Gauntlets of Ogre Strength oddly don't go on the fighter, because his strength is already insane. Then stuff that just clashes with style. Me getting bracers of archery would be insanely good, but I feel Caelee and/or Melian would take affront for me to be elvier than them. Plus some items are just made in such a way that Senna would never keep them for herself.

I like stuff that adds to my tool kit, or take stress out of my in group duties of buffing and healing so I can add other spells. Other than that, in the case of cleric items, I love these insanely divine stuff like candles of invocation, holy avengers, prayer beads or valkyrie helms. Even though in Senna's case, these items would rather be "a book that allows her to cast assorted bard/wizard spells", a statuette that allows her to summon a pegasus, a tabard with her god's holy symbol that allows her to provide bardic inspiration. Or something that shores up her frankly stupid options for Channel Divinity. Maybe just a copy of another cleric domain's ability, that expends the thing like regular, like Protection or Light domain's.

Dear Bahamut Claws,

All I want for Dragonyule is a magical book of jokes that cause funny effects when they are told. I've been a very good boy and only made a bet with a Hellspawn once this year.

Sincerely, Sammy

Translation: A more jester-themed Bard-flavored take on The Grimoire of Questionable Spells, a magic item I've played with once or twice that produces a set number of scrolls for unusual spells each day. They can range from useless to surprisingly helpful.

Aside from the joke item, I don't have any set plans for items I want or am after. I don't know the 5e magic item list very well so I'm happy to take whatever comes my way.

Dear Santa,

I would really like a new staff- a staff of the woodlands, a staff of healing, or some other cool staff that lets me cast more spells.
Along those lines an Ioun Stone of Recovery would be really cool. More spells make Caelee happy.
Alternatively, a longbow that uses Wisdom for attacks and damage rolls would be pretty cool.
Ioun stones are nifty, even if they don't recover spells.
Additional wildshapes (and therefore more summonings) would be rad.
And scrolls and jewelry make great stocking stuffers!

Sincerely,
Caelyn Syol'arael.

- To the Private Secretary of The Wonderworker -

Sir,

While conducting studious research at the renowned learning institution of Candlekeep I found references to your personage across multiple scholarly works dating back several editions. I attach a copy of the most recent article I located but I am confident its description matches that found on even older publications.

It would seem tradition dictates I must first assure you I have strived toward exemplary behavior this past year and, while I may have given in to pranking my siblings on occasion and have indeed shirked my menial duties in favor of more scholarly pursuits, I entreat you to judge me favorably based on the whole of my actions as these have, I believe, yielded a positive net result toward goodness. It must then follow that I have been rendered immune to any coal dispensing for the time being.

This new section should now, as my research indicates, provide a list for material compensation in exchange for the aforementioned "good behavior". I submit said list for your approval; where applicable I have used technical jargon to facilitate understanding.

A magical (and preferably long) sword which can be wielded with finesse. Growing up I have always been partial to Flametongues and particularly Sunblades. I cannot overstate the significance of the Moonblade to my people and culture and would be delighted to be judged worthy or such an item. Researching old editions has also indicated the existence of the Artblade - alas a lost artefact which I hope one day be recovered.
Historically, bladesingers have been clad in light magical elven chainmail. While it seems that modern versions do not allow for a bladesinger to truly display their art perhaps you can manufacture one according to an older formula.
I would certainly not deny that magical elven chainmail may be eschewed in favor of the traditionally arcane white Robe of the Archmagi.
Some nice jewelry may be desirable, such as rings of free action or of spell turning or perhaps an amulet of health.
My cloak is getting a tad threadbare and a nice new cape of the mountebank, cloak of displacement or perhaps of arachnida would replace it nicely.
On the subject of footwear, a pair of slippers of spider climbing might do well to keep my feet warm.
Some reading material would also be great. I've read rave reviews of the Manuals of Bodily Health and Quickness of Action though, truth be told, I would really like a copy of the Tome of Clear Thought.
Perhaps an original first printing of the Tome of the Stilled Tongue?
Ioun stones!
Spell gems!
I would also like to meet more friendly students of the arcane arts who are willing to share spellbooks with me since learning spells from spell scrolls has become insane.

I hope this list has met all tradition requirements and that this missive finds you in good health. I would enjoy the opportunity to discuss the circumstances that led a group of elves to assist you in your endeavors in what seems to read as indentured servitude spanning several centuries but I digress - and leave you now to your works.

Yours faithfully,
Melian Galanodel

Dart +1 (300) – 30gp / 5
Dart +1 of Acid/Ice/Fire (300) – 56gp / 5
Arrow +1 (300) – 30gp / 5
Arrow +1 of Acid/Ice/Fire (300) – 56gp / 5
Bolt +1 (300) – 30gp / 5
Bolt +1 of Acid/Ice/Fire (300) – 56gp / 5
Bullet +1 (300) – 30gp / 5
Bullet +1 of Acid/Ice/Fire (300) – 56gp / 5

'of Acid/Ice/Fire' ammunition deal an extra +1d6 damage of that type on a hit.

Potion of Fire Resistance (3) – 568gp (Resistance to Fire damage for 1 hour. Upgrades existing resistance to Immunity)
Potion of Healing (3) – 50gp
Elixir of Health (3) – 355gp
Potion of Cold Resistance (3) – 355gp (Resistance to Cold damage for 1 hour. Upgrades existing resistance to Immunity)
Potion of Explosions (3) – 639gp (Use an action to throw this potion to a square within 30. Casts Fireball centred on that square with DC12 save)
Potion of Darkvision (3) – 142gp
Potion of Insulation (3) – 241gp (Resistance to Lightning damage for 1 hour. Upgrades existing resistance to Immunity)
Potion of Magic Blocking (3) – 2130gp (Blocks all level 5 or lower spells for 10 rounds, friendly or otherwise, and ends any existing level 5 or lower spell effects currently active)
Potion of Mirrored Eyes (3) – 568gp (Immunity to petrification and gaze attacks for 1 hour)
Potion of Perception (3) – 497gp (Advantage of Perception and Sleight of Hand checks for 8 hours)
Potion of Regeneration (3) - 710gp (Heal 1 HP every 6 seconds for 8 hours)
Potion of Insight (3) – 426gp (Advantage on any Wisdom skill checks for 8 hours)
Potion of Strength (3) – 497gp (Sets your Strength to 18 for 10 rounds)
Potion of Freedom (3) – 355gp (Gain Freedom of Movement for 2 rounds)
Potion Case (1) – 284gp (Extradimensional storage space that works only for potions)

Weave Protection from Acid/Cold/Electricity/Fire/Poison/Undead/Magic (1 of each) – 1065gp

A Weave Scroll can't be scribed and copied into a spellbook, instead representing a true 'one use only' scroll. It can, however, be used by any class with the spellcasting or pact magic ability. The scroll costs an Action to use, and affects you and up to 5 other creatures you choose within 30'.
For the 'elemental' protection scrolls, it gives Resistance to the damage type for 8 hours.
For the 'Undead' protection scroll, it gives Resistance against any and all physical attacks made by any undead creature for 8 hours, and imposes Disadvantage on any attacks made.
The 'Magic' protection scroll is an exception, affecting only the user. It creates a invisible 3' radius globe of anti-magic around the user that travels with them that prevents any and all spells from passing through, and removing any spell effects currently active on the user. It likewise lasts for 8 hours. Note that this cannot be ended early, and will persist even if the target of the scroll dies.
Shocking Grasp (2) – 74gp
Friends (2) – 74gp
Chill Touch (2) – 74gp
Larloch's Minor Drain (2) – 74gp
Grease (2) – 142gp
Mage Armour (2) – 142gp
Burning Hands (2)- 142gp
Charm Person (2) – 142gp
Colour Spray (2) – 142gp
Protection from Petrification (2) – 142gp
Identify (2) – 142gp
Darkvision (3) – 142gp
Magic Missile (2) – 142gp
Protection from Evil and Good (2) – 142gp
Shield (2) – 142gp
Sleep (2) – 142gp
Chromatic Orb (2) – 142gp
Cause Fear (1) – 142gp
Luck (3) – 284gp
Blindness/Deafness (2) - 284gp
Mirror Image (3) – 284gp
Enhance Ability (2) - 284gp
Ray of Enfeeblement (1) – 284gp
Protection from Fear (3) – 284gp
Invisibility (3) – 284gp
Hold Person (3) – 284gp
Hold Undead (3) – 284gp (As Hold Person, except Undead creatures instead of Humanoids)
See Invisibility (3) – 284gp
Flame Arrows (3) – 426gp
Fear (3) - 426gp
Skull Trap (3) – 426gp
Vampiric Touch (3) – 426gp
Minor Spell Deflection (1) – 426gp

Wand of Sleep (1) – 2130gp (7 charges, action to expand 1 charge to cast Sleep. Regain 1d6+1 charges daily at dawn. If you expend the last charge, roll a d20 and on a 1 the wand crumbles)
Wand of Cause Fear (1) – 2840gp (7 charges, action to expand 1 charge to cast Cause Fear, DC15. Regain 1d6+1 charges daily at dawn. If you expend the last charge, roll a d20 and on a 1 the wand crumbles)
The Horn of Kazgaroth (1) – 12780gp (“When you blow the horn, it gives you impeccable defences against enemy attack for a short time, though it does cost you some energy to do so”)
The Claw of Kazgaroth (1) – 14200gp (“A dangerous item, it boosts your defensive powers but saps your life to do so. I've not got quite the stamina to deal with it, or I'd be using it myself.”)
Robe of the Good Archmagi (1) – 29110gp (Can only be attuned by a sorcerer, warlock or wizard of Good alignment)
Robe of the Neutral Archmagi (1) – 29110gp (Can only be attuned by a sorcerer, warlock or wizard of Neutral alignment)

Spore
2020-03-28, 08:57 AM
Senna will pick a dark orange, like the candles she used and uses to study to.

Ramsus
2020-03-28, 09:29 AM
Thrilled I got in! :smallsmile:

Looking over people's sheets now. I'm going to wait till everyone else picks their colors to pick mine (thinking saddle brown, green, or teal but if all those wind up taken it's no big deal). I'd ask nobody pick colors that are too bright please (so not the yellows except Golden Rod anything in the teal line below Teal or Lime) as these ones hurt my eyes. In the case two people want a blue color, royalblue is pretty distinct from the default blues.

Edit: @Amnestic: If you don't mind, I'll be switching Investigation proficiency to Deception since... somehow we wound up with a party without that.
Edit 2: Amnestic, if it's not a spoiler of some kind what languages might be useful to know? I was thinking maybe Dwarven and Undercommon? Those seem feasible given Vyvian's background.

By process of elimination, Vyvian's speech color is Teal.

Amnestic
2020-03-28, 10:12 AM
Edit: @Amnestic: If you don't mind, I'll be switching Investigation proficiency to Deception since... somehow we wound up with a party without that.
Edit 2: Amnestic, if it's not a spoiler of some kind what languages might be useful to know? I was thinking maybe Dwarven and Undercommon? Those seem feasible given Vyvian's background.

[I'll edit my color choice here later.]

Fine to switch skills.

Undercommon may come up far in the future, but languages probably won't be important for a while, so options are fairly open. Then again, languages are rarely a big deal in 5e, for better or worse.

purepolarpanzer
2020-03-28, 11:39 AM
Caelee will speak in Green and would be a great sibling. Just great. Except when she's talking about how adult she is. how she has to watch out for her younger siblings, and when she is running around Candlekeep trying to climb to higher and higher points to stay away from the monks.

EDIT- As far as sibling relationships I think we already established that Aintas and Caelee would both spend time together in whatever passes for nature in Candlekeep. She would also be secretly envious that he was the "first" of our siblings to come to Candlekeep and of his fully developed body, since hers is a bit awkward for her age.

ProudGrognard
2020-03-28, 11:41 AM
Hey everyone, well-met and let's have a good game.

Aintas will be speaking in Saddle Brown.

RandomWombat
2020-03-28, 11:44 AM
Howdy everybody. I noticed we have an almost entirely NG party going on. Just a bunch of good-natured orphans eh? (For now...)

Sam will go with a simple brown, since going with a brighter brass tone would hurt peoples' eyes, my own included.

cigaw
2020-03-28, 12:20 PM
Howdy everyone! Melian will speak in Bolded Blue.

Gonna look at everyone's characters and suggest some connections.

Melian Galanodel

https://i.imgur.com/qYHIIMW.png
Sheet Link: Clicky (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2159322)
Player: cigaw
Speech: Blue

Class: Wizard (Bladesinger)
Background: Inheritor
Race: Elf (Eladrin)
HP: 20
AC: 13
Passive Perception: 13
Speed: 30ft
Initiative: +3

Melian is tall for an Elf and carries herself with typical Elven poise. She has spent her entire life outside of the Feywild and most of the typical markings of the Eladrin have mostly faded - the only telltale signs now left are gleaming silvery hair and piercing eyes often sparkling of edritch blue.

Her possessions are well-tended and her spellbook gleams with care; its pages filled in tidy, controlled script.
Melian is quick to laugh, but does so in a reserved fashion. She is not quick to forget, though. She bears none of the typical Eladrin haughtiness, her upbringing among Gorion's wards and humble monks tempered her wit with kindness.

She finds fulfillment in the Art and in Academic pursuits and will gladly hunker down with a good book by a fire at night.

Sam: Melian is unsure of what to think of Sam's magic. She understands her own Mage abilities and has a theoretical idea of how Clerics and Druids and even Sorcerers get their powers but a Warlock's pact is almost alien to her. And, not that she'll admit it, from what she's read in books it sounds like the easy way out. Fiendish powers aside, she thinks the Half-Dragon is fascinating.
Senna: both academics, Melian finds Senna a kindred spirit and has shared many nights in the Library with her, researching together and discussing theoretical magical texts. Melian even sees herself as tutor figure when it comes to the Weave.
Caelyn: Melian developed feelings of kinship to the other full-blooded elf. While Melian is proud of her own magical skills, she's both jealous and proud of Caelyn's affinity to Nature; something an Eladrin should feel as well. Melian absolutely refuses to call her by the humanized name Caelee.
Vyvian: Melian's very fond of Vyvian; unconsiously seeing the Half-Elf more childlike than she actually is due to her height and human traits. Melian either acts unfazed or like the pranks slightly bother her but she secretly enjoys them. Every now and again, she pranks Vyvian back. Allegedly.
Aintas: Melian has always liked Aintas, finding his discipline in arms admirable though she doesn't think they have all that much in common. Melian and Aintas probably do some sparring together as she starts her path towards the Bladesinging tradition. I'd like to have Aintas teach her how to use a Rapier.

Inspired by her foster father's knowledge of the Art, Melian made especially productive use of her library home, poring over the vast treasury of lore and learning as much as she could. While Gorion was kind enough to teach her the basics, Melian knows nothing can replace real experience and she yearns to travel outside the secluded walls of Candlekeep, hearing the call of adventure every night before she falls asleep.

Melian has no recollection of where she was born. Her memories of her mother are faint - auburn hair the deep color of autumn leaves, a slight scent of spruce and lilac, the soft touch of her embrace and the half-remembered tune of a lullaby she would sing as the stars gleamed in the night sky. She knows nothing of the Feywild and her own people except for what she learned from books. She knows little of how she came to be a ward of Gorion's, except that he knew her mother and felt duty-bound to take an Eladrin babe into his own care; her only tie to this previous life is an ancient tome on the Elven tradition of Bladesingers hastily swaddled together with an infant Melian in a forgotten night of fleeing and despair. Of her father, she has learned nothing.
Fëanáro
https://i.imgur.com/XAa5okS.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/eANjmYo.png

• As Pseudodragon (MM 254) but no attacks and no share Magic Resistance.
Ennama'kaer Ivae - Dawn's First Light
A long, single edged blade with a slight curve to it; the razor edge of the sword seems to cut light itself. At the handguard the metal is tinted the red-orange of a fresh sunrise, slowly giving away as it progresses up the blade into that of a blue at the tip, mixed with the white of clouds. The handguard is circular, carved with imagery of sunrises and halfmoons. The scabbard is hard lacquered wood with colouration matching the blade. It's distinctly eyecatching, even at a glance.

Runes are carved along the length of the weapon - elven, yet when one tries to read them the eyes slip away, unable to focus or grasp their actual meaning. Only one set - the ones furthest from the grip - are legible, spelling out a single name 'Trinastar'. A previous wielder.

Stats:
• Longsword +1;
• Finesse property when wielded with one hand only;
• Bonus Action to summon the blade to hand from any distance and across dimensional planes, even if someone else currently is wielding it.

• In the hands of any other wielder it is treated as a mundane longsword in all respects, though they do feel like they're touching something they shouldn't if they hold it, as if they're deeply violating someone's privacy;
• Though it has no mechanical benefit or hindrance, when you draw the blade from its sheath time seems to slow for a split second, letting you see a moment clearly.
• To learn the rituals to unlock more runes (and information about the previous wielders), you need to succeed on an Intelligence (History) check that can only be made once per long rest. Unlike the tomes/bells, this is a binary pass/fail rather than steady progression, and you can't receive help.

The ritual Vyvian is looking for is described here. After Senna and Melian's deductions, it becomes clear that the primordial writer was more advanced than the draconic writer, and kept some details from them.

To successfully bind an elemental familiar as described, you will need a portion of elemental essence corresponding to the elemental summoned and the appropriately designed ring, along with a few more common ritual implements such as incense and chalk. For an air elemental, the book recommends iron as the base metal, mixed with a small donation of the intended wielder's blood (usually a few drops at most), and insists that the ring's band, while fitting firmly, should have a gap in it to allow for the 'air' to escape.

The ritual itself will take the better part of a day to complete, and for air it recommends an open air location such as a field or clearing.

In addition to the ritual, Melian notes a few spells that she may be able to use in the future. These are:
Elemental Weapon, Protection from Energy, Summon Elemental Spirit (UA), Elemental Bane

More time with the book may reveal more spells, as there's still more to read.

Boreathar was a white dragon of some repute. As the 'lowest' of his chromatic kind, he struggled for many years with the distinct feeling of inferiority. He was cunning, yes, but lacked the raw intelligence to grasp magical theory like his fellows - and especially like the Reds, who he disdained above all others. To this end he sought out other sources of power beyond his own. In both humanoid and dragon form, he spent a good portion of his young life seeking the shortcut that eluded him. His fortune was changed when he came across a young water genasi wizard, who he promptly kidnapped back to his lair. Using her expertise, he learned how to control the elements both directly and indirectly in ways that had previously been denied to him, even summoning full elementals to serve his bidding.

The water genasi died in his captivity after decades of slavery, but by that point he had amassed sufficient power and forces to strike out and set his ambitions in motion. An army of elementals streamed from the mountains he made his home into Thay, a still fledgling country at the time. Boreathar's hopes were cut short however when the leaders of Thay formed a pact with one of his hated red dragons, who killed him in single combat. Bereft of their leader, the elementals rampaged wildly until they were all successfully put down (or in some cases, rebound to a new master).

Boreathar's tome itself was discovered years later, penned by both genasi and Boreathar in tandem, though the wizard's name has been lost to time.

The tome itself is considered uncommon for most libraries, and holds a somewhat esoteric approach to elemental binding that defies conventional wisdom and knowledge, so it's somewhat soft-suppressed by the arcanist community at large.

Between Boreathar's Tome, Gorion's spellbook and the Bells, you've now got three items that pose new research options. Not applicable to this long rest, but for each one going forwards you can give me an arcana (or religion, for the bells, but not both at the same time) check along with your intended research subject for further details and potential boons. Don't expect it all at once though :P

• Gorion's Spellbook: first ward opens with a single keyword. Can be forced open but destroys message to us.
• Boreathar's: Elemental Weapon, Protection from Energy, Summon Elemental Spirit (UA), Elemental Bane
• Moonblade: History check (pass/fail) to identify how to unlock new abilities.

• Replaced Booming Blade Cantrip with Prestidigitation. I can wait a few levels for it.
• Level 2: Absorb Elements, Grease, Arcane Tradition
• Level 3: Mirror Image, Phantasmal Force
• Level 4: +2 INT, Booming Blade, Shadow Blade, Shatter
• Level 5: PB +3, Fireball, Counterspell
- Scribed: Protection from Evil and Good, Invisibility, Skull Trap

purepolarpanzer
2020-03-28, 12:33 PM
I just realized that except for Cheerful Sam Caelee is younger than any other family member. That would drive her crazy, especially since her "little brother" is a massive half-dragon.

EDIT- Oh I just realized that Senna is 17. I guess Caelee does get to be a big sister to someone! Hey, cigaw, do you think it makes sense for my character to look up to yours as an older elf sister?

Ramsus
2020-03-28, 12:51 PM
I'm thinking Vyvian has a good fondness for Aintas as the only other person without their nose constantly in a book of the siblings. Maybe they spar often?

And she plays little pranks on Melian.

Nothing occurs to me immediately for relationships with the younger ones, though I'll be thinking on it and am happily open to suggestions.

purepolarpanzer
2020-03-28, 01:08 PM
I think it would be fun for Vyvian and Caelee to have a bit of a rivalry. They both shoot bows, but Vyvian has more natural talent with sneak attack and a higher dex. Vyvian is one year older but inches shorter, creating an interesting "big sister, little sister" dynamic, and they both sneak out of their rooms at night. When one gets caught and the other doesn't, that would probably breed a little resentment. Seems like the perfect person for Caelee to argue with about who is more mature (of course that shows that Caelee is NOT as mature, but kids don't think that way).

Ramsus
2020-03-28, 01:11 PM
I love this. It's also funny because Vyvian is clearly (to anyone else at least) not even trying to act mature. She's either indulging herself in her immaturity or mature incidentally.

ProudGrognard
2020-03-28, 01:16 PM
I am liking what I see on relationships!

I think that Aintas will be a bit envious of Caelyn for her woodland skills and of Vyvian 's stealth skills. He also knows that he is Melian 's and Sam's intellectual inferior, and he is always trying to balance being the 'big brother' to people twice as smart as he is.

RandomWombat
2020-03-28, 03:19 PM
Sam is probably well known as the unreliable sibling, since he's constantly being hounded for unsettled debts and hanging out with the 'wrong people' in the keep.

It'd have been jarring with him being the youngest, since a lot of his older siblings would have known him as a small hatchling, but he grew very quickly. Now he's taller than most, even as a runt of a half-dragon.

cigaw
2020-03-28, 04:00 PM
Hey, cigaw, do you think it makes sense for my character to look up to yours as an older elf sister?

And she plays little pranks on Melian.
I love both ideas!

Here's my 2cp and I'm absolutely willing to change things up if it doesn't make sense or in the likely event that someone has better ideas!

Sam: Melian is unsure of what to think of Sam's magic. She understands her own Mage abilities and has a theoretical idea of how Clerics and Druids and even Sorcerers get their powers but a Warlock's pact is almost alien to her. And, not that she'll admit it, from what she's read in books it sounds like the easy way out. Fiendish powers aside, she thinks the Half-Dragon is fascinating.
Senna: both academics, Melian finds Senna a kindred spirit and has shared many nights in the Library with her, researching together and discussing theoretical magical texts. Melian even sees herself as tutor figure when it comes to the Weave.
Caelyn: Melian developed feelings of kinship to the other full-blooded elf. While Melian is proud of her own magical skills, she's both jealous and proud of Caelyn's affinity to Nature; something an Eladrin should feel as well. Melian absolutely refuses to call her by the humanized name Caelee.
Vyvian: Melian's very fond of Vyvian; unconsiously seeing the Half-Elf more childlike than she actually is due to her height and human traits. Melian either acts unfazed or like the pranks slightly bother her but she secretly enjoys them. Every now and again, she pranks Vyvian back. Allegedly.
Aintas: Melian has always liked Aintas, finding his discipline in arms admirable though she doesn't think they have all that much in common. Melian and Aintas probably do some sparring together as she starts her path towards the Bladesinging tradition. I'd like to have Aintas teach her how to use a Rapier.

I'll also add these to my initial post.

cigaw
2020-03-28, 04:27 PM
Also, here's something mandatory before we start the IC Thread. (https://youtu.be/93XFxKXdbqY) :smalltongue:

Spore
2020-03-28, 05:24 PM
Sam would unite a familarity with the strange foreignness of a Half-Dragon. He is the only one of his kind we know, and his powers are even stranger, even if his demeanor is not strange but inviting.

I can totally see Melian as a "wizard tutor", that was kinda my thing. I used Tethoril (the mage that gives you Protection from Evil at the start of the game) as my magic teacher tho. It might make sense he taught us both, with Senna's interests quickly going towards helping others rather than the dry research of the arcane.

Caelyn and Senna would have not much in common aside from the basic philosophy of helping people (and/or nature and animals in Caelyn's case). Then again our similar age and naivete could prove to be our strongest uniting factor.

Vyvian would be a nice numbskull in Senna's eyes. A lot of mischief and "curiosity" but no results. She could even get irate when he charms his way out of chores yet again.

I can see Senna nothing short of crushing on Aintas, which is short of weird, but Gorion also never said we shared parents. I am going as far as Grognard is comfortable with this, as it is kinda incest-y. But then, many good fantasy stuff is that, barring the bad BG 2 novel.

Maybe Aintas is best served as a big brother type, and kind of a patient instructor towards melee combat. After all, Senna wears one of the heavier armor types in the group, and while she wields simpler weapons, she needs an efficient instructor as her time is already spread on the arcane, the divine and her leisure reading.

Ramsus
2020-03-28, 05:46 PM
Vyvian is a she Spore.

I think Vyvian has also spent a fair bit of time keeping her younger siblings out of trouble or sometimes getting them into it. Maybe including times when they were getting themselves into trouble they didn't notice. Sam in particular I imagine. Though there might be something with whatever Senna's scandal is if you're open to that Spore?

I'll note that even though Vyvian spent enough time around other orphans, she treats all her siblings like they're her real siblings and would find any relationships between them to be weird and gross. (Though that's not me the player saying don't do it. Just be aware my character will react to it.)

Spore
2020-03-28, 06:16 PM
Maybe you are right, this IS too tasteless for such game. Senna is kind of a teacher's pet so her worst "scandal" would be to get into forbidden areas of the libraries to sate her curious mind. Maybe she could enjoy gossiping about the people in town with Vyvian, comapring their different views on things.

RandomWombat
2020-03-28, 06:33 PM
I guess I might as well do a little bit for each of the siblings as well:

Melian - I don't imagine Sam has confided in many people about the source of his sudden magic. He's probably allowed most of them to continue assuming he's a sorcerer of some kind. He might be a fool but he's not such a fool as to go bragging about getting magical power from a devil.
He'd most likely have confided in Melian about the nature of his magic, her being the resident wizard and one of the older siblings. Asking things like how these things work, what he can do with it, etc.
Vyvian - One thing the two of them share is the value of Charity - he's often in debts himself, so Sam empathizes easily with those in financial trouble. He'd definitely have helped Vyvian here and there with any schemes and pranks she came up with, probably by acting as a distraction.
Senna - Senna would have been a close second, when looking for someone to ask about his abilities. But given Sam being Vyvian's 'partner in crime' a lot of the time, she's probably as annoyed with him as she is with Vyvian.
Caelyn - Sam doesn't get her desire to go out and see the world. He's very relaxed and carefree, and he hasn't gotten bored of living the easy life at the keep yet.
Aintas - Aintas is a big guy. Probably the only person in the keep taller than Sam, besides maybe some of the guards, and definitely broader. Since Aintas is protective and watchful of his siblings, he's probably pulled Sam out of hot water more than once, and Sam owes him for it.

Ramsus
2020-03-28, 06:41 PM
@Spore & RandomWombat: That all sounds good to me. :smallsmile:

cigaw
2020-03-28, 06:44 PM
Melian - I don't imagine Sam has confided in many people about the source of his sudden magic. He's probably allowed most of them to continue assuming he's a sorcerer of some kind. He might be a fool but he's not such a fool as to go bragging about getting magical power from a devil.
He'd most likely have confided in Melian about the nature of his magic, her being the resident wizard and one of the older siblings. Asking things like how these things work, what he can do with it, etc.

You make a fair point about wanting to keep Sam's Patron a secret. I can change Melian's views of Sam to something along the lines of "well, he's half-dragon, makes sense he's a Sorcerer with all that dragon blood and all" if you prefer or, like you suggested, Melian can be Sam's confidant in this matter. She'll be the protective older sister, trying to figure out how to help Sam come to terms with his abilities any way she can. Up to you, don't want my fluff to dictate what your character reveals! :smallsmile:

RandomWombat
2020-03-28, 11:44 PM
You make a fair point about wanting to keep Sam's Patron a secret. I can change Melian's views of Sam to something along the lines of "well, he's half-dragon, makes sense he's a Sorcerer with all that dragon blood and all" if you prefer or, like you suggested, Melian can be Sam's confidant in this matter. She'll be the protective older sister, trying to figure out how to help Sam come to terms with his abilities any way she can. Up to you, don't want my fluff to dictate what your character reveals! :smallsmile:

I think it'd be neat if she's the only one that knows the source of his magic, at least at the start. Probably up until he gets the Chain feature and the Imp familiar manifests. The Draconic Sorcerer shtick will be his cover with everyone else, though he doesn't really 'lie' about it so much as not mention it and act like everything is normal.

ProudGrognard
2020-03-29, 12:54 AM
OK, I think I will do a sibling list of my own. Everyone else did an excellent one, after all.

Sam: People say that Sam is one its kind, but Aintas has no point of comparison. Reptilian or not, he is Aintas' half-brother. He is also one of Aintas' headaches, because he is a trouble magnet, but Aintas knows that Sam has a well-meaning, good soul. On truth, Aintas admired Sam's trouble-free spirit.

Senna: Aintas likes Senna, and they share a likeness for painting, It is to Senna that Aintas shows his sketches. Aintas also relies on Senna's good sense and trustworthiness and she is the one in which he will spill his troubles more easily. Plus, she is as good in wielding armor as he is, and Aintas is both proud and envious of hos she has mastered bith magic and weaponry.

Caelyn: Aintas has spent a great deal of time with Caelyn in the outdoors. She is much better at it than he is. However, for reasons unknown, Aintas believes that he is more wise to the world that Caelyn- he is just as cloistered as she is- and believes that Caelyn does not understand that people can die out there.

Melian: Melian and Aintas are very different, but Aintas has a deep respect for Melian's intelligence and discipline. She almost never gets in trouble and she is always to be found with a book in her lap. From all his siblings, Melian is the one who Aintas can fathom the least. However, Melian came to Aintas a few months ago to ask about using a rapier. Aintas is secretly very proud that he can teach anything to Melian, who seems to know everything. She will be very good with it, too, as in everything she studies.

Vyvian: Vyvian can be as bad as Sam sometimes, but, five times out of ten, she will be the one to help him out of a mess. To Aintas' eyes, it is a shame, because her stealth skills are fantastic and she has an eye for combat, If only she took things more seriously...

Amnestic
2020-03-29, 06:24 AM
IC Thread is now up (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?609527-Iron-Crisis-(IC)&p=24424144)

Giving people time to say goodbyes separately before we head out on our heroes journey. Gonna edit the first post with a link too in a sec.

purepolarpanzer
2020-03-29, 10:55 AM
Thought I'd join the fun and do a siblings list for y'all.

Cheerful Sam- Caelee's little BIG brother. She thinks his magic is really interesting, but frowns on his bad habits. She secretly thinks he just does those things for attention. He's intimidating to most, but she'll never hesitate to wrap her arms around him, feel his scales, and give him a big hug.
Senna- Caelee's little sister. She encourages her studies and love of reading, but they rarely read together. Caelee is always under a tree and never in the library. She likes to tease her sister about her studious nature, but feels strong urges to protect Senna, as though that were her responsibility.
Melian- Caelee's older sister, and the one she feels the strongest kinship with due to their elven blood. She enjoys flaunting elven tradition in front of her sister, but also listens to her tell stories from elven books. They share a passion for magic, but go about it in very different ways.
Vyvian- Caelee loves to bicker and fight with her older sister, and often instigates the shorter half-elf. She feels a distinct rivalry with Vyvian, in archery, in sneaking around the Keep, and in mischief. Deep down she admires her sister's skills and feels envy of her age and experience.
Aintas- Caelee looks up to her older brother a great deal. They always enjoy good walks and talks in the meager natural setting the keep provides, and she always shows the skills she learns from books to him excitedly. She went through a period where she had a bit of a crush on him, but has come to realize she was misplacing those feelings on a brother. He is the one she goes to for protection and a feeling of safety, and loves his hugs.

Spore
2020-03-29, 12:05 PM
Rolling for my [roll0] books from my backstory. As I understand it, you can take books with you from Candlekeep as long as you have copied them from the original and they are not from a forbidden part?

purepolarpanzer
2020-03-29, 12:18 PM
I love both ideas!

Here's my 2cp and I'm absolutely willing to change things up if it doesn't make sense or in the likely event that someone has better ideas!

[LIST]

I love the idea of Melian refusing to call her Caelee. I think it makes a lot of sense for the characters, and I'm going to enjoy roleplaying their different perspectives on being Elves.

cigaw
2020-03-29, 12:59 PM
Dang Ramsus, that's some nice post formatting. I'm gonna steal it!

I like Spore's idea of an RP breakfast. Maybe an impromptu picnic near the gate since half the people are there? Hopefully Vyv brought a pie to share.

Ramsus
2020-03-29, 01:13 PM
Hahaha, that's exactly what I thought when I first stole it. :smallbiggrin:

I'm fine with a communal breakfast. Even though Vyvian *Just* ate. She can probably eat more if we need that for a scene. Because... teenagers.

And she did just steal some stuff from merchants, food could certainly have been part of that.

Edit: Though it kinda sounds like that might be happening while Vyvian is out and about. So don't mind me if that winds up meaning you guys eat without her.
Guess it depends on how long people feel their stuff took to do before getting to their breakfast.

cigaw
2020-03-29, 01:28 PM
Eh, I'm sure it can all be waived by ~suspension of disbelief~ in the name of storytelling. :smallwink:

Ramsus
2020-03-29, 01:38 PM
Fair point, I'll just wait until everyone has posted that they're there so I can show up last. :smallsmile:

Ramsus
2020-03-29, 04:06 PM
Aintas looks around to count heads. "Where's Sam?"
Meanwhile Vyvian is out about town. :smalltongue:

ProudGrognard
2020-03-29, 04:09 PM
Aintas looks around to count heads. "Where's Sam?"
Meanwhile Vyvian is out about town. :smalltongue:

You did write that the end, she comes where the others are.

Ramsus
2020-03-29, 04:32 PM
Sure, but I also said here that I'd show up last because of that. Unless Sam is just going to not show up.

ProudGrognard
2020-03-29, 04:43 PM
Sure, but I also said here that I'd show up last because of that. Unless Sam is just going to not show up.

Hah. You did write that here indeed. But reading your IC, I mixed things up and thought that it was superseded. OK, I will edit.

Spore
2020-03-29, 05:24 PM
Senna is not happy with people being fashionably late. You might want to make the healer like you. :belkar:

RandomWombat
2020-03-29, 05:47 PM
I am alive and writing up a post! Had to do a few chores today, so just now getting a chance to sit down.

Spore
2020-03-30, 06:40 AM
It's a crit? nice [roll0]

Amnestic
2020-03-30, 07:02 AM
Hah! Didn't expect combat to start quite that abruptly. Gonna toss out some initiative rolls and I'll throw up a map in the IC thread in a minute or ten.

Sam: [roll0]
Senna:[roll1]
Caelyn: [roll2]
Melian: [roll3]
Vyvian: [roll4]
Aintas: [roll5]

Enemies: [roll6]

Spore, even if you're not top of the initiative, not gonna cheat you out of a roll *that* dramatic, so that'll open combat.

Edit: That works. We'll open with enemies, followed by Caelyn. Map up shortly.

Spore
2020-03-30, 07:18 AM
I thought it'd be nice that the one time the pacifist thinks about reacting too lately, she is actually the cause for the violence. Plus being a child of [redacted] it could fit.

Amnestic
2020-03-30, 07:24 AM
Gorion: [roll0]

DexSave Priest: [roll1]
DexSave Ogre2: [roll2]
DexSave Bowman: [roll3]
vs 15

Armoured Man:
[roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7]
[roll8] [roll9]

Bowman: [roll10] [roll11]

Ogre1: [roll12]

ProudGrognard
2020-03-30, 07:53 AM
Amenstic, there is a slight problem:

Due to Aintas' feats, one of the ogres would have provoked an AoO when getting in 10ft range as a reaction. If the AoO hit, its speed would drop to 0.

AoO [roll0] dmg [roll1]

I would need to know if that worked to post accordingly

Amnestic
2020-03-30, 07:59 AM
Amenstic, there is a slight problem:

Due to Aintas' feats, one of the ogres would have provoked an AoO when getting in 10ft range as a reaction. If the AoO hit, its speed would drop to 0.

AoO [roll0] dmg [roll1]

I would need to know if that worked to post accordingly

It didn't in this case, saving me having to edit things about!

ProudGrognard
2020-03-30, 08:11 AM
It didn't in this case, saving me having to edit things about!

:smallcool::smallsmile:

ProudGrognard
2020-03-30, 08:19 AM
OK, I hope that the flashback was not too much of a bother.

Poor Aintas, he has rolled four times and he has rolled two 4s and two 5s. I don;t think he will last...

Spore
2020-03-30, 08:55 AM
I assume my action was done for the turn?

For all the time I played Pathfinder and 5e, I am still confused if starting off combat gives you an extra action.

Amnestic
2020-03-30, 09:04 AM
I assume my action was done for the turn?

For all the time I played Pathfinder and 5e, I am still confused if starting off combat gives you an extra action.

In this instance at least, you've got another turn.

purepolarpanzer
2020-03-30, 11:12 AM
Scimitar damage- [roll0] . I kinda wish I did 1d20 damage, but I think that'd be a bit outrageous :smallbiggrin:

RandomWombat
2020-03-30, 11:46 AM
Poor Aintas, he has rolled four times and he has rolled two 4s and two 5s. I don;t think he will last...

Only if he continues to stay dangerously close to a certain armored man... :smallwink:

Spore
2020-03-30, 11:59 AM
I am just trying to gauge Sarevok with different attacks. Surely the guy that swung a twohander with one arm thrice in a few seconds is dying to poor dice luck in a few rounds.

Ramsus
2020-03-30, 12:14 PM
Amnestic, I don't know if you'd be interested in this, but if you make maps using google spreadsheets then people can move themselves about so there's not confusion about where people are (this tends to become more and more important the higher level a party gets).

Here's an example: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a9DTDqVWYWQlJBKL8HmyUwjftMfUgNxAfO0CzyjSjDQ/edit?usp=sharing

I don't mind if you just make a copy if you're interested.

Though I understand if you're not because you've already got a whole set of maps set up or something like that.

RandomWombat
2020-03-30, 12:35 PM
Using roll20 purely for the map is also something I've seen games do, if you don't want to sacrifice aesthetic.

ProudGrognard
2020-03-30, 01:22 PM
Only if he continues to stay dangerously close to a certain armored man... :smallwink:

I don't remember the game at all, so if I should know that, I don't. The goal was the cleric though. And I expected that with two attacks, at least one would have hit.

ProudGrognard
2020-03-30, 01:27 PM
@Ramsus

But of course I messed up the names. Trying to post with one hand carrying a toddler did not help a bit.

cigaw
2020-03-30, 01:56 PM
I’m definitely treating Melian as being overwhelmed and not reacting optimally on the first round.

If we survive to fight another round we can coordinate and focus fire. :smalltongue:

Amnestic
2020-03-30, 02:00 PM
I am just trying to gauge Sarevok with different attacks. Surely the guy that swung a twohander with one arm thrice in a few seconds is dying to poor dice luck in a few rounds.

Yeah, I think you've almost got him!

Amnestic, I don't know if you'd be interested in this, but if you make maps using google spreadsheets then people can move themselves about so there's not confusion about where people are (this tends to become more and more important the higher level a party gets).

Here's an example: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a9DTDqVWYWQlJBKL8HmyUwjftMfUgNxAfO0CzyjSjDQ/edit?usp=sharing

I don't mind if you just make a copy if you're interested.

Though I understand if you're not because you've already got a whole set of maps set up or something like that.

Tempting, but I'm kinda attached to the

aesthetic.

of what I've got :D

Gorion: [roll0]
ArmourSave: [roll1]
OgreSave: [roll2]

Armoured Man:
[roll3] [roll4]
[roll5] [roll6]
[roll7] [roll8]

Ogre1: [roll9] [roll10]
Ogre2: [roll11] [roll12]

Cleric: [roll13] [roll14] [roll15]

purepolarpanzer
2020-03-30, 02:05 PM
@Ramsus

But of course I messed up the names. Trying to post with one hand carrying a toddler did not help a bit.

Caelee will forgive her older brother... if she survives :smallbiggrin:

RandomWombat
2020-03-30, 05:28 PM
Darn, thought we might be able to steal Sarevok's sword if I got him to drop it. Was worth a shot.

cigaw
2020-03-30, 11:57 PM
Oh, forgot about this. Here's a d20 to try and identify whatever it is we heard howling in the woods:

[roll0].

Not sure what skill, if any, applies.

purepolarpanzer
2020-03-31, 12:49 AM
Oh, forgot about this. Here's a d20 to try and identify whatever it is we heard howling in the woods:

[roll0].

Not sure what skill, if any, applies.

Same, in case it is nature. [roll0]

Spore
2020-03-31, 07:27 AM
Please tell me if I am being overly dramatic. I just felt it was appropriate for such a sheltered kid like Senna.

Amnestic
2020-03-31, 07:47 AM
(Over)dramatic is good!

purepolarpanzer
2020-03-31, 10:08 AM
Did Gorion give us extra money or is that already accounted for in our starting gold? Because I spent all my starting gold :smallwink:

Spore
2020-03-31, 10:22 AM
I mean we will return to plunder his remains lay his body to rest, right?

Amnestic
2020-03-31, 01:46 PM
Did Gorion give us extra money or is that already accounted for in our starting gold? Because I spent all my starting gold :smallwink:

Factored into your starting gold I'm afraid. Not much call for candlekeep denizens to carry around bedrolls, torches and rations ya know.

Edit: Are you plunderingrecovering/burying Gorion's body? Probably best to come to an agreement on that one.

ProudGrognard
2020-03-31, 02:02 PM
As a player, I think we should. But I did not think Aintas would do it.

But informally, we should.

purepolarpanzer
2020-03-31, 02:38 PM
Caelyn is practical enough to take a look, but wouldn't know what might be of more or less value. OOC I want da loot.

cigaw
2020-03-31, 02:42 PM
Oh, we have to do something about Gorion's body. Either take it back to Candlekeep or bury it where it lies.

edit: So as to not double-post I've done some rolls here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24428569&postcount=843):
• Stealth: 11
• Perception: 19
• Investigation: 23

My suggestion is we scope out the bodies real quick, camp out somewhere safe, bury the body tomorrow morning and then beeline to the Friendly Arm Inn.

Melian will gladly Detect Magic on all recovered items. :smallsmile:

Ramsus
2020-03-31, 05:19 PM
I..... what are you guys doing!? Vyvian just said you couldn't leave his body there. Not act like murder-hobos and loot it but leave the body behind so we can't bury it. Just take the whole body. You can search it before we do the burial, rather than when things are hunting us in the woods. It takes way more effort and time to search through his things in the darkness than it does to just pick the dang thing up and take it with you. :smallconfused:

Seriously, she will probably stab you if she turns around and sees you guys are taking five minutes to rifle through his belongings and then leave the body behind instead of the 6 seconds it should take you guys to just pick it up and run with it.

Edit: Actually screw it I'll just do an IC post on this subject since apparently there were a half dozen posts about sitting there not picking up the body and ignoring that things are actively in the woods that are threats to us while you all just sit there.

Edit 2: I apologize if that was a bit much. I actually found myself getting a bit upset on my character's behalf. *shrug*

Spore
2020-03-31, 05:30 PM
Have you ever carried someone, even a frail-ish old man? Even with a relatively well build, this stuff is exhausting. Then again, if we play without the carrying capacity siderule, his weight is of no concern. (If we do, I need to reconsider Senna's armor choice anyhow.)

I kinda want a decision on how hard it is. Are we going realistic, or are we going BG realistic that it is just an item of considerable weight in your inventory.

Ramsus
2020-03-31, 05:45 PM
Have you ever tried to pull out and sort the belongings of a dead body in the dark in the wilderness? That also takes a bit of time and effort.

Though more to the point, Vyvian doesn't care if it's hard to carry the body. There's several people to do it and it's the man who raised her and all of them. She'd be demanding you do it if he was built like a body builder and on fire.

purepolarpanzer
2020-03-31, 05:46 PM
I..... what are you guys doing!? Vyvian just said you couldn't leave his body there. Not act like murder-hobos and loot it but leave the body behind so we can't bury it. Just take the whole body. You can search it before we do the burial, rather than when things are hunting us in the woods. It takes way more effort and time to search through his things in the darkness than it does to just pick the dang thing up and take it with you. :smallconfused:

Seriously, she will probably stab you if she turns around and sees you guys are taking five minutes to rifle through his belongings and then leave the body behind instead of the 6 seconds it should take you guys to just pick it up and run with it.

Edit: Actually screw it I'll just do an IC post on this subject since apparently there were a half dozen posts about sitting there not picking up the body and ignoring that things are actively in the woods that are threats to us while you all just sit there.

Edit 2: I apologize if that was a bit much. I actually found myself getting a bit upset on my character's behalf. *shrug*

I get where you are coming from, but Caelyn has an 8 Stength, as does Melian. If someone is going to haul the body, someone with a strength score has to volunteer.

Amnestic
2020-03-31, 05:53 PM
Have you ever carried someone, even a frail-ish old man? Even with a relatively well build, this stuff is exhausting. Then again, if we play without the carrying capacity siderule, his weight is of no concern. (If we do, I need to reconsider Senna's armor choice anyhow.)

I kinda want a decision on how hard it is. Are we going realistic, or are we going BG realistic that it is just an item of considerable weight in your inventory.

I usually play loose with it - as long as you're not trying to carry adamantine doors around I'm not going to look too closely at how much you're carrying for equipment. Likewise if you want to have a few of you carry Gorion between you, that's totally reasonable, even with the not-high strength scores of the group (excepting Aintas). Problem shared is a problem halved and all that.

Let's keep IC and OOC reasonably separate guys.

Ramsus
2020-03-31, 05:54 PM
Let's keep IC and OOC reasonably separate guys.

Yup, sorry about that. Entirely my bad. :smalleek:

RandomWombat
2020-03-31, 07:06 PM
I'd figured our plan was to find shelter and come back for the body later.

ProudGrognard
2020-04-01, 12:25 AM
AIntas volunteered. I think he can carry him.

cigaw
2020-04-01, 12:52 AM
Yikes, I think we're all talking across each other but trying to accomplish the same thing. I do apologize for my part in trying to get a post out quickly before work and glossing over some IC stuff - my understanding was we'd bury the body.

We'll hit our stride as a group soon; growing pains and all that. :smallsmile:

Ramsus
2020-04-01, 01:39 AM
If possible I'd like to have a scene between Vyvian and Aintas at some point later when they would have stopped moving, at least for a few minutes.

ProudGrognard
2020-04-01, 03:55 AM
If possible I'd like to have a scene between Vyvian and Aintas at some point later when they would have stopped moving, at least for a few minutes.

Why not now? It could be that they stopped to get water. After all, few minute stops could happen at any time.

ProudGrognard
2020-04-01, 03:57 AM
Yikes, I think we're all talking across each other but trying to accomplish the same thing. I do apologize for my part in trying to get a post out quickly before work and glossing over some IC stuff - my understanding was we'd bury the body.

We'll hit our stride as a group soon; growing pains and all that. :smallsmile:

It sort of happens in PbP doesn't it? We don't have time to deliberate too much, so we post and iron things out as we go.

Amnestic
2020-04-01, 07:23 AM
Trying to get an IC post out but forums are acting up a bit, bear with me.

ProudGrognard
2020-04-01, 07:56 AM
How long has our party traveled? Have we crossed, for example, to the north?

Survival check [roll0] Also, Aintas has the wanderer feature where "You have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you. In addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth."
That should help, right? Perhaps he has found food and water for the party as they moved?

EDIT: Poor Aintas. Now a 6!

Spore
2020-04-01, 09:07 AM
Senna has blessed Aintas. I thought you'd want to make an Athletics check for Gorion, but apparently you did not need it. Maybe use the d4 to improve your survival result then?

cigaw
2020-04-01, 09:46 AM
Holding off on an IC post for a couple questions:

1. Does Melian identify the pin or know anything about it? If needed, History/Arcana: [roll0]

2. Can Melian keep and/or copy from Gorion's spellbook? Perfectly ok if not, I'm not sure how this might affect balance even if Melian can't cast most of the spells just yet. If that's the case I can come up with an excuse for not using it like it erased itself after his death or something like "Gorion must be buried with it like a warrior with his weapons".

Haven't seen that map in a veeeeeery long time lol :smallbiggrin:

Amnestic
2020-04-01, 10:17 AM
How long has our party traveled? Have we crossed, for example, to the north?

Survival check [roll0] Also, Aintas has the wanderer feature where "You have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you. In addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth."
That should help, right? Perhaps he has found food and water for the party as they moved?

EDIT: Poor Aintas. Now a 6!

You're around here:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/694162563092578364/694925717225472030/unknown.png

Most of the travel was by road, but you've deviated a bit at night (both with and without Gorion). You're looking at about half a day's travel to High Hedge, a day or so for Beregost, and 1.5-2 days for Friendly Arm Inn. Assuming no further detours.

And yeah you could have scrounged up food/water on the journey from Candlekeep.

Holding off on an IC post for a couple questions:

1. Does Melian identify the pin? If needed, History/Arcana: [roll0]

2. Can Melian keep and/or copy from Gorion's spellbook? Perfectly ok if not, I'm not sure how this might affect balance even if Melian can't cast most of the spells just yet. If that's the case I can come up with an excuse for not using it like it erased itself after his death or something like "Gorion must be buried with it like a warrior with his weapons".

Haven't seen that map in a veeeeeery long time lol :smallbiggrin:

It's a very old, well worn pin of the Harpers, a semi-secret organisation of do-gooders who operate up and down the Sword Coast primarily fighting villains and stopping schemes

Spellbook is magically locked, apparently to Gorion. It's the sort of thing that could be undone with time and study if you want to make the effort.

Spore
2020-04-01, 10:26 AM
I am intentionally slowing down my posting rate to reduce our discord and to give others a chance to post.

ProudGrognard
2020-04-01, 11:26 AM
So, since we need two days to get to the inn, I say we find a spot to camp and then push on, off the road. Since we do not know what the other places are, I vote we keep off them.

purepolarpanzer
2020-04-01, 02:45 PM
So, since we need two days to get to the inn, I say we find a spot to camp and then push on, off the road. Since we do not know what the other places are, I vote we keep off them.

Seconded. Might as well head straight to the plot Friendly Arms Inn and follow our father's last wishes. I am also trying not to post too frequently, though it is hard. I'm out of work for another 30 days due to a state of emergency, and I've little else to do. If Caelyn seems very responsive and talkative, you can thank Covid-19.

RandomWombat
2020-04-01, 04:21 PM
Yeah, straight to the Arm sounds good to me. It doesn't make sense IC to go wandering off to poke all the plot points before we talk to the Harpers.

cigaw
2020-04-01, 04:32 PM
Agreed to head over to the FAI.

Edit: can I get a Preemptive Detect Magic ritual at everything within 30’, please? Special emphasis on the spellbook and letter, in case there’s something like an arcane mark.

Amnestic
2020-04-02, 05:30 AM
Let me know when you're all ready to move on to next day after the appropriate long rest.

Also welcome to level 2 - don't expect to level after every fight, 1-3 always goes fast for me though. Roll for HP, reroll any 1s or 2s.

The spellbook has a heavy Abjuration pulse around it, probably the result of the spell that's keeping its pages shut.

The pin has traces of magic though any spells are long since faded - perhaps an enchantment was there originally and wore off, or it's just residual magic from being close to Gorion for so long.

Letter is non-magical.

ProudGrognard
2020-04-02, 06:09 AM
Let me know when you're all ready to move on to next day after the appropriate long rest.

Also welcome to level 2 - don't expect to level after every fight, 1-3 always goes fast for me though. Roll for HP, reroll any 1s or 2s.

Yay! [roll0] reroll of needed [roll1]

Spore
2020-04-02, 07:56 AM
[roll0] (I am much more a fan of taking average but hey).

Spore
2020-04-02, 08:00 AM
Reroll is needed [roll0]

Ramsus
2020-04-02, 11:17 AM
May those of us who wish to please take the average instead of rolling?

Edit 2: Is Cunning Action: Aim ok for me to take? It's from the Feature Variants UA which gives every class a few more features/options for features.

Edit: Also given the recent forum difficulties some people are having, if anyone would like to add me on Discord in case the forum explodes again... I'm Ramsus#5188 there. You can also just do that if you feel like instead of because you're worried about the forum. *shrug*

RandomWombat
2020-04-02, 11:39 AM
Oh boy, Invocations time. Picking up Repelling Blast since it energizes well with Aintas, and Devil's Sight because in my experience superior darkvision is the best invocation.
I'm ready to bury Gorion and hit the road in the morning when everyone else is.

Hit points: [roll0]
In case of 1 or 2: [roll1]

cigaw
2020-04-02, 12:08 PM

The spellbook has a heavy Abjuration pulse around it, probably the result of the spell that's keeping its pages shut.

The pin has traces of magic though any spells are long since faded - perhaps an enchantment was there originally and wore off, or it's just residual magic from being close to Gorion for so long.

Letter is non-magical.
Many thanks for the Detect Magic info. Melian will definitely keep Gorion's spellbook and try to study it.

@Amnestic, in the recruitment thread you had mentioned rolling for HP with min of average (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24416335&postcount=63). Not sure if you forgot or decided to change it up, either way is fine by me. :smallsmile:

In any case, here's [roll0] and another [roll1] if I need it.

e: I can feel that second roll mocking me :smallyuk:

Gonna update the sheet and work on an IC post.

purepolarpanzer
2020-04-02, 01:57 PM

[/SPOILER]

Yay! Level 2! So now I need to ask a question. I found an Unearthed Arcana Druid Circle that I'd really like to try, but of course I want approval first. It's the Wildfire Druid, found here. (https://media.wizards.com/2019/dnd/downloads/UA-TwilightFireNames.pdf). Ramsus pointed me in it's direction. If it's not ok, I can easily go with Circle of the Land, but it can't hurt to ask.

Either way, I'll roll HP, and see what you've got to say about Cigaw's question on half being the minimum.

[roll0] and a reroll just in case [roll1] .

cigaw
2020-04-02, 02:09 PM
Melian's sheet is updated. I picked up Absorb Elements to set her up on her path of being a magical dodge tank eventually and Grease to give Aintas and Vyv something to help with getting sneak attacks and OAs. :smallbiggrin:

e: me english wording good =)

Spore
2020-04-02, 02:25 PM
I will remove my last two posts as per request. Next time just deal with something like that OOC. You can assume Senna being around somewhere, being all bookish. (I hope the forum will calm down.)

Ramsus
2020-04-02, 02:42 PM
You.... should probably have not done that. I didn't ask you to and now I've already made two posts that exist in a continuity where those posts happened. Given the way the forum is behaving I have no desire to ret-con the entire last scene (especially as it would require everyone else to re-do their posts).

cigaw
2020-04-02, 03:17 PM
If I may make a suggestion since it seems tempers have flared a bit and posting hasn't really perfectly gelled yet: let's take a breath and cut to burying the body.

PBP is challenging in that it's surprisingly easy to overlook small things, nothing happens in real time and we often have limited to no indication of tone when someone posts.

We often take liberties with other PCs to move a scene along in PBP because it takes so long but people have different styles. Right now I believe nobody has done anything to deliberately annoy anyone else. I also think this is a solid lineup of characters and the current back and forth still makes sense with a bunch of violently re-orphaned teenagers/young adults.

Maybe it's worthwhile to make a Discord server to hash out tactics and goals in real time instead of relying on the Forums? If so, my username is cigaw#3896

Happy gaming, everyone. :smallsmile:

Spore
2020-04-02, 03:40 PM
Yes, I agree that ending this night scene would be best. I will not add nor remove any further posts, as I am not willing to loose any sleep over such a game. The only thing I ask is that you might dial back the liberties in creating your own scenes. That menas everyone including me.

It will take a bit of depth away, but we cannot afford to follow six separate storylines, but we should fixate on being a group. I am sorry for having overreacted but maybe we should act as an RPG party, not a main character with followers.

Amnestic
2020-04-02, 03:58 PM
Many thanks for the Detect Magic info. Melian will definitely keep Gorion's spellbook and try to study it.

@Amnestic, in the recruitment thread you had mentioned rolling for HP with min of average (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24416335&postcount=63). Not sure if you forgot or decided to change it up, either way is fine by me. :smallsmile:

In any case, here's [roll0] and another [roll1] if I need it.

e: I can feel that second roll mocking me :smallyuk:

Gonna update the sheet and work on an IC post.

I forgot. I checked my Big 16 offline notes and didn't find any mention of it. So yeah, HP is roll with minimum of average after all. My bad.

May those of us who wish to please take the average instead of rolling?

Edit 2: Is Cunning Action: Aim ok for me to take? It's from the Feature Variants UA which gives every class a few more features/options for features.

Edit: Also given the recent forum difficulties some people are having, if anyone would like to add me on Discord in case the forum explodes again... I'm Ramsus#5188 there. You can also just do that if you feel like instead of because you're worried about the forum. *shrug*

See above for the HP, CA: Aim looks fine to me. Kinda wish they'd made that baseline.

Yay! Level 2! So now I need to ask a question. I found an Unearthed Arcana Druid Circle that I'd really like to try, but of course I want approval first. It's the Wildfire Druid, found here. (https://media.wizards.com/2019/dnd/downloads/UA-TwilightFireNames.pdf). Ramsus pointed me in it's direction. If it's not ok, I can easily go with Circle of the Land, but it can't hurt to ask.

Either way, I'll roll HP, and see what you've got to say about Cigaw's question on half being the minimum.

[roll0] and a reroll just in case [roll1] .

After reading about this one I'm going to say yes. Little bit concerned about the spirit but we'll see how it plays out. That's what UA's for, right?

You.... should probably have not done that. I didn't ask you to and now I've already made two posts that exist in a continuity where those posts happened. Given the way the forum is behaving I have no desire to ret-con the entire last scene (especially as it would require everyone else to re-do their posts).

I'm gonna try to draw a line under this situation - might be best to leave the posts as they are and just wrap up for bed for a fresh start "in the morning".

...and while I was writing this and doing other stuff others have suggested it. Fashionably late, as always. :smallcool:

cigaw
2020-04-02, 04:07 PM
I forgot. I checked my Big 16 offline notes and didn't find any mention of it. So yeah, HP is roll with minimum of average after all. My bad.

[...]

I'm gonna try to draw a line under this situation - might be best to leave the posts as they are and just wrap up for bed for a fresh start "in the morning".

...and while I was writing this and doing other stuff others have suggested it. Fashionably late, as always. :smallcool:
Thanks and thanks!

Let me know how you want to handle Gorion's spellbook. I'm fine with it being anything from a full-on sidequest to "due to your continued efforts the spellbook springs open at this incredibly convenient moment". Melian's first stab at it will be studying it as part of her rest, similar to identifying magic items.

Come morning Melian will share her findings on the pin and non-magicality of Gorion's possessions.

purepolarpanzer
2020-04-02, 04:15 PM
I'll miss not having a communal burial scene, but it may be for the best to "the next day" the situation.

Amnestic
2020-04-02, 04:35 PM
Thanks and thanks!

Let me know how you want to handle Gorion's spellbook. I'm fine with it being anything from a full-on sidequest to "due to your continued efforts the spellbook springs open at this incredibly convenient moment". Melian's first stab at it will be studying it as part of her rest, similar to identifying magic items.

Come morning Melian will share her findings on the pin and non-magicality of Gorion's possessions.

I've got an idea for it to open plot-related down the line but I'm gonna keep it to myself for now. Melian's probably got enough sidequest stuff with his Inheritor shenanigans!

I'll throw up an IC post early tomorrow morning (UK time) to give people a last chance to RP going to bed if they so wish, but if not, well bed and sleep is assumed.

cigaw
2020-04-02, 04:38 PM
I've got an idea for it to open plot-related down the line but I'm gonna keep it to myself for now. Melian's probably got enough sidequest stuff with his Inheritor shenanigans!
Not a problem!

Guess we can do the burial scene before calling it!

purepolarpanzer
2020-04-02, 05:01 PM
Here's what Caelee's wildfire spirit will look like. I'd post it as an image but it doesn't seem to be working for me right now.

Bokono, Wildfire Spirit (https://assets.echomtg.com/magic/cards/cropped/111634.hq.jpg)

I'm planning on roleplaying the first summoning being in the morning before we leave camp. Caelee has some pretty dire thinking to do about life and death, but as a druid she can fall back on the great circle of life.

Ramsus
2020-04-02, 05:15 PM
CA: Aim looks fine to me. Kinda wish they'd made that baseline.

That's how I feel about a lot of the stuff in that particular UA.

Fashionably late, as always. :smallcool:

Honestly that's the best place for the GM usually. I've seen way too many cases of a GM trying to step in to some kind of drama and causing the situation to explode instead of fizzle out. *shrug*

Rolling for HP: [roll0]

RandomWombat
2020-04-02, 10:47 PM
I'm cool with cutting to morning. Been trying to post about helping to dig, but the forum craps itself every time, so I'll just wait till the next scene to post again.

ProudGrognard
2020-04-02, 11:26 PM
In my experience, in PbP games, when in doubt, move the plot forward.

Amnestic
2020-04-03, 04:15 AM
Feel free to do a spot of pre-meeting travel RP on the road but I'm looking to move the convo along this evening (for me).

I should have probably asked this before but what timezones are you guys in? We'll all be back to work eventually I expect so would be good to know when posting is likely to happen relative to me.

ProudGrognard
2020-04-03, 04:26 AM
Feel free to do a spot of pre-meeting travel RP on the road but I'm looking to move the convo along this evening (for me).

I should have probably asked this before but what timezones are you guys in? We'll all be back to work eventually I expect so would be good to know when posting is likely to happen relative to me.

UTT+2 for me. Athens, Greece.

Spore
2020-04-03, 04:35 AM
UTC +1 Berlin/Germany.

cigaw
2020-04-03, 09:40 AM
Currently UTC-7; California, USA.

RandomWombat
2020-04-03, 10:49 AM
UTC -6, but in Canada. So we don't have DST and it's more like I'm in UTC -7 to most people. I think. I'm still not entirely sure how DST works.

Spore
2020-04-03, 11:02 AM
Our group: "These wanderers are weird. We do not trust them."
Also our group: We must immediately tell them about our professions, destination, maybe our favorite color., :smallbiggrin:

purepolarpanzer
2020-04-03, 11:10 AM
Eastern Standard US time here. Generally on a real week with work I post in the mornings and evenings.

RandomWombat
2020-04-03, 11:14 AM
I will happily take his potions and then neglect to pay him back later.

Ramsus
2020-04-03, 11:43 AM
Currently UTC-7; California, USA.

Same here.

purepolarpanzer
2020-04-03, 11:53 AM
I hope I didn't take too many liberties with creating the scene of Caelee's first summoning of her wildfire elemental. I wanted to make it mystical and a little spectacular. Normally I would leave setting the scene up for the DM, but I also don't want to take several days IRL to roleplay through it. If anything needs to be edited or cut down, just let me know.

Spore
2020-04-03, 12:18 PM
Personally I feel you don't need to use a wildshape to "show it off" when all you did was rp this. Other than that, I feel a much more dramatic revealk of new powers would be a combat since most of these powers are linked to fighting. :)

But a clearer picture of the creeping trailblazer would be this one: https://static2.mtgarena.pro/mtg/pict/creeping-trailblazer-m20--art-mtga.png

Though technically this card is called Wildfire Elemental: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/21/c9/6e/21c96e47ff9faccb90387f65af7473b1.png

Ramsus
2020-04-03, 03:42 PM
No response to thieves' cant. Well that's... maybe a good sign. *shrug*
Still super shady guys though.

Spore
2020-04-03, 03:55 PM
I would like to do a History check on the robe's man's tattooes. [roll0] While Melian is slightly better at that, I think I could have a better chance as a Deneir cleric being all about glyphs, symbols and pictures.

Amnestic
2020-04-03, 04:09 PM
Shady people aren't limited to rogues, for better or worse :p

If the face paint/tattoos do have significant meaning it's not any you're aware of. They may just be the scribblings of a madman. Or a jester. Same thing really.

cigaw
2020-04-04, 12:46 PM
So Melian is planning on summoning an Owl familiar. If we can stop for the 1h ritual before investigating we can scout with the familiar, though frankly I think it'd be a stretch IC so I didn't suggest it there.

If possible I'd like for Melian to have a lil scene with Caelyn when we stop to camp later on so we can finish up the talk about Correllen and the others. :smallsmile:

Spore
2020-04-04, 12:57 PM
So Melian is planning on summoning an Owl familiar. If we can stop for the 1h ritual before investigating we can scout with the familiar, though frankly I think it'd be a stretch IC so I didn't suggest it there.

Senna has a familiar as well (they're just so damn useful!) though mine does not fly (https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Cat#content). But that is a thing I wanted to discuss before the game started but we were so damn excited for the game to start.

An arcana cleric has a good part of wizard abilities doubled upon. Expecially with my lean towards wizard spells via ritual caster AND magic initiate. Please tell me before I step onto your toes too much with my setup. I realize it might be too late to switch about my feats, but if you feel this cannot stand for a longer time, tell me.

ProudGrognard
2020-04-04, 01:18 PM
How would everyone feel about a Discord channel?

cigaw
2020-04-04, 01:19 PM
Senna has a familiar as well (they're just so damn useful!) though mine does not fly (https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Cat#content). But that is a thing I wanted to discuss before the game started but we were so damn excited for the game to start.

An arcana cleric has a good part of wizard abilities doubled upon. Expecially with my lean towards wizard spells via ritual caster AND magic initiate. Please tell me before I step onto your toes too much with my setup. I realize it might be too late to switch about my feats, but if you feel this cannot stand for a longer time, tell me.
Oh, I forgot about your familiar!

Not a problem, more wizarding power is more better. :smalltongue:

How would everyone feel about a Discord channel?
I'm down.

Ramsus
2020-04-04, 01:25 PM
I'd be greatly in favor of a discord channel for OOC stuff yeah.

Spore
2020-04-04, 02:05 PM
There ya go: https://discord.gg/7QkdJG

Amnestic
2020-04-04, 03:33 PM
I'm in the discord now but could everyone who's going to scout out the smoke give me some stealth+perception checks.

ProudGrognard
2020-04-04, 04:13 PM
Hah, apparently I cannot accept an invitation from my tablet. Tomorrow then, from my PC.

ProudGrognard
2020-04-05, 11:35 PM
And the stellar rolls continue for Aintas.

Amnestic
2020-04-06, 05:05 PM
[roll0]

Don't mind me

purepolarpanzer
2020-04-07, 12:08 AM
Forgot to roll perception for Caelee's watch. I'll roll it here. [roll0]

Ramsus
2020-04-07, 02:08 AM
I never thought to either.
Perception: [roll0]

Amnestic
2020-04-07, 05:17 PM
[roll0]

Don't mind this.

RandomWombat
2020-04-09, 12:21 PM
Ah yes, the old 'GitP dice roller can't handle previews' problem.

Intimidate:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Spore
2020-04-12, 06:37 AM
Religion [roll0] considering the cleric's holy symbol if I saw it.

Amnestic
2020-04-12, 08:16 AM
The symbol was a large lung dragon coiled around a large, black-bladed sword - the symbol of Chan Cheng, one of the Nine Immortals of Kara Tur, the god of bravery, war, martial arts and combat.

Amnestic
2020-04-12, 05:36 PM
Posting here as well as discord - can I get a Perception (Listen) check from everyone thank you thank you

[roll0]

Spore
2020-04-12, 05:36 PM
Scouring the room: [roll0] (Insight or Perception, as you want)

Preemptive Listen check: [roll1]

Ramsus
2020-04-12, 05:46 PM
Listen: [roll0]

cigaw
2020-04-12, 06:16 PM
Melian's Perception: 1d20+3] gaaaaah it's a 9 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24448379&postcount=853)

edit: linked non-messed up dice roll. :smallmad:

RandomWombat
2020-04-12, 06:34 PM
[roll0] to fail to listen.

purepolarpanzer
2020-04-12, 10:12 PM
Caelee rolls a [roll0] listen check.

ProudGrognard
2020-04-12, 11:36 PM
Perception [roll0]

Also Aintas rolled an Insight check some time ago, but perhaps it is not important anymore.

cigaw
2020-04-14, 11:27 AM
Initiative: [roll0]

Gah caught unaware again :smallfurious:

RandomWombat
2020-04-14, 11:43 AM
Initiative roll: [roll0]

ProudGrognard
2020-04-14, 11:57 AM
Initiative [roll0]

EDIT: Go Aintas!

purepolarpanzer
2020-04-14, 12:20 PM
Forgot that if I reserve a post I cannot add rolls to it. To hit with Scimitar- [roll0] and damage [roll1]. Here's another damage roll in case I crit- [roll2]

Ramsus
2020-04-14, 12:20 PM

Spore
2020-04-14, 12:34 PM
Oh my, such violence ****** spell finger* [roll0]

Amnestic
2020-04-14, 12:57 PM
R: [roll0][roll1] [roll2][roll3]
M: Dodge
LM: [roll4] (Potential: [roll5] [roll6] [roll7]
L: [roll8] vs. 13

ProudGrognard
2020-04-14, 01:29 PM
Amnestic, sorry, but did Aintas' reaction hit? If I understand the feats correctly, then the attacker has his speed dropped to 0 and does not move. He could not have hit Aintas.

Spore
2020-04-14, 01:35 PM
Disadvantage [roll0]

ProudGrognard
2020-04-15, 03:09 AM
Roll for crit [roll0]

Amnestic
2020-04-15, 07:07 AM
[roll0] [roll1] vs13
[roll2][roll3][roll4]

[roll5][roll6] vs S
[roll7][roll8] vs V

Amnestic
2020-04-16, 04:26 AM
[roll0][roll1]

text text text

Spore
2020-04-16, 06:26 AM
HP roll away! [roll0]

ProudGrognard
2020-04-16, 09:59 AM
Do we roll for HPs? I forgot, I just took average. OK let's go.

[roll0]

purepolarpanzer
2020-04-16, 10:05 AM
Hp roll for level 3 [roll0]. Average if it is less than 7 total will be 7.

Amnestic
2020-04-16, 10:38 AM
Do we roll for HPs? I forgot, I just took average. OK let's go.

[roll0]

Roll but minimum of average.

cigaw
2020-04-16, 11:18 AM
HP roooooooll: [roll0]

Yep. Average.

RandomWombat
2020-04-16, 11:25 AM
Rolling for HD: [roll0]

Ramsus
2020-04-16, 01:11 PM
Hit Dice: [roll0]

cigaw
2020-04-17, 01:14 PM
Melian will wait until the interrogation is over to pipe up while she processes the information that the dreams are similar.

@Amnestic, what does Melian know of possible causes or previous cases of multiple people experiencing similar dreams at the same time? Here are some skill checks that may be useful. Not sure if anything else may apply.

• Arcana: [roll0]
• History: [roll1]
• Religion: [roll2]

Also, sending familiar up to check that passed out drunk guy on the stairs is in fact passed out and not assassinated courtesy of Scrambles & Co.

edit: :smallyuk: to those rolls.

Amnestic
2020-04-17, 02:02 PM
Melian will wait until the interrogation is over to pipe up while she processes the information that the dreams are similar.

@Amnestic, what does Melian know of possible causes or previous cases of multiple people experiencing similar dreams at the same time? Here are some skill checks that may be useful. Not sure if anything else may apply.

• Arcana: [roll0]
• History: [roll1]
• Religion: [roll2]

Also, sending familiar up to check that passed out drunk guy on the stairs is in fact passed out and not assassinated courtesy of Scrambles & Co.

edit: :smallyuk: to those rolls.

He's indeed passed out. Chances are you could roll him down the three flights of stairs and he'd stay asleep.

You've heard rumours of group dreams/visions but usually they're associated with specifically meeting powerful spirits or deities, reserved for powerful or important individuals. It could all be superstitious bardtales though.

cigaw
2020-04-18, 06:36 PM
Assassin bird stone identification time:

• Detect Magic as a Ritual (also picks up anything magical within 30')
• Arcana: [roll0] | [roll1] (ADV)
• If anything else applies here's a preemptive d20: [roll2]

e: ooooh feeling like Aintas here :smallbiggrin:

Amnestic
2020-04-19, 04:19 AM
It gives off an aura of Divination magic, not strong, but persistent and long lasting. It looks to be a variant of the Arcane Mark spell, one that can have its mark detection transferred or shared with another - in this case, the delivery birds, and can apply to more than one object, but likely has limitations elsewhere to offset this.

You remember reading about similar stones or other small trinkets being used in military strategy to give better overview of troop movements, but it looks like it might have been repurposed for these unsavoury means.

Amnestic
2020-04-24, 02:19 PM
*whistles*

[roll0]

Amnestic
2020-04-26, 02:28 PM
[roll0][roll1]

[roll2][roll3]

RandomWombat
2020-04-27, 12:16 AM

cigaw
2020-04-27, 11:41 PM

ProudGrognard
2020-04-27, 11:52 PM
Aintas Initiative [roll0]

Amnestic
2020-04-28, 10:08 AM
Caelyn Initiative: [roll0]
Vyvian Initiative: [roll1]

Amnestic
2020-04-29, 12:53 PM
[roll0][roll1]

T: [roll2][roll3][roll4]
B: [roll5][roll6][roll7]

ProudGrognard
2020-04-29, 11:09 PM
Using Precision Attack maneuver, adding [roll0] to the attack roll.

Amnestic
2020-04-30, 08:05 AM
T: [roll0][roll1]
B: [roll2][roll3]
J: [roll4][roll5]

purepolarpanzer
2020-04-30, 11:13 AM
Concentration check at a DC 10- [roll0] for entangle.

Amnestic
2020-04-30, 01:29 PM
[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]

Spore
2020-05-02, 05:23 AM
It won't be relevant for this combat (or potentially the near future) but could people start thinking about magic items they'd want on their character for their intended playstyle/build. If you have any ideas, post them in the OOC thread (so it's easy to find). It's not intended as a 'shopping list' where you'll get everything you ask for - just ideas for me to build off of.
Once Melian's posted I'll throw up a next turn thingy.

Dear Satan.

Even though I was a bit naughty this year, I wish for the following:
- a Bag of Holding for senseless looting
- Heward's Handy Haversack for even MORE senseless looting. I promise not to evoke a rip in space and time if I get both things.
- a necklace of prayer beads. I like my wizard spells, but I have to be there for my family.
- a wand of magic missiles. Did I mention I like wizard spells?

I have many more wishes, that include stat boosting items or magic weapons but frankly they are incredibly silly. For one, +1 items are deadly boring to me. Stuff like Gauntlets of Ogre Strength oddly don't go on the fighter, because his strength is already insane. Then stuff that just clashes with style. Me getting bracers of archery would be insanely good, but I feel Caelee and/or Melian would take affront for me to be elvier than them. Plus some items are just made in such a way that Senna would never keep them for herself.

I like stuff that adds to my tool kit, or take stress out of my in group duties of buffing and healing so I can add other spells. Other than that, in the case of cleric items, I love these insanely divine stuff like candles of invocation, holy avengers, prayer beads or valkyrie helms. Even though in Senna's case, these items would rather be "a book that allows her to cast assorted bard/wizard spells", a statuette that allows her to summon a pegasus, a tabard with her god's holy symbol that allows her to provide bardic inspiration. Or something that shores up her frankly stupid options for Channel Divinity. Maybe just a copy of another cleric domain's ability, that expends the thing like regular, like Protection or Light domain's.

Amnestic
2020-05-02, 12:30 PM
[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]
[roll4][roll5]

Amnestic
2020-05-02, 12:31 PM
[roll0] Crit damage

RandomWombat
2020-05-02, 12:35 PM
Dear Bahamut Claws,

All I want for Dragonyule is a magical book of jokes that cause funny effects when they are told. I've been a very good boy and only made a bet with a Hellspawn once this year.

Sincerely, Sammy

Translation: A more jester-themed Bard-flavored take on The Grimoire of Questionable Spells, a magic item I've played with once or twice that produces a set number of scrolls for unusual spells (https://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=jokegrimoire) each day. They can range from useless to surprisingly helpful.

Aside from the joke item, I don't have any set plans for items I want or am after. I don't know the 5e magic item list very well so I'm happy to take whatever comes my way.

Ramsus
2020-05-02, 08:52 PM
Dear Tooth-faerie, I gave you a tooth. Now you are contractually obligated to give me items from the following wishlist.

Random Ideas
A pair of shortsword darksabers

A pair set of magical gemstone shortswords. Maybe pink and green tourmaline. (Effects? Some kind of to hit pluses would be nice and other fun effects would be great.) Or maybe one is both pink and green tourmaline and the other is amber. *shrug*

Runed Leather Armor (studded leather with some amount of + to AC and maybe gives one or more of the Rune Magic features from Rune Knight (Fighter Archetype) as part of an attack rather than requiring a bonus action or some other effect so that's it's not just +X armor).

Bracers or Gloves that give the Two-Weapon Fighting fighting style

Some kind of construct or (non-fire) elemental familiar/pet

Jade broach of Tongues (the spell, always on)

An endless supply of Trinkets to leave as gifts for people

A magical bet. No particular ideas. But maybe could have a magic item effect from something in the official content list that she already has an item of or is a ring effect because wearing rings with leather gloves sounds a bit... tricky really.

Official Content
Hide of the Feral Guardian (maybe change the polymorph creature types into all flying or all non-flying or maybe even things that aren't beasts, maybe elementals?)

Glamoured Studded Leather

Boots of Elvenkind

Cloak of Elvenkind

Dagger (or better yet shortsword) of Blindsight

Infiltrator's Key

Moonblade (but a shortsword and for CG alignment, though honestly a Moonblade with finesse and whatever else would probably better suit Melian)

Sword of the Paruns (but a shortsword)

Pretty much any magical sword but a shortsword that isn't intelligent, cursed, or emit lit.

Belt of Dwarvenkind

Censer of Controlling Air Elementals

Cloak of Arachnida

Cloak of Invisibility

Gloves of Thievery

Manual of Bodily Health

Periapt of Proof against Poison

Periapt of Wound Closure

Portable Hole

Ring of Air Elemental Command (assuming we're going to then fight an air elemental)

Ring of Earth Elemental Command (assuming we're going to then fight an air elemental)

Ring of Free Action

Ring of Invisibility

Ring of Protection

Ring of Spell Turning

Scarab of Protection

Slippers of Spider Climbing (though I'd prefer boots so they match the style of the character)

Stone of Good Luck

Tome of Leadership and Influence

ProudGrognard
2020-05-03, 01:02 AM
Dear and Great DM (Aintas has as a character ability to Break the 4th Wall, so he prays directly to the DM),

As a fighter, he unfortunately needs the boring items of Magic Weapon and Magic Armor (TM). However, if they could be quirky, memorable and unique that would be awesome (a Glaive or a Spear that shocks in a crit hit both the enemy AND Aintas, or which sings a battle hymn when it hits or something). Moreover, a Movement Thing (tm) would also be great, like teleporting 60 ft or moving double the movement once per short rest or allowing an attack after a Dash action etc etc.

On a tangent, why Charge is not part of 5e continues to baffle me to this day. It is cool, it is useful and it is easy to implement. What is Crawford's problem?

RandomWombat
2020-05-03, 01:22 AM
Charge is actually available via the Charger feat if you were looking for it.

Amnestic
2020-05-03, 05:37 AM
[roll0][roll1][roll2] Crit: [roll3]
[roll4][roll5][roll6] Crit: [roll7][roll8]

Amnestic
2020-05-03, 04:22 PM
[roll0] vs [roll]1d20+5

ProudGrognard
2020-05-04, 11:39 AM
Aintas reaction [roll0] plus precision attack maneuver added to attack roll [roll1] Damage [roll2]

purepolarpanzer
2020-05-06, 12:24 PM
Here's a survival roll for tracks [roll0] and a perception check [roll1] for the scene with the vultures.

ProudGrognard
2020-05-06, 02:45 PM
Here's a survival roll for tracks [roll0] and a perception check [roll1] for the scene with the vultures.

That was a very impressive Survival roll. If help is needed [roll0] and Perception [roll1]

purepolarpanzer
2020-05-06, 11:42 PM
Dear Santa,

I would really like a new staff- a staff of the woodlands, a staff of healing, or some other cool staff that lets me cast more spells.
Along those lines an Ioun Stone of Recovery would be really cool. More spells make Caelee happy.
Alternatively, a longbow that uses Wisdom for attacks and damage rolls would be pretty cool.
Ioun stones are nifty, even if they don't recover spells.
Additional wildshapes (and therefore more summonings) would be rad.
And scrolls and jewelry make great stocking stuffers!

Sincerely,
Caelyn Syol'arael.

Spore
2020-05-07, 05:48 AM
Initiative [roll0]
Int check about these vermin [roll1] +2 if it is Arcana or Religion instead of Nature.

purepolarpanzer
2020-05-07, 10:45 AM
Uh oh. Caelee stepped in it this time guys. [roll0] initiative.

RandomWombat
2020-05-07, 11:53 AM
Oh goody, we can get Aintas that Ankheg armor after all.

ProudGrognard
2020-05-07, 11:59 AM
Aintas initiative [roll0]

Ramsus
2020-05-07, 01:10 PM
Vyvian init: [roll0]

cigaw
2020-05-07, 10:00 PM
- To the Private Secretary of The Wonderworker -

Sir,

While conducting studious research at the renowned learning institution of Candlekeep I found references to your personage across multiple scholarly works dating back several editions. I attach a copy of the most recent article (https://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/Santa.pdf) I located but I am confident its description matches that found on even older publications.

It would seem tradition dictates I must first assure you I have strived toward exemplary behavior this past year and, while I may have given in to pranking my siblings on occasion and have indeed shirked my menial duties in favor of more scholarly pursuits, I entreat you to judge me favorably based on the whole of my actions as these have, I believe, yielded a positive net result toward goodness. It must then follow that I have been rendered immune to any coal dispensing for the time being.

This new section should now, as my research indicates, provide a list for material compensation in exchange for the aforementioned "good behavior". I submit said list for your approval; where applicable I have used technical jargon to facilitate understanding.

A magical (and preferably long) sword which can be wielded with finesse. Growing up I have always been partial to Flametongues and particularly Sunblades. I cannot overstate the significance of the Moonblade to my people and culture and would be delighted to be judged worthy or such an item. Researching old editions has also indicated the existence of the Artblade - alas a lost artefact which I hope one day be recovered.
Historically, bladesingers have been clad in light magical elven chainmail. While it seems that modern versions do not allow for a bladesinger to truly display their art perhaps you can manufacture one according to an older formula.
I would certainly not deny that magical elven chainmail may be eschewed in favor of the traditionally arcane white Robe of the Archmagi.
Some nice jewelry may be desirable, such as rings of free action or of spell turning or perhaps an amulet of health.
My cloak is getting a tad threadbare and a nice new cape of the mountebank, cloak of displacement or perhaps of arachnida would replace it nicely.
On the subject of footwear, a pair of slippers of spider climbing might do well to keep my feet warm.
Some reading material would also be great. I've read rave reviews of the Manuals of Bodily Health and Quickness of Action though, truth be told, I would really like a copy of the Tome of Clear Thought.
Perhaps an original first printing of the Tome of the Stilled Tongue?
Ioun stones!
Spell gems!
I would also like to meet more friendly students of the arcane arts who are willing to share spellbooks with me since learning spells from spell scrolls has become insane.

I hope this list has met all tradition requirements and that this missive finds you in good health. I would enjoy the opportunity to discuss the circumstances that led a group of elves to assist you in your endeavors in what seems to read as indentured servitude spanning several centuries but I digress - and leave you now to your works.

Yours faithfully,
Melian Galanodel

Amnestic
2020-05-08, 06:44 AM
[roll0]

[roll1][roll2][roll3]

RandomWombat
2020-05-08, 12:11 PM
Dex Save for half: [roll0]

ProudGrognard
2020-05-09, 12:26 AM
Dex save [roll0]

Amnestic, what about the will save for the Ankheg? Is it frightened?

Amnestic
2020-05-17, 07:27 AM
This thick grimoire is heavy in your hands - perhaps two hundred pages or so at a guess. Its cover is a mismatch of leathers from creatures you could only guess the origin of - most likely a variety of elemental planes. The script - bearing both Primordial and Draconic runes - prioritises that of Primordial first, Draconic second. As Firebead said, this is a copy. Most likely written by one who wished to bring the information to a wider audience by including a draconic translation given that primordial is a less prolific language among spellcasters.

The title of the tome translates roughly to Boreathar's Accounts of Elemental Binding. Just flicking into the first page or two shows a mirror of each page - the left is Primordial, the right is Draconic. Each one bears identical illustrations of spell circle designs. The tone is conversational, almost autobiographical, as opposed to directly instructional. The introductory pages are all extremely simple - talking about binding elemental forces as opposed to creatures, to mimic or copy the more traditional wizard spells such as firebolt but it ramps up quickly. You many need to spend an evening or two perusing it and making some arcana checks to suss out the full details for Vyvian's ritual.

Also history checks if you want to know more about Boreathar.

cigaw
2020-05-17, 11:27 PM
Melian's gonna be all over that thing. Including Detect Magic and Comprehend Languages rituals to figure it all out.

I'm gonna roll Arcana and History with Advantage anticipating someone will use the Help action. If not, disregard the second roll.

Arcana: [roll0] | [roll1]
History: [roll2] | [roll3]

Spore
2020-05-18, 03:41 AM
Senna is here for helping.

Amnestic
2020-05-18, 01:21 PM
Initiative

Enemies: [roll0]
Sam: [roll1]
Senna: [roll2]
Caelyn: [roll3]
Melian: [roll4]
Vyvian: [roll5]
Aintas: [roll6]

ProudGrognard
2020-05-19, 12:07 AM
Initiative

Enemies: [roll0]
Sam: [roll1]
Senna: [roll2]
Caelyn: [roll3]
Melian: [roll4]
Vyvian: [roll5]
Aintas: [roll6]

Aintas seems to be very quick for someone so burdened.

Amnestic
2020-05-19, 04:25 AM
Clearly it was his eagle eyes watching for any sign of danger.

Saves [roll0]
S [roll1]
Si: [roll2]
D: [roll3]

Maj: [roll4]

S: [roll5][roll6]
M: [roll7][roll8][roll9][roll10]
Si: [roll11]
D: [roll12]

ProudGrognard
2020-05-19, 10:33 AM
Hah. Two crits

[roll0]

and

[roll1]

purepolarpanzer
2020-05-19, 12:11 PM
Concentration roll- [roll0].

purepolarpanzer
2020-05-19, 12:23 PM
To hit rolls with searing ray- [roll0], [roll1], [roll2].

Amnestic
2020-05-20, 05:25 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4][roll5]

Amnestic
2020-05-22, 04:19 AM
Some of these are gonna need a lot more text than the others...

Ring of Pyroflows (requires attunement) – Whenever you cast a spell of 1st level or higher that deals fire damage, you regain one expended spell slot of a level lower than the spell cast, and can't be higher than 5th level.

So casting a 3rd level fire spell gives you either a 2nd or 1st level spell slot refresh, of your choice. Casting a 7th level fire spell would regain your choice of 1st to 5th level spell slots.

Mephit Marble
When this marble is thrown on the ground within 15', it breaks and immediately summons an ice mephit under the caster's control. This can be commanded verbally at no action. If uncommanded, it will act according to its best judgement. The mephit lasts for 1 minute before it is pulled back to the elemental planes. If the thrower is killed before the 1 minute expires, the mephit detonates.

Ice Mephit
Small elemental, neutral evil
Armor Class 11
Hit Points 21 (6d6)
Speed 30 ft., fly 30 ft.
STR7 (-2)
DEX13 (+1)
CON10 (+0)
INT9 (-1)
WIS11 (+0)
CHA12 (+1)
Skills Perception +2, Stealth +3
Damage Vulnerabilities Bludgeoning, Fire
Damage Immunities Cold, Poison
Condition Immunities Poisoned
Senses Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 12
Languages Aquan, Auran
Challenge 1/2 (100 XP)

Death Burst. When the mephit dies, it explodes in a burst of jagged ice. Each creature within 5 feet of it must make a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw, taking 4 (1d8) slashing damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

False Appearance. While the mephit remains motionless, it is indistinguishable from an ordinary shard of ice.

Innate Spellcasting.(1/Day). The mephit can innately cast fog cloud, requiring no material components. Its innate spellcasting ability is Charisma.
Actions

Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 3 (1d4 + 1) slashing damage plus 2 (1d4) cold damage.

Frost Breath (Recharge 6). The mephit exhales a 15- foot cone of cold air. Each creature in that area must succeed on a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw, taking 5 (2d4) cold damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Ring of Charging (requires attunement) - Grants you the Charger feat when you have this attuned.

Charger
When you use your action to Dash, you can use a bonus action to make one melee weapon attack or to shove a creature. If you move at least 10 feet in a straight line immediately before taking this bonus action, you either gain a +5 bonus to the attack’s damage roll (if you chose to make a melee attack and hit) or push the target up to 10 feet away from you (if you chose to shove and you succeed).

Bells of the Dead (requires attunement by a cleric)
Fastened tightly inside this leather carrying case are seven bells, each of different sizes and tone. They're all made of what may have been clean silver at one point but is now uniformly tarnished, its sheen dulled. The handles are solid, thick oak. Around the rim of each bell is an ornate design whose meaning is lost on you. It doesn't appear to be a language, but it does have purpose. Attuning to the bells as a whole is a long process as they seem to have minor wills of their own - they're not intelligent, necessarily, it's more like they've inherited desires of their maker(s). For the moment, you can only grasp the use of the 1st and 6th bells.

A tiny bell, one that emits a light tingling sound. It's small enough to grasp its handle between two fingers.
Can cast Sleep (at 2nd level), centred on the caster but excluding them. - 4 charges
Can cast Gentle Repose - 2 charges

A large bell. It has heft and weight to match its low, booming tone.
Can cast Suggestion - 4 charges
Can cast Hold Person - 5 charges

Unless otherwise specified, spells are cast at their lowest level. Each bell holds 7 charges and regains 1d4 charges at dawn. If someone unattuned tries to ring a bell, they've overcome by an immense feeling of dread and cold wrongness. The bells ring, but lack any magic in doing so.

The ritual Vyvian is looking for is described here. After Senna and Melian's deductions, it becomes clear that the primordial writer was more advanced than the draconic writer, and kept some details from them.

To successfully bind an elemental familiar as described, you will need a portion of elemental essence corresponding to the elemental summoned and the appropriately designed ring, along with a few more common ritual implements such as incense and chalk. For an air elemental, the book recommends iron as the base metal, mixed with a small donation of the intended wielder's blood (usually a few drops at most), and insists that the ring's band, while fitting firmly, should have a gap in it to allow for the 'air' to escape.

The ritual itself will take the better part of a day to complete, and for air it recommends an open air location such as a field or clearing.

In addition to the ritual, Melian notes a few spells that she may be able to use in the future. These are:
Elemental Weapon, Protection from Energy, Summon Elemental Spirit (UA), Elemental Bane

More time with the book may reveal more spells, as there's still more to read.

Boreathar was a white dragon of some repute. As the 'lowest' of his chromatic kind, he struggled for many years with the distinct feeling of inferiority. He was cunning, yes, but lacked the raw intelligence to grasp magical theory like his fellows - and especially like the Reds, who he disdained above all others. To this end he sought out other sources of power beyond his own. In both humanoid and dragon form, he spent a good portion of his young life seeking the shortcut that eluded him. His fortune was changed when he came across a young water genasi wizard, who he promptly kidnapped back to his lair. Using her expertise, he learned how to control the elements both directly and indirectly in ways that had previously been denied to him, even summoning full elementals to serve his bidding.

The water genasi died in his captivity after decades of slavery, but by that point he had amassed sufficient power and forces to strike out and set his ambitions in motion. An army of elementals streamed from the mountains he made his home into Thay, a still fledgling country at the time. Boreathar's hopes were cut short however when the leaders of Thay formed a pact with one of his hated red dragons, who killed him in single combat. Bereft of their leader, the elementals rampaged wildly until they were all successfully put down (or in some cases, rebound to a new master).

Boreathar's tome itself was discovered years later, penned by both genasi and Boreathar in tandem, though the wizard's name has been lost to time.

The tome itself is considered uncommon for most libraries, and holds a somewhat esoteric approach to elemental binding that defies conventional wisdom and knowledge, so it's somewhat soft-suppressed by the arcanist community at large.

Between Boreathar's Tome, Gorion's spellbook and the Bells, you've now got three items that pose new research options. Not applicable to this long rest, but for each one going forwards you can give me an arcana (or religion, for the bells, but not both at the same time) check along with your intended research subject for further details and potential boons. Don't expect it all at once though :P

Amnestic
2020-05-22, 10:53 AM
His clothes resemble that of a noble or samurai from Kara-Tur, though he doesn't look like he's a native. The sigil on his chest - a dawning sun - likewise isn't familiar. If it is of a noble family, it's certainly not a major one. It's unusual to see any so far west of their homeland without good cause.

Amnestic
2020-05-24, 11:42 AM
Gamble rolls:

Dex: [roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3]
Int: [roll4][roll5][roll6][roll7]

Dex: [roll8][roll9][roll10][roll11]
Int: [roll12][roll13][roll14][roll15]

Dex: [roll16][roll17][roll18][roll19]
Int: [roll20][roll21][roll22][roll23]

Dex: [roll24][roll25][roll26][roll27]
Int: [roll28][roll29][roll30][roll31]

ProudGrognard
2020-05-25, 12:12 AM
Can Aintas take the Ring? It seems appropriate.

Amnestic
2020-06-03, 03:39 AM
[roll0] vs. [roll1]

Amnestic
2020-06-08, 05:10 AM
Kagain Persuasion [roll0]

Ramsus
2020-06-12, 04:38 PM
History: [roll0]

RandomWombat
2020-06-12, 05:11 PM

purepolarpanzer
2020-06-12, 11:39 PM
History- [roll0]

Spore
2020-06-13, 03:57 AM
History [roll0]

Amnestic
2020-06-15, 03:42 PM
Initiative:
Sam - 17 (Discord)
Senna - [roll0]
Caelyn - [roll1]
Melian - [roll2]
Vyvian - 15 (Discord)

Enemies - [roll3]

Amnestic
2020-06-16, 04:45 AM
Saves: DC12
Sam: [roll0]
Senna: [roll1]
Caelyn: [roll2]
Melian: [roll3]
Vyvian: [roll4]

SG: [roll5][roll6] vs [roll7]

Amnestic
2020-06-16, 04:46 AM
[roll0] whoops forgot this

Amnestic
2020-06-17, 06:25 AM
Seth Bane: [roll0]
Seth Leadership: [roll1]

Seth1: [roll2] [roll3] [roll4]
Seth2: [roll5] [roll6] [roll7]

Anna1: [roll8] [roll9] [roll10][roll11] [roll12] vs. 15
Anna2: [roll13] [roll14] [roll15][roll16] [roll17] vs. 15
Anna3: [roll18] [roll19] [roll20][roll21]

Duessel1: [roll22][roll23][roll24][roll25]
Duessel2:[roll26][roll27][roll28][roll29]

Amnestic
2020-06-17, 06:32 AM
Look at me forgetting bane and leadership. Only gonna bother with the ones where it might actually matter.

Seth1: [roll0] [roll1]

Anna3 - [roll2][roll3]

Amnestic
2020-06-18, 06:30 AM
Seth:
vs [roll2]
[roll3] [roll4]1d20+3[roll5] vs 19 / 11, [roll6][roll7] vs. 12

[roll8][roll9] minus [roll10] plus [roll11] vs 19 [roll12] [roll13] vs 11.

Anna: [roll14] [roll15] [roll16]

Duessel: [roll17][roll18] minus [roll19] [roll20]

purepolarpanzer
2020-06-18, 11:33 AM
To hit rolls against Seth/Duessel- [roll0], [roll1], [roll2] EDIT- so 2 misses and one crit for 10 damage. Hopefully that makes him consider tapping out.

purepolarpanzer
2020-06-18, 11:29 PM
According to cigaw I should have advantage on my attack rolls, so here come some rerolls to hit on Seth- [roll0], [roll1]

Amnestic
2020-06-19, 05:32 AM
[roll0][roll1] minus [roll2] [roll3]
[roll4][roll5] minus [roll6] [roll7]
[roll8]

[roll9] minus [roll10] [roll11] [roll12]
[roll13] minus [roll14] [roll15] [roll16]

[roll17]

Amnestic
2020-06-20, 05:22 AM
[roll0][roll1] vs. 13
[roll2]

[roll3][roll4][roll5][roll6] [roll7]
[roll8][roll9][roll10][roll11] [roll12]

Amnestic
2020-06-21, 06:47 AM
[roll0] vs. 13

[roll1] [roll2] vs. 13 [roll3]

Amnestic
2020-06-28, 03:13 AM
Tattoos like this aren't common these days, but they were used widely in Rashemen a few centuries ago. Warriors of Rashemen would get tattoos that slowly evolved and were added to over time to weave a tapestry of victories and defeats, such that those familiar could tell a warrior's experience at a mere glance at their tattoo. Over the years they became less and less popular. Assuming the man is keeping with the old tradition though, he's still early days for his escapades.

Or it could just be a fashion statement from a Cormyrian who've been known to 'adopt' foreign styles as a way to get attention.

cigaw
2020-07-03, 08:05 PM

Amnestic
2020-07-09, 07:02 AM
Sam: 20 (IC thread)
Senna: [roll0]
Caelyn: [roll1]
Melian: [roll2]
Vyvian: [roll3]

Enemies: [roll4]

Amnestic
2020-07-10, 04:37 AM
BMN: [roll0][roll1] [roll2] [roll3] vs 13
BMNB: [roll4][roll5] [roll6] [roll7] vs 13

BMS: [roll8][roll9] [roll10] [roll11] vs 13
BMSB: [roll12][roll13] [roll14] [roll15] vs 13

SMN: [roll16][roll17][roll18]

SMS: [roll19][roll20][roll21]

SB: [roll22][roll23] [roll24] vs 13
SBB: [roll25][roll26] [roll27] vs 13

Amnestic
2020-07-11, 03:43 AM
Minsc1: + [roll3]
Minsc1: [roll4] [roll5] + [roll6] [roll7]

SMN: [roll8] [roll9][roll10]
SME: [roll11][roll]1d20+2/roll] vs 13 [roll12]

DMN: [roll13] vs. 14
DMS: [roll14] vs. 14

SV: [roll15] vs 13 2d6+3
SS: vs 13 2d6+3

DS: [roll17][roll18][roll19] [roll20] vs 13
DSB: [roll21][roll22][roll23] [roll24] vs 13

Spore
2020-07-11, 07:59 AM
I screwed up the syntax. [roll0]

Amnestic
2020-07-13, 04:37 AM
Minsc: [roll0][roll1] [roll2] [roll3]
Minsc: [roll4][roll5] [roll6] [roll7]

DogSave1: [roll8] vs 14
DogSave2: [roll9] vs 14

DogAttack: [roll10] [roll11] [roll12] vs 13

Amnestic
2020-07-13, 04:42 AM
Whoops, missed off the spider:

[roll0] [roll1]

Amnestic
2020-07-15, 12:13 PM
Init: [roll0]

Perc: [roll1]

Speculative:
[roll2][roll3]
[roll4][roll5]
[roll6][roll7]

[roll8][roll9]
[roll10][roll11]
[roll12][roll13]

Amnestic
2020-07-16, 04:15 AM
Lets see if Melian is any more persuasive...

[roll0]

[roll1][roll2]
[roll3][roll4]
[roll5][roll6]

[roll7][roll8]
[roll9][roll10]

cigaw
2020-07-17, 02:01 AM
Fëanáro's scouting trip:

Not sure if checks are needed buuuuut:
• Stealth: [roll0]
• Perception: [roll1] | [roll2] (ADV, Keen Senses)

It'd be great if we can get the lay of the land, so to speak. :smallsmile:

cigaw
2020-07-21, 12:45 AM
• Guidance for a stealthier familiar: [roll0]

RandomWombat
2020-07-21, 10:15 AM
Pre-emptively rolling Initiative, as I'm running a game later today and may not be here when combat starts:

[roll0]