PDA

View Full Version : PCs as Mad Scientists (Idea Thread)

Leliel
2007-10-23, 08:25 PM
During my musings, I thought "What would make a good maverick campaign?"
After a couple of hours musing that idea, as well as a short trip to TV Tropes, I thought "Why not one where the PCs have a bad (good) case of that terrible (wonderful) disease, Science Related Memetic Disorder (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScienceRelatedMemeticDisorder)?"

So here's the skinny. Somehow, your PCs become mildly deranged yet highly intelligent before or soon after the start of the game. Maybe they were born that way. Maybe they read the Book of Shadows (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.BookOfShadows)/Tome Of Eldrich Lore (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TomeOfEldritchLore) too long (Or in the latter case, read it at all). Maybe they contracted the actual disease (Symptoms include functioning tumors within the brain, mild schizophrenia, an inferiority complex, and a liking for white coats). Whatever the reason, the PC's have got a nasty case of SMRD (though that isn't necessarily a bad thing), and have got to learn to live (And adventure!) with this not-so-debilitating condition.

So what do you guys think? How would you, the responders run such a campaign?

Muh-ha-ha, my thread lives! Now, post on it...Feed it...LET MY CREATION GROW!!!!

Oh, and thank you.:smallwink:

BRC
2007-10-23, 08:28 PM
I have a Mad-Scientist Homebrew class all typed up, alongwith a few additional rules for them and useful items, but the internet on my laptop isnt working so I can't post it until it starts working again
*Glares at laptop*
EDIT: AHAH, IT WORKED!
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3401109#post3401109

Dullyanna
2007-10-23, 09:05 PM
TV tropes... I ****ing hate that site, whilst loving it all the same. I've come to learn that whenever I open a link to it, at least one hour of my life is automatically down the crapper, without a reflex save. Anyway, I have to second the comrade's homebrew, as it seems to have the corresponding crunch to go with a Mad Scientist's fluffy hairdo.

Leliel
2007-10-24, 01:08 PM
I have a Mad-Scientist Homebrew class all typed up, alongwith a few additional rules for them and useful items, but the internet on my laptop isnt working so I can't post it until it starts working again
*Glares at laptop*
EDIT: AHAH, IT WORKED!
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3401109#post3401109

Hmm...Nice. I was thinking along the lines of a template, but still...

Oh, and Dullyhana, don't hate TV Tropes. It's a good way to pass the time!

Dullyanna
2007-10-24, 01:13 PM
Sorry if I didn't make this clear, but I love TVTropes. The problem is that it's too good of a way to pass the time. Oh, and try to ignore any typos I make for a while. My left thumb is acting wonky, and I don't have any feeling in one of my middle fingers.

Leliel
2007-10-25, 05:42 PM
Oh, come on! There has got to be someone thats interested!

Kurald Galain
2007-10-25, 05:51 PM
Dig up Tradition Book: Sons of Ether (from Mage: the Ascension). It's the penultimate authority of mad scientists, even portable to other settings.

Golthur
2007-10-25, 08:24 PM
Other mad scientisty-things:

Deadlands has a for real mad scientist, with all source of crazy tech goodness. I've never looked at the d20 version, but it might just be what you're looking for.

Etherscope (d20) is essentially Victorian steampunk, which might have some useful bits in it.

Mr Pants
2007-10-25, 08:54 PM
I have also homebrewed a Mad Scientist class of sorts. It would use injections and drugs to increase its physical prowess. The downside is it was homebrewed for another game that advances at about double the rate of DnD.

Lemur
2007-10-25, 09:16 PM
How would I want to run it? Girl Genius, all the way. I'd let the players know that it was a mad science campaign, but if a player wanted to be something different, like a sane scientist, a mad non-scientist, or an ordinary person, I'd let 'em do that too, to add some variety, and hopefully some interesting group dynamics. Players would have incentives for sticking with mad science though, since it should generally provide the most benefits in game.

Prometheus
2007-10-25, 11:07 PM
I think true mad science is not having to use the power but wanting to; and also clearly overstepping bounds of morality. Such as:
1) creating destroying life as a secondary concern or source of amusement
2) Quests for immortality or invulnerability
3) Doomsday Devices
4) Power for the sake of power
5) Unleashing an uncontrollable force (monster)
I think a character sketch that includes a flaw or a compulsion to furfill or ignore one of these considerations would be a great streak of madness, especially for a caster type. I think it would only be effective for a party if they all had different madnesses or reasons for it. Maybe the path to each goal is one in the same.

Perhaps a powerful artifact with a strong drawback fufills many of their desires, but players must not only obtain and activate the artifact but not have to deal with the consequences. That kind of hubris is the foundation of many classical works (although none come to mind at the moment), where the protagonist struggles not only against nature but the unfairness inherent in it.

Leliel
2007-10-26, 12:20 PM
Interesting, interesting...Keep em' coming.

mostlyharmful
2007-10-26, 04:19 PM
If Artifacer isn't crying out for a mad scientist BBEG surrounded by all manner of wacky toys and minions i don't know what is.

"IT'S ALLIIIIIIIIVVVEEE!!!!!"
"Well technically sir Golems don't count as living per say"
"I'm not talking to you, nobody listens to the opinionated shrubbery!!!"

Leliel
2007-10-27, 11:54 AM
Well, the golem being alive depends.

On whether or not the golem is Warforged.:smallbiggrin: